Cam Newton's prospects as a pro wit the Panthers?

Options
2»

Comments

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    and Cam has done well under pressure and while being scrutinized and slammed daily in the media. Locker has never had to deal with that.

really he has?? There's still talk about his mental, how is that doing well under pressure..and he has not faced any PRESSURE of the nfl on and off the field.

I think katz really dont realize this everytime and are shocked when some of these number one picks dont pan out....i would love to go back when J. Russell was drafted and V.Young and see how many ppl thought they had a great upside...look at them now...

Cam might actually do well..but what he is about to face is a whole diff animal and that gets looked over all the time by fans and the players they root for.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    But that's different than being hated by 80% of the general public. Locker's scrutiny was immediately turned into a positive, until he started failing on the field. Cam had a HUGE negative over his head from week 5 of the season and had to endure questions about his character and integrity on a daily basis, and somehow he managed to handle it better than many professionals do. Cam has the media part down cold, he just needs to get that playbook down and really prove haters wrong...

he has?? really?? that aint ? compared to what could help in the nfl...why cuz he went through ? about NCAA violations..that aint nothing new....katz still get that now they professional; O.J. Mayo, R.Bush...maybe i'm reading this wrong

but when did Cam become M.Vick was his problems????
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    really he has?? There's still talk about his mental, how is that doing well under pressure..and he has not faced any PRESSURE of the nfl on and off the field.

I think katz really dont realize this everytime and are shocked when some of these number one picks dont pan out....i would love to go back when J. Russell was drafted and V.Young and see how many ppl thought they had a great upside...look at them now...

Cam might actually do well..but what he is about to face is a whole diff animal and that gets looked over all the time by fans and the players they root for.

obviously none of these guys have face nfl game pressure, but Cam is the only one who has gotten a taste of how the media can treat a player and how fans can treat and attack a player. Dealing with critics and reporters and people trying to bring you down is part of being an NFL player, and that is an area that Cam has a leg up, because he experienced it, dealth with it, and responded.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think he's gonna be fine. If that booing didn't fire3 his ass up to go work hard then nothign will.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

I hear what your saying but hindsight is always 20/20. In Russell and VY's cases, they were both universally praised. Sure som had doubts about their actual ability but they never faced what Cam had to go through for an entire season in College. That's the difference.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options
    obviously none of these guys have face nfl game pressure, but Cam is the only one who has gotten a taste of how the media can treat a player and how fans can treat and attack a player. Dealing with critics and reporters and people trying to bring you down is part of being an NFL player, and that is an area that Cam has a leg up, because he experienced it, dealth with it, and responded.

and what was V.Young? rememberthe first time he was benched??????, remember wonderlic test and all the hype about that..the how did he take it the benching? every draft pick gets torn apart some..there's countless stories of these players i.e. the brady 6 doc. and that was way before brady got into an NFL game

like i said and what i just dont get is...what the hell did Cam go thru again that was so bad and has him ready? cuz so far i see absolutely nothing.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    I hear what your saying but hindsight is always 20/20. In Russell and VY's cases, they were both universally praised. Sure som had doubts about their actual ability but they never faced what Cam had to go through for an entire season in College. That's the difference.

what he had to face going thru college was nothing....in general what u faced in college is nothing compared to what you will face in the rea-worldl as a professional. u can use that equations for anything sports or other.

again stop me when we the media hasnt covered a story about a kid, or college recruiter f'ing up in college. if memory serves me correct. doesnt ohio state got a couple katz unable to start next season because of violation....sorry man Cam's situation color me "unimpressed"

i just know ish is harder when u become a professional, to me what Cam went through aint ish man. It really wasnt..just got his name out there more..u think he really gave a f...all he was paying attention to was his millions he was gonna be making in the NFL..cuz it damn sure wasnt his next test, he knew he was gonna be drafted...nobody in the nfl was not gonna take him cuz of some NCAA violation..
  • Darius
    edited April 2011
    Options
    and what was V.Young? rememberthe first time he was benched??????, remember wonderlic test and all the hype about that..the how did he take it the benching? every draft pick gets torn apart some..there's countless stories of these players i.e. the brady 6 doc. and that was way before brady got into an NFL game

like i said and what i just dont get is...what the hell did Cam go thru again that was so bad and has him ready? cuz so far i see absolutely nothing.

He went through the media pressures that most NFL qbs have to deal with and it didn't rattle him. Does that mean he will be good? No. But it is a sign that he can handle the criticism and the media and those two things can often affect play and run a player out of the league
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options
    He went through the media pressures that most NFL qbs have to deal with and it didn't rattle him. Does that mean he will be good? No. But it is a sign that he can handle the criticism and the media and those two things can often affect play and run a player out of the league

understand what you are saying..all i'm saying it...in the pros its' 2X AS MORE..it's increased...how did he handle it, he ignored it and play'd football...that does not show me he can handle any pressure in the pros...espeically if he had his "yes man" telling him "dont sweat this..u gotta get paid"

when ur a pro, the media has access to you more, u college u can be protected (i.e. your coach) in the pros...u are left out there on a island to be a man....pro media>>>>>>>college media basically
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Offensive Rookie of the Year?

No bust as a QB with nothing but athleticism going for him.
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Just curious on why ya'll keep comparing Vince Young and Cam Newton , or Jamarcus Russell to Cam???

Jamarcus Russell Plays nothing like Cam Newton , his style of play in college wasnt anything close to that....and Cam was a better passer than Vince coming out of college, Vince motion was flawed as ? and never had a strong arm to me, when have you ever seen Vince throughout a game just Zip passes and go 'that was a Bullet" , Vince throws always Fluttered to me...

is it just cause they're Black Qb's so you feel like he has to be compared to Black Qb's??
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Just curious on why ya'll keep comparing Vince Young and Cam Newton , or Jamarcus Russell to Cam???

Jamarcus Russell Plays nothing like Cam Newton , his style of play in college wasnt anything close to that....and Cam was a better passer than Vince coming out of college, Vince motion was flawed as ? and never had a strong arm to me, when have you ever seen Vince throughout a game just Zip passes and go 'that was a Bullet" , Vince throws always Fluttered to me...

is it just cause they're Black Qb's so you feel like he has to be compared to Black Qb's??

not how they play but the situations they been in, and i for one did mention white QBs ryan leaf, and tim couch as well.
  • Nut Did N' Cider
    Nut Did N' Cider Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

I only compared him to Russell cuz he was the last black QB to be taken # overall. And I hate people thinkin that black qbs can't grasp the mental complexities of the position. So imo Cam gotta Sheen and become an elite qb for the sake of the community
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    not how they play but the situations they been in, and i for one did mention white QBs ryan leaf, and tim couch as well.

But again why?? they play nothing alike ....
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options
    But again why?? they play nothing alike ....

being a number one draft picks
    handling situations on and off the field
    handling pressure/controversy
    does that transalant to you having the mental capacity to be a a good QB
  • Darius
    edited April 2011
    Options
    damn Cam is gonna take Clausen's job and his jersey
  • VulcanRaven
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @ KOP: I keep comparing them because the coaches will miss handle him like the others.He dominated in College with his athleticism like Young who was not properly prepared for the NFL.You know he will have a shorter leash being black too and will not get the proper time to develop.Then there will be more pressure on him going number one.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Idk why people keep saying VY hasn't produced in the league
  • VulcanRaven
    edited April 2011
    Options

ROFL He hasn't.

The best season they had since probably the SB with McNair was lead by Old Ass Kerry Collins.Unfortunately they had to play the Ravens after the first round bye.What has VY accomplished in the NFL,seriously?

VY is NOT a franchise QB.
  • ghost!
    edited April 2011
    Options

not much to be an NFL starter. Whose he starting for?

Teams want McNabb and Kolb....anyone want VY???
This discussion has been closed.