Anyone on the IC suffer from depression?

Options
ItzGravitation
ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
Does anyone ever just feel down even after a good day?

Anyone feel suicidal for no reason at times?

I suffer from depression and for some reason it just came back today.
Any tips if you've dealt with depression?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Get through it. Same with everything in life. How do you get through it? You're the only one who can answer that.
  • Coby Vibes
    Coby Vibes Members Posts: 2,892
    edited April 2011
    Options

do you go to counseling?
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Coby Vibes wrote: »
    do you go to counseling?

never went
    got on meds last year but tried suicide so i stopped taking them
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    never went
    got on meds last year but tried suicide so i stopped taking them

I would recommend trying to get to the root of this problem. I'm sure some people can get depressed for no reason, but it's very rare. Most people who are depressed have a reason behind that. Get to the root of the problem, talk to people about it (those you feel comfortable talking about it with), and let it work from that point on.

Suicide attempts are very serious, talking it out with someone you trust can be very helpful. Otherwise, it's going to be hard for you.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2011
    Options
    you have any kids?

or any family members, who depend on your love/talking to you/visit you to see how you are doing?

if so.....remember them!!

They may not tell you, specifically, but they obviously have a very very deep love for you...you might not see why, but they obviously need your love, for their survival.

Your attempting Suicide, only hurts them. Your attempting suicide...will be viewed as selfish, to them, because it will mean that you took your love away from them it will mean that you didn't care to make sure that they had you in their lives, for their survival that they depended upon.

My chick came and kept me company and told me i was being selfish
    thats kinda wat happened last nite
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I would recommend trying to get to the root of this problem. I'm sure some people can get depressed for no reason, but it's very rare. Most people who are depressed have a reason behind that. Get to the root of the problem, talk to people about it (those you feel comfortable talking about it with), and let it work from that point on.

Suicide attempts are very serious, talking it out with someone you trust can be very helpful. Otherwise, it's going to be hard for you.

easier said than done tho
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

I'm sorry you feel depressed. From what I've read, doing the following might help :

1) Eat healthy (whole grains, fruits/vegetables, nuts and seeds, no refined sugar, refined carbohydrates, transfat etc.)

2) Exercise regularly

3) Get as much fresh air as possible

4) Meditate (focus on nothing but the sound of your own breathing or focus on nothing except feeling love and compassion)

5) Maintain a positive attitude

6) Get 7-9 hours of sleep, go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday

7) Laugh for no reason

8) Take cold showers every morning

Spend time with friends, have a hobby, keep a diary or talk to someone about your problems etc. Classical music raises serotonin levels, apparently, and I'd be willing to bet that jazz, new age and some other kinds of music do the same (probably not heavy metal, gangster rap etc.)
  • meekins
    meekins Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    yea. its terrible.. its inevitable. even tho im on meds, i still go through it. its no way you can fix it. just gotta pray and ask the Lord for his blessings.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I suffer from depression

and confusion about your sexuality, i reckon.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm trying to overcome petty emotions like depression, not that I suffer from any serious depression or anything, but as I see it becoming more detached is necessary to maximize success
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    And real talk, even tho I feel bad for people who are depressed, a lot of the time it's just a cry for attention and people need to get over it because no one cares if ur depressed, just sayin. When I get depressed I always think to myself "no one cares, no one is going to feel bad for you, they'll just think you're acting like a wuss", and that always makes me buck up
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2011
    Options
    meekins wrote: »
    yea. its terrible.. its inevitable. even tho im on meds, i still go through it. its no way you can fix it. just gotta pray and ask the Lord for his blessings.

I'm its depression not possession
  • Daniel Plainview
    Daniel Plainview Members Posts: 895
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sometimes but i refuse to take drugs that are legal
  • think
    think Members Posts: 687
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's just a state of mind. Get over it.

And the talk about suicide being selfish, I don't agree with it whatsoever. What obligation do you have to anyone? At the end of the day, you die alone and have to live for yourself. You have to take care of yourself in order to take care of other people. Not condoning suicide, just saying.
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    think wrote: »
    It's just a state of mind. Get over it.

And the talk about suicide being selfish, I don't agree with it whatsoever. What obligation do you have to anyone? At the end of the day, you die alone and have to live for yourself. You have to take care of yourself in order to take care of other people. Not condoning suicide, just saying.

c/s.....depression is a state of mind...preach i agree with that post 500%
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It is serious. But you need to try coax yourself into being positive about what good is in your life more and appreciate that no matter how few the things may be.
    I get down, but I try to think of those that have it far worse than I do. I know depression isn't all about that, but I think it does help to an extent.

Suicide is no joke, obviously. but suicide is easy.. any one can jump from a bridge etc but the reward is in conquering what issues are there, and being in control of your life. Not allowing anything or anyone to change that view, so you continue going ahead all the time even when the low points/feelings kick in.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The thing is many people who claim to be depressed arent really depressed. Many just need a kick in the ass, a change of diet or environment.
    I seen this white dude in the counselors office saying he was depressed because his girlfriend broke up with him. And he said life wasnt even worth living anymore.

The problem is people who are truly depressed and going through some serious mental battles are the ones who never get help. Usually its pride, shame, or just plain ignorance of not knowing what to do. So since many people claim to be depressed, its become like crying wolf. Or a car alarm. Whenever you hear a car alarm in the parking lot, you dont really think somebody is gettin their car broken into. You just think "I wish that car alarm would shut up, its gettin annoying."

Same with depression. You go on facebook and some 19 year old says, "Burger king is crowded, FML." So everybody in America is whining or having their own pity party because things dont go their way. But, If you are struggling with some mental demons, you need to get some help. Not even like a shrink or some old white lady asking you basic questions behind a couch. But there are different internet forums, there are clinics, you'd be amazed the things you think that you are alone with, many people are going through.

The problem is you cant just will your way out of depression if youve been depressed for years. Just like it took time to build up the depression you got, it will take time to undo all the negative things going on in your head.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    The thing is many people who claim to be depressed arent really depressed. Many just need a kick in the ass, a change of diet or environment.
    I seen this white dude in the counselors office saying he was depressed because his girlfriend broke up with him. And he said life wasnt even worth living anymore.

The problem is people who are truly depressed and going through some serious mental battles are the ones who never get help. Usually its pride, shame, or just plain ignorance of not knowing what to do. So since many people claim to be depressed, its become like crying wolf. Or a car alarm. Whenever you hear a car alarm in the parking lot, you dont really think somebody is gettin their car broken into. You just think "I wish that car alarm would shut up, its gettin annoying."

Same with depression. You go on facebook and some 19 year old says, "Burger king is crowded, FML." So everybody in America is whining or having their own pity party because things dont go their way. But, If you are struggling with some mental demons, you need to get some help. Not even like a shrink or some old white lady asking you basic questions behind a couch. But there are different internet forums, there are clinics, you'd be amazed the things you think that you are alone with, many people are going through.

The problem is you cant just will your way out of depression if youve been depressed for years. Just like it took time to build up the depression you got, it will take time to undo all the negative things going on in your head.

Interesting analysis brother. The facebook epidemic baffles me.. liek you mentioned, when people feel the need to tell the 'net world' every little detail of their 'depressing' lives.. I've seen people complain about so much, what they ate, the weather etc and update it almost by the minute over and over with something new to whinge about to get the attention.. these sort of people need help of a different kind.. ans that kick in the ass is probably best suited for that type of person
  • ItzGravitation
    edited May 2011
    Options
    my depression isnt for attention tho.
    ive been feeling better since my girl came to cheer me up but uve been fighting depressing over 9 years
  • ItzGravitation
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thats a good idea tho
    maybe i will work in a soup kitchen
  • miss_stressed_
    miss_stressed_ Members Posts: 1
    Options
    @ItzGravitation, I suffer from depression, constantly.
  • Bong Water
    Bong Water Members Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    NB4 ? Water says smoke more weed.
  • Bong Water
    Bong Water Members Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    Options
    But seriously, it can help for normal depression however if you are clinically depressed take your meds and talk to your doc or a crisis intervention team if you are at the end your coping skills.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Study this pic for a while then drink a half bottle of Scotch, should make you feel better.

[img]http://www.costumeshop.us.com/images_products/? -razor-blade-2377lar.jpg[/img]

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depression is crazy, it makes people do and say weird stuff and it also makes their behavior strange as well.

Topics like this though I usually avoid, mainly because there's always ignorant muhfuckas that make light of it or don't take it as seriously as they should.

Is the same with alot of mental health issues and thats also why black folks are the most succeptible to these disorders, nobody takes the ? seriously.

I have a friend whose brother ate his pistol over depression. The only thing traumatic that happened to him was the his father left his mom and the divorce brought out all kinds of ugly family secrets, dude lived with that ? for years and never got checked out, eventually he said "? it" and blew his own brains out.

Unless you've really experienced it you can't tell people how to deal with it, there's no telling how folks react to adversity or traumatic situations.