4 simple tips to lose weight! CNN story

Options
caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Weight Room
Mills has been overweight for as long as she can remember. She recalls "plumping up" at 5 years old and weighing 200 pounds in junior high.
"My family doctor said I needed to get the weight off and if I didn't, I was going to shorten my life," says Mills. "He gave me a piece of paper with four tips to lose weight."
Before the epiphany, she kept that piece of paper in her purse for months, even when she would change purses. And every time, she would look at it and think, "I'll start tomorrow."
Tomorrow finally came on August 17, 2009. After snapping that photo, Mills went into her purse and pulled out the tips the doctor had given her:
1. Eat 8 ounces of food every 3 hours
2. No sugary drinks
3. Do not skip meals
4. Do not tell anyone what you're doing
So that's what she did -- or didn't do, really. Almost two years later, Mills has dropped 232 pounds from her body and has trimmed her waist down to 26 inches (a size 6).
And she did it all without a trainer.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/22/weight.loss.anita.mills/index.html?iref=allsearch

Comments

• Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    1)Eat at 500 caloric deficit
    2)Eat at 500 caloric deficit
    3)Eat at 500 caloric deficit
    4) Guess
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates (or anything that can be white).
    Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again.
    Rule #3: Don’t drink calories.
    Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit.
    Rule #5: Take one day off per week and go nuts.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates (or anything that can be white).

number 4... Why not?
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    number 4... Why not?

Fruit is high in naturally occurring sugar. Don't eat fruit. Stay away from juice. It is not beneficial for fat loss, no matter what the commercials say. Eat an orange or an apple if you really want the fruit because fruit juice is much worse.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This right here ^^^^^^^^^^
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

#1 and replace with carbs in the form of whole grains.

#4 I can't agree with. Fruit Juices yes because there's often added sugar, most the time ? ain't even really juice says something like 15% juice lol. There is way more benefits to fruit then detriment. Fiber, Antioxidants, Vitamins. It's pretty damn hard to cut sugar out the American diet. Fresh fruit should be the least of ones worries tho the consumption should be regulated like most other foods.
  • caddo man
    edited May 2011
    Options

This is too complicated! I will stick with the doctor!

No fruit! bruh please! I would die eating the same things all the time. for people with no will power they would be off the saddle in a week. The rules that the doctor gave the women was simple and easy to do after you figured out what 8 ounces of food really is! Plan out your meals and keep some water. Dont tell people what you are doing and keep a healthy snack. You are good!
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    edited May 2011
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    This is too complicated! I will stick with the doctor!

No fruit! bruh please! I would die eating the same things all the time. for people with no will power they would be off the saddle in a week. The rules that the doctor gave the women was simple and easy to do after you figured out what 8 ounces of food really is! Plan out your meals and keep some water. Dont tell people what you are doing and keep a healthy snack. You are good!

It's not that hard bruh. Becoming fit requires some lifestyle choices. A lil exercise and u good.

Don't listen to the fruit part just dont drink ur calories by chuggin some fruit juice thinking its all gravy.

And as for the same meal all the time, put it like this. U need to come up with a delicious meal u like to eat that combines everything u need for a healthy fit body ur whole grain carbs(think brown rice,whole wheat pasta,etv)Protein(poultry,lean cuts of meat preferrably small portions, can't forget legumes(beans!), some veggies, maybe a slice of whole wheat bread with some hummus and dessert can be a low sugar yogurt with fresh fruit and some granola or peanuts. Thats guilt free eating and theres plenty of other meals u can find out how to make that will satisfy ur cravings.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    here's what works for me when I'm cutting.......

#1 - Create a calorie budget -find out your RMR (resting metabolic rate) and adjust your calorie budget around it. For me I can eat ~2200 cals a day and still lose 1-1.5lbs a week. I use this one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

#2 - Make the most of your calorie budget -I eat good high protein low fat foods: crab, shrimp, lobster, seabass, chicken breast, steak (london broil, top round, sorlion), and 96/4 beef those are the main meats I eat. I don't eat dark meat chicken. I am full after I eat.

#3 Cook food ONLY in olive oil (alot of what makes you fat comes from HOW you prepare the food)

#4 You can go over your calorie budget and supplement the difference in LISS cardio. I do this pretty regular and haven't had issues with fat loss stalling. I'll eat ~2700 cals and do an hour on the elliptical and bike. This is actually good when you lift weights because if you structure the bulk of your cals around your lifting, you can take advantage of getting the carbs in pre and post workout.

#5 Don't play yourself with garbage calories. Fruit, fruit juices, etc to me are bs calories: I RARELY eat fruit (I agree with this statement). To me fruit and fruit juices are bs calories. Whenever I eat fruit, I'm still hungry less than an hour later and it messes off. You CAN eat all the fruit you want but if these cals make you go over your cal budget, you just played yourself. For me, I'd rather eat a meal with meat.

bonus tips.

#6 make sure you GET ENOUGH cals in, in order to prime your body for fat loss. -if you eat too few cals a day, you'll lose weight, but I'd bet money that you'd be skinnier but fatter at the same time (less muscle). Again see #1. If you can't get the cals in then eat MRPs to make up the difference (meal replacements). I usually eat 3 meals a day and 2-3 MRPs a day. Just make sure that the MRPs are not loaded with fat. I do these alot: http://www.amazon.com/100-Whey-Crisp-Marshmallow-Treat/dp/B003P90YK4/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1 Taste like Rice Crispy Treats. I don't even mess with shakes anymore -These are 26g Protein, 34g Carbs, 2.5g Fat. Damn good profile too me.

#7 don't worry about eating carbs at night. I do it all the time. I'll eat oatmeal mixed with casein protein before bed almost every night.

#8 If you lift, don't make your cardio sessions so long and intense that it affects your recover-ability for weight lifting. I do 2 15-18 minute HIIT sessions a week and 1-2 LISS sessions. Anything over 20 minutes for Med-High Intensity WILL likely affect your lifting and make you hungry enough to binge.

EAT BREAKFAST -If you don't eat early, you will likely binge eat later in the day.
  • DRO
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ok, So besides water, what should a brother drink?... U know people aint gone drink water alll day long
  • DRO
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And what do you mean dont tell anyone what ur doing?
  • caddo man
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And what do you mean dont tell anyone what ur doing?

Because ? be hating and they dont understand that if you eat 8 ounces of almost anything of substances (food groups) 5 times a day you will lose weight. It takes discipline. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is back away from that plate. If you read the article you will see that this chick still eat fried chicken tenders with potato chips. But she eat 8 oz of it! Think about how much 8 oz is of that.

You dont tell anyone because it is hard to explain your diet when it is so simple.
  • caddo man
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's not that hard bruh. Becoming fit requires some lifestyle choices. A lil exercise and u good.

Don't listen to the fruit part just dont drink ur calories by chuggin some fruit juice thinking its all gravy.

And as for the same meal all the time, put it like this. U need to come up with a delicious meal u like to eat that combines everything u need for a healthy fit body ur whole grain carbs(think brown rice,whole wheat pasta,etv)Protein(poultry,lean cuts of meat preferrably small portions, can't forget legumes(beans!), some veggies, maybe a slice of whole wheat bread with some hummus and dessert can be a low sugar yogurt with fresh fruit and some granola or peanuts. Thats guilt free eating and theres plenty of other meals u can find out how to make that will satisfy ur cravings.

Bruh when you have hardly any self control. Eating the same damn thing all time is crazy. I can cook. I am a great cook. I experiment with lots of things. Tell me that all I need to do is have self control with my portion and eat a vegetable with every meal and dont drink sugary drinks. That is easier than eating the same thing all the time. I loss 25lbs with portion control and exercising. All that difficult eat this and that on sundays while standing on your head is too much.
    Miltown actually said it simplier!
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Smh @ no self control.
    The leftcoast kev drop is good but too damn much info.
    I don't follow any particular rules or count calories, I mainly read the ingredients I put into my body try n get some good stuff balanced in me and eat any type of fat greasy ? i want but not with intense regularity.
    Cardio, weight training, and YOGA FTW!
    ? a portion control for me tho thats wack.

*160lb Post*
  • caddo man
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Smh @ no self control.
    The leftcoast kev drop is good but too damn much info.
    I don't follow any particular rules or count calories, I mainly read the ingredients I put into my body try n get some good stuff balanced in me and eat any type of fat greasy ? i want but not with intense regularity.
    Cardio, weight training, and YOGA FTW!
    ? a portion control for me tho thats wack.

*160lb Post*

That is all you had to say! LOL!!!!!!
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    here's what works for me when I'm cutting.......

#3 Cook food ONLY in olive oil (alot of what makes you fat comes from HOW you prepare the food)

Canola Oil > Olive. And use the spray.

#5 Don't play yourself with garbage calories. Fruit, fruit juices, etc to me are bs calories: I RARELY eat fruit (I agree with this statement). To me fruit and fruit juices are bs calories. Whenever I eat fruit, I'm still hungry less than an hour later and it messes off. You CAN eat all the fruit you want but if these cals make you go over your cal budget, you just played yourself. For me, I'd rather eat a meal with meat.

Fruit is good for you in moderation. Especially if your carb and sugar levels are in check.

good ? though
  • leftcoastkev
    edited May 2011
    Options
    good ? though

Thanks......

Fruit is cool. I've never been a fruit person, so I'm a little biased on that one. As long as you can fit it into your daily cal intake, you're all good.

Canola Oil is cool and inexpensive and has less Saturated Fat than Olive Oil, I used to cook with it exclusively until I did some research on it. From what I've read the processes in which Canola Oil is made can produce (increase) Trans Fats. I believe it has something to do with the process of preserving the Omega-3's in Canola and making it tasteless.

On a related note this is the same reason I mainly use Butter over Margarine. Butter is worst for LDL (bad cholesterol) but there are so many other trade offs (trans fats for one) that I only use butter spreads (and not sticks). Alot of butters are blended with Canola Oil to increase shelf life, some with Olive Oil also.

Bottom line is............pick your poison but try to limit the impact......Trans Fats make gaining body fat easier....
  • DRO
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hold up mayne.. Where yall gettin this info from? I aint neva heard no canola oil being better than olive...

And

since u cant drink juice, what r u pose 2 drink besides water?
  • Mastery
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hold up mayne.. Where yall gettin this info from? I aint neva heard no canola oil being better than olive...

And

since u cant drink juice, what r u pose 2 drink besides water?
    Tea, diet soda or coffee (for those who need caffeine). Drinking water isnt as bad as you make it seem though lol Instead of drinking for taste, try to change your mindset to drinking and eating for fuel to keep yourself going :tu
  • DRO
    edited May 2011
    Options
    wallh wrote: »
    tea, diet soda or coffee (for those who need caffeine). Drinking water isnt as bad as you make it seem lol

no, i love water but i aint drinkin it alll day.... Tea is good for you, specially hot tea... But i gotta have sweat tea.. And diet sodas are not good for you at all....

Before a pilot flys a plane, its illegal for him to drink a diet soda... True story
  • Mastery
    edited May 2011
    Options
    no, i love water but i aint drinkin it alll day.... Tea is good for you, specially hot tea... But i gotta have sweat tea.. And diet sodas are not good for you at all....

Before a pilot flys a plane, its illegal for him to drink a diet soda... True story
    I agree diet soda is bad for you :td I was just trying to give you some calorie-less options lol

I drink water (throughout the week days), tea, and on the weekends I will have a couple glasses of cranberry juice (the real ? ), not that ? -tail blended ? ? be drinking :td
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A doctor/nutritionist was saying that you should avoid eating fruit after 2pm.
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2011
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    I agree diet soda is bad for you :td I was just trying to give you some calorie-less options lol

I drink water (throughout the week days), tea, and on the weekends I will have a couple glasses of cranberry juice (the real ? ), not that ? -tail blended ? ? be drinking :td

Yes! The real natural cranberry juice tastes better anyway.
  • opiie562
    opiie562 Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    IS IT POSSIBLE to smoke weed/cigarrettes and lose weight and or build muscle??
  • leftcoastkev
    edited May 2011
    Options
    opiie562 wrote: »
    IS IT POSSIBLE to smoke weed/cigarrettes and lose weight and or build muscle??

Both are possible but a lot harder to do and harder on your heart. Cardio will be very hard because you won't be able to breathe as good as you would if you didn't smoke. Arnold Schwarzenegger used to get blazed (but he juiced up as well).

I used to smoke, but stopped a few years back.