What is wrong with 'acting white'?

Options

Comments

• Oneblackrose2hi
    Oneblackrose2hi Members Posts: 401 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ...i used to get teased all the time for 'sounding/acting white'....i would call this guys house and his sister'd be like 'there's a white lady on the phone for you!'....at school was worse...but I lived in a few different regions and i never developed an accent or slang..so i read alot and i say words the way they sound in my head...

...what's sad is that people associate good behavior/proper speech with 'acting white'....that's like..internal racism...

...but on the other hand if people would just learn to be themselves and stop 'acting' altogether, we'd all be better off...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First of all the fact that most people believe "Acting white" is in some way POSITIVE or something to brag about is a serious problem right there.

Speaking properly is acting white? REALLY? MOst crackers sound more like Larry the Cable Guy than James Bond. So "sounding white" isn't something one should aspire to. Most whites have never graduated from college so once again...why the ? would you wanna be white? White people are polite and well mannered? You seen the Rodney King beating ? ? That wasnt polite worth a damn.

THe reality is if you really want to "Act white" you do the following:

1. Lie on people for no other reason than they're people of color.
    2. ? as many women as possible because you can
    3. ? upwards of 5-25 people in a mass murder spree because ? told you to in a voice in your head
    4. Make excuses for racists and then call whoever calls you out on it a "reverse racist"
    5. Steal as much land and property from natives as you can and use religion as an excuse
    6. Kidnap as many people as possible and lock them in your basement for slave labor.
    7. Have the vocabulary of Sarah Palin's ? son and call it "sourthern twang" but call blacks who use slang "ghetto."

BASICALLY BE THE MOST DISGUSTING, IGNORANT AND POPPUS ? OF A SUBHUMAN BEING YOU CAN...OK now you're "Acting White."

lmao alot of truth here
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    every so often, i'll meet a black woman that tells me "you talk proper"

im like, "thank you?"
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • MoonKnight
    MoonKnight Members Posts: 8
    edited February 2010
    Options
    People always put labels on other people because they can't wrap their minds around larger concepts/ideas. A few years back, I endured my "criticisms" because I spoke articulate,proper english and sat in the front of the classroom, made good grades and enjoyed reading. I never acted "white". I've always been myself, never took anything from anybody, never compromised my principle and it has garnered me personal success in my professional and personal life.
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    if ya white, ya right. if ya black stay back.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    doesnt this thread get made at least once a week?...by the same poster?
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »
    doesnt this thread get made at least once a week?...by the same poster?

lmao.......

You ain't right.
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    People need to stop thinking talking white = Talking proper.Denzel Washington and Will Smith both talk proper but sound like educated black men.Most the time someone says somebody talks white they are talking about the dialect.You can talk uneducated but still sound like a white boy

Anybody that take acting white as a compliment is a ? /uncle tommy
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I be wondering how y'all ? be stumbling on these old ass threads. This ? HAD to be buried on like the 30th page.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    People need to stop thinking talking white = Talking proper.Denzel Washington and Will Smith both talk proper but sound like educated black men.Most the time someone says somebody talks white they are talking about the dialect.You can talk uneducated but still sound like a white boy

Anybody that take acting white as a compliment is a ? /uncle tommy

Agreed. When most people say u act white. I have never heard someone say Denzel or Will act white.
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I be wondering how y'all ? be stumbling on these old ass threads. This ? HAD to be buried on like the 30th page.

lmao

10 charecters
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    People who equate those who speak eloquently, sound educated, are able to articulate themselves in a manner which displays superior verbal skills that are well versed in many fields are subconsciously implying that "greatness" should not be expected by black people but by default we should assume that any black person who comes off as intelligent is trying to be something they are not and are trying to "act white."
  • NatTurner1972
    NatTurner1972 Members Posts: 239
    edited May 2011
    Options
    According to some people, if you

are educated
    speak proper english
    are polite and well-mannered
    don't believe that intimidation has to be a part of your demeanor.
    etc.

then you're 'acting white'*

But if that is acting white, what is wrong with it?

Smh @ these people reserving all the good things for white people.

* Now I don't believe it is possible to act white, I'm just using the phrase 'acting white' the way some people use it.

Man in that case I'm Martin and this is how I act in real life so I guess I'm acting like a ? /Black oh well I'll take it as a compliment it's all good
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My new roommates *? I wish they move out* say I talk white. They said that's how I got my job. I tried to get one of my roommates a job at the company i work for. I hooked her up with an interview and everything through a best friend of mine no less and she still didn't get the gig. Haha she said it was on some racist ? but he told me she was stupid as ? lol............I guess she doesn't talk white enough period.
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A lot of people say I "talk white", but I dont really give a damn.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    t/s is a disgusting self hater

he's probably white.
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    not a gosh ? thing my friend.
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A lot of people say I "talk white", but I dont really give a damn.

When I want to get white girls I talk black and when I'm tryna get a black girls I start talking white and smart. lol
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What is wrong with 'acting white'?
    According to some people, if you

are racist
    speak against equal-rights
    are hateful and xenophobic
    don't believe that tolerance has to be a part of your demeanor.
    etc.

then you're 'acting white'*

But if that is acting white, what is wrong with it?

Smh @ these people reserving all these things for white people.

* Now I don't believe it is possible to act white, I'm just using the phrase 'acting white' the way some people use it.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    nothing is worse when a white person tells a black that they "act white" or "talk white". I wish a ? would come at me with some BS like that.
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Over a year later this thread still seems solid to me. If someone says that x = acting white, but x seems like a good thing that any member of any race should want to have, of course it makes sense to ask, "if x is 'acting white,' and x seems so unimpeachably good, what's wrong with 'acting white'?"

Leaving the good things for white people is to unilaterally disarm ourselves in the racial struggle for resources and prestige.
  • kahhh-pri
    kahhh-pri Members Posts: 1,015 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    People who say this ? are just flatout ignorant. There's no such thing as "acting white".
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Over a year later this thread still seems solid to me. If someone says that x = acting white, but x seems like a good thing that any member of any race should want to have, of course it makes sense to ask, "if x is 'acting white,' and x seems so unimpeachably good, what's wrong with 'acting white'?"

Leaving the good things for white people is to unilaterally disarm ourselves in the racial struggle for resources and prestige.

You actin real white right now...
  • da champ
    da champ Members Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2011
    Options
    before i was a teacher i was a teacher's assistant. the school had 25 book campaign (tried to get everyone in the school to read 25 books).

because a lot of young males don't read, i took it upon myself to participate in the campaign by reading books from the school library and recommending them on the morning announcements. when one of them kids said, "every time i see you you're always holding a book. why do you act so white Mr. ______?" it just broke my heart.

seriously? some of our youth consider education or even just reading to be a white person's hobby?