Rakim vs. Biggie - Who has a better case for G.O.A.T.?

Options

Comments

• Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Big is one of the greats, but Rakim's - My Melody - is one of the greatest lyrical displays in hip hop. That puts Rakim over the top
  • jonoaries
    jonoaries Members Posts: 183
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Rakim can be boring because his voice is monotone hes legendary and I wont be mad if ? disagree but I think B.I.G changed the game in a way that his style still being used today. B.I.G was arguably "the blueprint" for the biggest artist after he died (Jay-Z, no pun intended) B.I.G isnt the greatest lyricist ever there was a few better but he had all around game. He had lyrics, flow, entertainment, he was pop, street, and emo all in one. And thats just with 2 albums. Rakim is the man, but B.I.G is just a better choice to me.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The amount of material is irrelevant. The fact that Ready To Die and Life After Death were just as important to '90's Hip Hop as Paid In Full and Follow The Leader to late '80's/early '90's Hip Hop is enough for him to be considered. Jay Z, Nas, Fabolous, Jadakiss and an array of other East coast rappers used Life After Death and/or Ready To Die as a blueprint. Not to mention how many of Biggie's lines have been used. He's neck and neck w/ Rakim in that respect. A good argument could be made for disc 2 being better than much of Ra's catalog outside of Paid In Full and Follow The Leader. It's impossible to make a flawless single disc album let alone a double. In total Life After Death has about 2 wack tracks ("Playa Hater", "Another"), a weak song ("Nasty Boy") and a few songs that are just average ("The World Is Filled", "Miss U"). Then there's classics like "Notorious Thugs", "10 ? Commandments", "Going Back To Cali" and songs that are just great like "My Downfall", "You're Nobody", "Long Kiss Goodnight", and "Sky's The Limit."

Great comments. This is a tough debate for me cause I feel Rakim is the only rapper from the 80's/Golden Era that can be considered Top 5 GOAT STATUS. LL, KRS One are in the bottom half of the Top 10 to me. I think Rakim 2 Classics and Biggie's 2 Classics can cancel each other out. Both had massive Impact and influence in their respective Era's. I think Rakim was very influential in lyricism. Biggie was very influencial in Flow and wordplay. I wouldn't really be mad at a fan saying Rakim is the GOAT just as I wouldn't be mad at anyone saying Biggie was. They are both Top 3 sampled lyricist in Hip Hop History. This one could be a draw but the only reason I think I would give Biggie the slight edge is during the early 90's when the West Took the hell over. Rakim went M.I.A. and completely disappeared. NYC needed one of it's Lyrical Gods/Giants to bring NY back and again he went M.I.A.. Rakim Disappearing created the void for NaS to drop "ILLmatic" and take Rakim's lyrical crown. Biggie then came out after that and changed rap forever. Since Rakim bailed out in the 90's, Biggie gets the nod for me. LOL @ Rakim dropping an album AFTER Biggie and Pac died. SMH. Rakim 92-97 = M.I.A. and let NY Fall off.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    A lot of blasphemous statements posted in here.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • DB Cooper
    DB Cooper Members Posts: 746
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • onepunch
    onepunch Banned Users Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2010
    Options
    boss ktulu wrote: »
    only reason rakim aint get shot is nobody gave a ? about him

big is certainly the goat

real ? don't die...
  • Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Some people are confused, you're not choosing your favourite of the two, you're choosing who has a better case for GOAT. Biggie brought a little something, a little Chubb Rock pop, but Rakim was a revolutionary, the ? on the mic.

Anyone saying Biggie has not listened to Rakim's catalogue. Rakim wins this without breaking a sweat or even thumbing through his crate.
  • contemplate
    contemplate Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    rakim

biggie is only popular because of tupac
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    rakim

Um...what? If anything, you have it backwards.

You do know Biggie reached the top 40 before Pac did, right?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim, he's better.
  • contemplate
    contemplate Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Um...what? If anything, you have it backwards.

You do know Biggie reached the top 40 before Pac did, right?

i'm sure others got there before tupac too, but it's not where you start it's where you end and in the end tupac is more popular and biggie is known to some people only because of his beef with him.
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The amount of material is irrelevant. The fact that Ready To Die and Life After Death were just as important to '90's Hip Hop as Paid In Full and Follow The Leader to late '80's/early '90's Hip Hop is enough for him to be considered. Jay Z, Nas, Fabolous, Jadakiss and an array of other East coast rappers used Life After Death and/or Ready To Die as a blueprint. Not to mention how many of Biggie's lines have been used. He's neck and neck w/ Rakim in that respect. A good argument could be made for disc 2 being better than much of Ra's catalog outside of Paid In Full and Follow The Leader. It's impossible to make a flawless single disc album let alone a double. In total Life After Death has about 2 wack tracks ("Playa Hater", "Another"), a weak song ("Nasty Boy") and a few songs that are just average ("The World Is Filled", "Miss U"). Then there's classics like "Notorious Thugs", "10 ? Commandments", "Going Back To Cali" and songs that are just great like "My Downfall", "You're Nobody", "Long Kiss Goodnight", and "Sky's The Limit."

How Exactly did Nas use Ready 2 Die & LAD as his BluePrint? I thinks its the other way round. B.I.G is the one who used Illmatic & IWW as his Blueprint
  • Mumo X
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Smh @ Georgia Boi saying Subject matter dont matter...I dont care how lyrical an Emcee is, if he aint droppin Knowledge then i dont ? wit son. Rakim is the ? of this rap ? .Only Pac,Nas,Krs One,Cube threaten Ra's status as GOAT...
  • Mumo X
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ya'll talkin bout Big,Nas,Bone,Pac havin the game on lock in the 90s...IMO Wu-Tang had the game on Lock from '93-'00...Nobody had a better run than these ? . 36 Chambers, Wu-Tang Forever,Tical ,OB4CL,Liquid Swords,Iron Man...all these are CLASSICS
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    How Exactly did Nas use Ready 2 Die & LAD as his BluePrint? I thinks its the other way round. B.I.G is the one who used Illmatic & IWW as his Blueprint

Mumo, stop making sense. People are gonna start hating on you if you start making sense on em.
  • dookeyface
    dookeyface Members Posts: 44
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    Biggie all the way...

Rakim is a lyrically dope but at the same time boring like a ?

^^ This sounds like something Marley Marl & MC Shan would say in '86
    gman82 wrote: »
    Rakim. He actually changed the game, had better subject matter, more classics, a longer run on top, and is respected by every lyricist from every era. Rakim is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.
    Rakim. Wouldnt be a Biggie without him.
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    the second verse of follow the leader ? on anything biggie or bad boy ever created in their pathetic existance.
    How was biggies reign from 94 - 97 when 2pac clearly had the game on lock in '96?....That give biggie one year (94) on top and he shared that year with Snoop and Nas.
    BIG doesn't have a case....he only has two albums and the second disc of Life After Death was lacking,....I have nothing against BIG.....he was GREAT...but material is just as important as skills to me......and BIG didn't have enough material
    hlf wrote: »
    ......but to say Biggie is GOAT with 2 albums compared to Rakim's catalogue is just absurd.

^^ ALL QFT
  • thedarkprince
    thedarkprince Members Posts: 429
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim may have started this lyrical ? but Biggie took it to new hieghts. Sorry but rakim cant ? with BIG.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim = Einstein, Biggie = Oppenheimer....so Rakim
  • Mumo X
    edited June 2010
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Mumo, stop making sense. People are gonna start hating on you if you start making sense on em.

It is what it is Jokerzwyld
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Rakim

/thread
    Rakim. Wouldnt be a Biggie without him.
    This might sway some opinions.
    Rakim. He actually changed the game, had better subject matter, more classics, a longer run on top, and is respected by every lyricist from every era. Rakim is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.
    supertitan wrote: »
    Rakim changed the way MCs flow, period. Big helped bring Hip-Hop to the mainstream...and could also flow his ass off. It's a tough call but Big only had 2 albums before his death, I honestly don't think they're comparable. Rakim takes this IMO.
    How was biggies reign from 94 - 97 when 2pac clearly had the game on lock in '96? Bone arguably had the game on lock in '95 if you wanna be real about it. Biggie was dead in '97 before his album even dropped. Technically Puffy had the game on lock in 97. That give biggie one year (94) on top and he shared that year with Snoop and Nas.
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    biggie didnt even have 94 on lock. I would give 94 to warren g. regulator came out around january 94, atr soundtrack blew the track up. and i think his album came out late spring 94. he had hit after hit on radio. warren g was the 94 version of kanye. biggie ? didnt pick up steam until winter 94/spring 95 with that one more chance remix. matter of fact craig mack was getting more shine than big in the time their albums were released cause mack had flava in ya ear buzzin in the fall 94. get down was on some early 95 ? . if anything biggie was the man in 95. thats it. 96 belonged to bone and 2pac and you a ? fool if you dont believe that. 97 wasnt big year either. 97 was puffy year. he took all of big shine after his death. big had 1 year out of 3 he was active. not goat worthy.
    Exactly. I think 95 has to go to Bone because they Creepin on ah Come up in late 94 and E 1999 in 95 and at the time they were bigger than biggie and had sold more reocrds.
    Still Rakim
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    A lot of blasphemous statements posted in here.
    c1up wrote: »
    DB Cooper wrote: »
    rakim easy
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Some people are confused, you're not choosing your favourite of the two, you're choosing who has a better case for GOAT. Biggie brought a little something, a little Chubb Rock pop, but Rakim was a revolutionary, the ? on the mic.

Anyone saying Biggie has not listened to Rakim's catalogue. Rakim wins this without breaking a sweat or even thumbing through his crate.
    rakim

Rakim, he's better.
    Smh @ Georgia Boi saying Subject matter dont matter...I dont care how lyrical an Emcee is, if he aint droppin Knowledge then i dont ? wit son. Rakim is the ? of this rap ? .Only Pac,Nas,Krs One,Cube threaten Ra's status as GOAT...
    Ya'll talkin bout Big,Nas,Bone,Pac havin the game on lock in the 90s...IMO Wu-Tang had the game on Lock from '93-'00...Nobody had a better run than these ? . 36 Chambers, Wu-Tang Forever,Tical ,OB4CL,Liquid Swords,Iron Man...all these are CLASSICS
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Rakim = Einstein, Biggie = Oppenheimer....so Rakim

All this and then some...
  • pop
    pop Members Posts: 191
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? is a hell of a drug.....
  • il nonno
    il nonno Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ra takes this...... Biggie is overrated.
  • great l
    great l Members Posts: 393
    edited June 2010
    Options