Natural hair movement....A fad or black women really starting to love their hair

Lottafolocsgirl
Lottafolocsgirl Members Posts: 51
edited June 2011 in The Powder Room
I saw this lady's hair recently http://tinyurl.com/6y3vym6 and it made me wonder about this whole natural hair thing. Even more so the epidemic of men and locs circa all the Waka Flocka fame and lil wayne fame. Is this just another fad you think?

@kylesnatural

Comments

• Yummy.Lix
    Yummy.Lix Members Posts: 1,398
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it's fad...to me,going natural is a really big step.There is a lot of
    work (mentally & physically) put in to it.I think most women do it because number
    one they want healthy hair.& Number 2, it could be like a new start for them.I
    watch MissCinnamonCake on youtube(She's a real sweetie :)).And she said she
    went natural because she wanted healthy hair & she just wanted a new start in
    life.& I think a lot of women want new starts in life sometimes.So when they do
    the "big chop," they're not just cutting their hair,their cutting the negativity out
    of their lives as well.
  • Lottafolocsgirl
    edited May 2011
    At least in da chi its like been an epidemic since Wakafloca ,Wayne and others all of a sudden decided dreads were cool. I love my locs but i want people to embrace their hair for the right reasons.
  • Dainty
    Dainty Members Posts: 2,203
    edited May 2011
    I do think it's a fad for some people, a lot of the women I know that are natural did it because they thought it will make their hair healthier & longer smh. I have family members that went natural and then realized that they didn't like the texture of their hair so they decided to relax it again. But there are also some women that do it because they choose to and not just because everyone else is doing it. For the men, I have always seen men with dreads especially in Northern California, I don't know about waka flocka and lil wayne influencing them though.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Dainty wrote: »
    I do think it's a fad for some people, a lot of the women I know that are natural did it because they thought it will make their hair healthier & longer smh. I have family members that went natural and then realized that they didn't like the texture of their hair so they decided to relax it again. But there are also some women that do it because they choose to and not just because everyone else is doing it. For the men, I have always seen men with dreads especially in Northern California, I don't know about waka flocka and lil wayne influencing them though.

Very well rounded paragraph, Dainty. If this doesn't convince ? you're not a "LOL" bot, nuffin will.
  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    bLACK WOMEN are really loving there natural hair right now and I hope it lasts forever
  • Lottafolocsgirl
    edited May 2011
    If they did it because they actually wanted to do it on their own and kept them... and NOT just cause they see people on tv doing it. I would hate to see this trend end ...JUST BECAUSE THEY FAVORITE ARTIST SAID IT WAS UNCOOL again smh ....ya'll know some people just be on Monkey see monkey do mode....
  • Lottafolocsgirl
    edited May 2011
    And Kinky I LOVE LOVE LOVE UR hair real talk you make me want to cut my locs off and get my fro back....thanks for representing true beauty lady:)
  • Dainty
    edited May 2011
    Very well rounded paragraph, Dainty. If this doesn't convince ? you're not a "LOL" bot, nuffin will.

why thank you sir. :D
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    GTFOH these broads just fronting secretly cryin inside cause they aint got that silky straight
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Dudes with long hair are ? no other way to explain it

traitor ass muthafucka.
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    traitor ass muthafucka.

so wacka, wayne, ace-hood are all ? ??
  • Lottafolocsgirl
    edited May 2011
    GTFOH these broads just fronting secretly cryin inside cause they aint got that silky straight

Some people hair is that silky stuff naturally and thats ok for them. But why not rock whatever comes out of your head with no chemicals. I think all black hair is diverse and beautiful. Real talk....
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I'm all for this natural hair movement...
  • Ms Eudoxie
    Ms Eudoxie Members Posts: 406
    edited May 2011
    I went natural b/c I got tired of relaxing. Just trying something different and now I love my natural hair.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    its a fad point blank period...a nice one though.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I'm all for this natural hair movement...

• Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I like girls with dreads...
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011

Sonned nappy-headed ? 's into oblivion
  • dominique19
    dominique19 Members Posts: 295
    edited May 2011
    I have locs and I love them. I don't ever see myself going back to relaxers
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    gtfoh these broads just fronting secretly cryin inside cause they aint got that silky straight

got damn!!!!!!!
  • Ms Eudoxie
    Ms Eudoxie Members Posts: 406
    edited May 2011
    Yeah thats ? too. Kinky curly is way better than stringy straight.
  • Dainty
    edited May 2011

well damn pico! this is just so mean.........smh
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2011
    Fads go out of style. How can your natural hair texture go out of style?
  • Dainty
    edited May 2011
    Fads go out of style. How can your natural hair texture go out of style?

I don't believe it's about the hair texture it's about the people doing it for the wrong reasons, like because they saw someone on youtube with natural hair so they want natural hair too. If that makes any sense.
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2011
    Dainty wrote: »
    I don't believe it's about the hair texture it's about the people doing it for the wrong reasons, like because they saw someone on youtube with natural hair so they want natural hair too. If that makes any sense.

Oh yeah, I forgot the title said "movement" derp dep. My bad. Well..I think its a trend, but its a good trend nonetheless.