JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Biggwillie wrote: »
    This is open to debate but my vote goes with R. Kelly. Can anyone dethrone him?

Father time is working on it though...haven't heard that yearly banger like we used to get ever summer.
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Wow, just wow . You have every right to your opinion . And I am not even mad that u think Trey is the best thing going. But calling BSN "lackluster"is just plain disrespectful.

I couldnt get into it Slim... It was well recieved by many, but I think it was more so the fact that Maxwell was away for so long and then returned then the album itself... Pretty Wings, Bad Habits and Fistful of Tears all exceptional... Playing Possum was good... but then on the other end of the spectrum you got songs like Cold, Help Somebody and Stop the World which to me were bad... No knock to Maxwell though... Just my opinion

And Im listening to Possum again now, its the music that gets me on this one, the instrumentation is what I love, the lyrics not so much... Overall good song though
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont think anyone can take Kellz off the throne for a long time

unless chris brown steps up
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    I dont think anyone can take Kellz off the throne for a long time

unless chris brown steps up
    I dont think Chris makes those R kelly type of songs. He like an Omarion type cat. I think Trey Songz might do it.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    I think Trey Songz might do it.

Nope nope . . .
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I couldnt get into it Slim... It was well recieved by many, but I think it was more so the fact that Maxwell was away for so long and then returned then the album itself... Pretty Wings, Bad Habits and Fistful of Tears all exceptional... Playing Possum was good... but then on the other end of the spectrum you got songs like Cold, Help Somebody and Stop the World which to me were bad... No knock to Maxwell though... Just my opinion

And Im listening to Possum again now, its the music that gets me on this one, the instrumentation is what I love, the lyrics not so much... Overall good song though

And dont get me wrong if its not your thing its not your thing. But it is far from lackluster. Just on the instrumentation level . Most singers cant ever offer you that level of musicianship.The musical quality is better than most artist whole albums But hey everything is not for everybody.
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I just feel as though right now Trey Songz is in the forefront of R&B music, it has been that way for some time and will be that way for some time.... But in conclusion ironically I reference Maxwell, for "music is a contributioin, not a competition" all of the artist referred to in this thread have made great contributions to music as a whole, and there will never be a clear cut way to dertimine a king.
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    trey songz got a long minute before he even be in talk of taking over R Kellz spot
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    his last album,was kinda dope,that was his only CD i feel can be compared to a kelly CD
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why hasnt Tank been mentioned yet?
  • Mrslim1
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why hasnt Tank been mentioned yet?

He does have the songwriting credits . But has had experienced minimal success as a solo artist.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I understand the success thing, I'm kinda torn on it though. I think if he gets bigger than what he is the pressure will force him to change. Tank's last two albums have be phenomenal IMO.
  • Mrslim1
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I understand the success thing, I'm kinda torn on it though. I think if he gets bigger than what he is the pressure will force him to change. Tank's last two albums have be phenomenal IMO.

It depends on the artist . If the artist's music and artistic integrity is intact you wont see the change in the music . Artist like Kem and Sade have maintained there integrity and still have experienced a good amount of success .
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Tank Gotta Come out with more Heat

the beats he gotta step on

his songwriting is great
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I just feel as though right now Trey Songz is in the forefront of R&B music, it has been that way for some time and will be that way for some time.... But in conclusion ironically I reference Maxwell, for "music is a contributioin, not a competition" all of the artist referred to in this thread have made great contributions to music as a whole, and there will never be a clear cut way to dertimine a king.

that's just it though..Trey's brand of R&B is nothing more than R. Kelly light, the 90's version of R. Kelly...his songs, music, image, have all been done before and ran into the ground...the best songs that Trey Songz makes like "Flatline", "One Love", majority of his first album, "For The Sake of Our Love" either end up on the internet for free or just sitting on his album never to be made singles...he's comfortable in that 106 &Park crowd and that's the most fickle audience to cater to...once that crowd finds another ? they like seeing taking his shirt off on stage Trey Songz is easily replaced...there's nothing about his most successful songs really that stand out, make them not even timeless but at the very least don't seem like they're "trend songs"...songs just following the current radio/industry trend which is what he's doing...just look at his singles, they mirror the Ready album..Bottoms Up= Say Ahh, Unusual=Invented Sex, Love Faces=Neighbors Know My Name...Can't Be Friends is the only song that didn't sound like he'd sung it on his last album out of the singles he picks...
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    that's just it though..Trey's brand of R&B is nothing more than R. Kelly light, the 90's version of R. Kelly...his songs, music, image, have all been done before and ran into the ground...the best songs that Trey Songz makes like "Flatline", "One Love", majority of his first album, "For The Sake of Our Love" either end up on the internet for free or just sitting on his album never to be made singles...he's comfortable in that 106 &Park crowd and that's the most fickle audience to cater to...once that crowd finds another ? they like seeing taking his shirt off on stage Trey Songz is easily replaced...there's nothing about his most successful songs really that stand out, make them not even timeless but at the very least don't seem like they're "trend songs"...songs just following the current radio/industry trend which is what he's doing...just look at his singles, they mirror the Ready album..Bottoms Up= Say Ahh, Unusual=Invented Sex, Love Faces=Neighbors Know My Name...Can't Be Friends is the only song that didn't sound like he'd sung it on his last album out of the singles he picks...

I agree with you on Flatline and those other osngs that should have been on albums but the fact that you heard them doesnt take away that he made them and are great songs..

As far as the singles go it is what it is.. They are still nice songs regardless if they sound like a previous song that was made
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    1988-1992 Robert Brown
    1993-1996 R.Kelly
    1996- Maxwell
    1998-2000 R.Kelly
    2000- D'Angelo
    2000-2002 R.Kelly
    2002- Musiq Soulchild
    2001-2005- Usher
    2005-2007 Vacated or Justin Timberlake???
    2007-2008- Chris Brown??
    2008-2009 Trey Songz
    2009-2010- Maxwell
    2011- ????
  • thatni99ajahmal
    edited May 2011
    Options
    1988-1992 Robert Brown
    1993-1996 R.Kelly
    1996- Maxwell
    1998-2000 R.Kelly
    2000- D'Angelo
    2000-2002 R.Kelly
    2002- Musiq Soulchild
    2001-2005- Usher
    2005-2007 Vacated or Justin Timberlake???
    2007-2008- Chris Brown??2008-2009 Trey Songz
    2009-2010- Maxwell
    2011- ????

Im i the only person that doesnt really consider him R&B??
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Im i the only person that doesnt really consider him R&B??

enh i cant be mad at that.i can definitely see that i consider him a lost soul trying to force himself but thats neither here nor there
    Id actually let Ne-Yo replace him
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I agree with you on Flatline and those other osngs that should have been on albums but the fact that you heard them doesnt take away that he made them and are great songs..

As far as the singles go it is what it is.. They are still nice songs regardless if they sound like a previous song that was made

I credit him for making those songs...where I discredit him is not having the artistic integrity to put those on his album as opposed to just singing the same old ? ...I hate artists, any artists even artists I like, re-making the same song no matter how talented they are...I have no issue with Trey Songz making records like Say Ahh, Unusual (that beat is ridiculous), but at the same time that's become the entire image of him as an artists and when I hear songs when I see he can offer more than that yet settles it's like a waste of talent IMO...
  • thatni99ajahmal
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I credit him for making those songs...where I discredit him is not having the artistic integrity to put those on his album as opposed to just singing the same old ? ...I hate artists, any artists even artists I like, re-making the same song no matter how talented they are...I have no issue with Trey Songz making records like Say Ahh, Unusual (that beat is ridiculous), but at the same time that's become the entire image of him as an artists and when I hear songs when I see he can offer more than that yet settles it's like a waste of talent IMO...

Thats understandable..

But you can also argue Kellz did the samething until he was forced to reinvent himself..
  • deaththreats
    deaththreats Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gotta roll wit R Kelly.....he was smashing the game for about 10+ years...Usher might be the next ? in line...Trey aint been out long enough for him to get the King title
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    what about akon?
    or joe?
    or mario?
    or omarion?
    or jodeci?
    or tony rich?

? Please . . .