Rakim vs. Biggie - Who has a better case for G.O.A.T.?

Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Face Off Forum
The title is pretty self-explanatory.

Discuss.

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2010
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Rakim
    althought, like it or not, Biggie is a legend
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    Rakim. Wouldnt be a Biggie without him.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Both did things to change the game this is a tough one, but Big wins it for me.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    This is kind of difficult. I think both are top 5, have two classics, and had a large impact and influence on Hip Hop. I do think that Biggie is the overall better rapper. Rakim may have been a blueprint for Big, but Big took it and expanded upon it w/ elements of Kane and Cube (delivery). Even still, this could go either way.
  • longbeach_turnt_up
    longbeach_turnt_up Members Posts: 101
    edited February 2010
    what the ? kinda question is this????? like ? is u serious????
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Biggie all the way...

Rakim is a lyrically dope but at the same time boring like a ?
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Rakim. He actually changed the game, had better subject matter, more classics, a longer run on top, and is respected by every lyricist from every era. Rakim is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    hlf wrote: »
    Rakim

/thread

true ? not a contest...

Pun your Slipping man Polls are back use a poll next versus
  • georgia boi
    edited February 2010
    gman82 wrote: »
    Rakim. He actually changed the game, had better subject matter, more classics, a longer run on top, and is respected by every lyricist from every era. Rakim is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.

Biggie changed the game as well. There's no such thing as better subject matter. Both had two classic albums that are widely considered classics. As far as longer run at the top, Rakim's reign was like '87/'88 until maybe '91, by '92, Snoop & Dre were running the game. Biggie's reign was from '94-'97 consistently w/ classic albums, songs and guest spots not to mention chart hits.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    the second verse of follow the leader ? on anything biggie or bad boy ever created in their pathetic existance.
  • supertitan
    supertitan Members Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Rakim changed the way MCs flow, period. Big helped bring Hip-Hop to the mainstream...and could also flow his ass off. It's a tough call but Big only had 2 albums before his death, I honestly don't think they're comparable. Rakim takes this IMO.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    I don't know who you YoSon ? amp more Rakim or Big L either way Big over both them ?
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    the second verse of follow the leader ? on anything biggie or bad boy ever created in their pathetic existance.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppp
  • gman82
    edited February 2010
    Biggie changed the game as well. There's no such thing as better subject matter. Both had two classic albums that are widely considered classics. As far as longer run at the top, Rakim's reign was like '87/'88 until maybe '91, by '92, Snoop & Dre were running the game. Biggie's reign was from '94-'97 consistently w/ classic albums, songs and guest spots not to mention chart hits.

How was biggies reign from 94 - 97 when 2pac clearly had the game on lock in '96? Bone arguably had the game on lock in '95 if you wanna be real about it. Biggie was dead in '97 before his album even dropped. Technically Puffy had the game on lock in 97. That give biggie one year (94) on top and he shared that year with Snoop and Nas.
  • youngnick
    youngnick Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    This is a dumb argument. It's not even a close debate.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    biggie didnt even have 94 on lock. I would give 94 to warren g. regulator came out around january 94, atr soundtrack blew the track up. and i think his album came out late spring 94. he had hit after hit on radio. warren g was the 94 version of kanye. biggie ? didnt pick up steam until winter 94/spring 95 with that one more chance remix. matter of fact craig mack was getting more shine than big in the time their albums were released cause mack had flava in ya ear buzzin in the fall 94. get down was on some early 95 ? . if anything biggie was the man in 95. thats it. 96 belonged to bone and 2pac and you a ? fool if you dont believe that. 97 wasnt big year either. 97 was puffy year. he took all of big shine after his death. big had 1 year out of 3 he was active. not goat worthy.
  • gman82
    edited February 2010
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    biggie didnt even have 94 on lock. I would give 94 to warren g. regulator came out around january 94, atr soundtrack blew the track up. and i think his album came out late spring 94. he had hit after hit on radio. warren g was the 94 version of kanye. biggie ? didnt pick up steam until winter 94/spring 95 with that one more chance remix. matter of fact craig mack was getting more shine than big in the time their albums were released cause mack had flava in ya ear buzzin in the fall 94. get down was on some early 95 ? . if anything biggie was the man in 95. thats it. 96 belonged to bone and 2pac and you a ? fool if you dont believe that. 97 wasnt big year either. 97 was puffy year. he took all of big shine after his death. big had 1 year out of 3 he was active. not goat worthy.

Exactly. I think 95 has to go to Bone because they Creepin on ah Come up in late 94 and E 1999 in 95 and at the time they were bigger than biggie and had sold more reocrds.
  • georgia boi
    edited February 2010
    gman82 wrote: »
    How was biggies reign from 94 - 97 when 2pac clearly had the game on lock in '96? Bone arguably had the game on lock in '95 if you wanna be real about it. Biggie was dead in '97 before his album even dropped. Technically Puffy had the game on lock in 97. That give biggie one year (94) on top and he shared that year with Snoop and Nas.

To say Biggie didn't reign from '94-'97, but say Rakim reigned longer than Big is contradictory. It's also just as contradictory to say that Pac reigned in '96 when The Fugees had a bigger album that year. Bone didn't run '95 b/c "1st of the Month" was their only hit that year. "Crossroads" didn't really pop off until they dropped the remix back in '96.

From '94-'97, Biggie had "Juicy" (I don't even have to explain how big this song was and what it means to Hip Hop), "Big Poppa" (which was accompanied by a remix), "One More Chance (remix), "Who Shot Ya", "Player's Anthem", "Get Money", "Get Money" remix, an album w/ Junior Mafia that went gold, Kim's now double platinum debut album, cameos on singles from 112, Total, Craig Mack, Jay Z, Shaq, R. Kelly, soundtracks etc.

LOL, the fact that you mention Puffy in '97 further proves my point as Biggie was on two of the biggest singles from that album. The biggest single from the album was a song that was dedicated to Big. LOL @ '94 belonging to Nas when Illmatic wasn't even on the radar in comparison to Ready To Die. Ready To Die overshadowed Illmatic being that Ready To Die is usually the album that is credited w/ shifting focus back to the East. There wasn't a bigger album from the East than Ready To Die during that era.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    BIG doesn't have a case....he only has two albums and the second disc of Life After Death was lacking,....I have nothing against BIG.....he was GREAT...but material is just as important as skills to me......and BIG didn't have enough material
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    only reason Rakim aint get shot is nobody gave a ? about him

BIG is certainly the GOAT
  • georgia boi
    edited February 2010
    BIG doesn't have a case....he only has two albums and the second disc of Life After Death was lacking,....I have nothing against BIG.....he was GREAT...but material is just as important as skills to me......and BIG didn't have enough material

The amount of material is irrelevant. The fact that Ready To Die and Life After Death were just as important to '90's Hip Hop as Paid In Full and Follow The Leader to late '80's/early '90's Hip Hop is enough for him to be considered. Jay Z, Nas, Fabolous, Jadakiss and an array of other East coast rappers used Life After Death and/or Ready To Die as a blueprint. Not to mention how many of Biggie's lines have been used. He's neck and neck w/ Rakim in that respect. A good argument could be made for disc 2 being better than much of Ra's catalog outside of Paid In Full and Follow The Leader. It's impossible to make a flawless single disc album let alone a double. In total Life After Death has about 2 wack tracks ("Playa Hater", "Another"), a weak song ("Nasty Boy") and a few songs that are just average ("The World Is Filled", "Miss U"). Then there's classics like "Notorious Thugs", "10 ? Commandments", "Going Back To Cali" and songs that are just great like "My Downfall", "You're Nobody", "Long Kiss Goodnight", and "Sky's The Limit."
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Yamoley wrote: »
    Biggie all the way...

exactamundo...
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Yamoley wrote: »
    Biggie all the way...

He can be boring but to say Biggie is GOAT with 2 albums compared to Rakim's catalogue is just absurd.