Stretching

Options
truth spitter
truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Weight Room
Do yall stretch? If so how often? What is your routine? And if not, why don't you?

Currently I do P90X's X stretch 3 times a week. I need to do it more cause I'm not flexible at all. I really need to work on it.

Comments

• verbal juke
    verbal juke Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nah I don't stretch. Why not? Have you ever seen a Cheetah stretch before he catches his prey? LOL... Honestly stretching is extremely important. I stretch daily, after a quick warm-up before working out. On days that I'm not working out, I do about 5 mins warmup with a jump rope then stretch approx for 10 mins. Yes flexibility is important and it takes more of a front role the older you get...
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I do but I don't make a whole big production out of it.

I'll do ~3-5 minutes on the elliptical to get joints loosened up, the heart rate up a little, and the blood pumping through the body parts.

If I'm doing squats in the power rack, I'll spend about 1-3 minutes walking around doing some exaggerated knee raises to stretch the hamstrings and loosen up the hip flexors followed by about 10 bodyweight squats so that my hip flexors won't get tight when squatting weight.

I be seeing some people at the gym in the corner all twisted up like pretzels on some yoga/pilaties ? but I don't be getting all off into that.
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yoga>>>

I'm way more flexible now and built lean muscle, low impact too. SHIIIIT!!!
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Mane I just got a legit yoga mat and block but it's hard starting off....I think it may be the yoga instruction...I'm doing Yoga X from P90X and that ish is like 1 hour and a half!! I might need to do shorter workouts first and build up to Yoga X...it seems like intermediate level
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Mane I just got a legit yoga mat and block but it's hard starting off....I think it may be the yoga instruction...I'm doing Yoga X from P90X and that ish is like 1 hour and a half!! I might need to do shorter workouts first and build up to Yoga X...it seems like intermediate level

Yeah the P90x yoga is a bit intense for beginners, Don't hurt urself bruh. It will get easier over time tho.
    My best intro to yoga was YRG Hosted by Wrestler DDP, I highly recommend for beginners.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you're doing p90 stretch that's good but 3 times a week is a lot. Try the p90 yoga once a week, stretch once a week, and it will come.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited July 2011
    Options
    stretching before a workout can actually make you more prone to injury. Basically stretching is stretching out muscles and ligaments right? You don't want them too loose before you get under the bar or it could be bad. Dynamic, non-weighted movements or stretch band movements before engaging in your workout has been shown to be effective while stretching is best kept to after your workout since the damage done to the muscles/ligaments in the gym will cause them to tighten up as the body heals itself. That's why you're so stiff and sore the next day. Stretching afterwards can help reverse this and maintain and/or improve flexibility by unwinding the tissue and allowing the body's circulatory system to more quickly shuttle nutrients to the site for repair.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I stretch all the time. Every single time before I lift and all throughout my routines. And I have lower leg issues so I constanlty stretch my calves and lower legs especially before I run. I just feel better.