Stephen Hawking: "afterlife is a fairy tale"

2»

Comments

• melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Professional scientists are overwhelmingly atheist. I could look up the numbers if you want. It's especially glaring compared to the general American population.

lmao

first, this is just a ridiculous ad hominem attack that you have to make because you aren't willing to read any of the science

second, he's probably the most decorated scientist alive. he's a champion of academia. he's sold mad books. c'mon, son.[/QUOTE]

this aint the 80s, science has moved on. and his latest book the grand design, have you read it? this fool uses the m-theory, the ? m-theory as the basis for describing the origin of the universe... C'mon Sun
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    judahxulu wrote: »
    decorated..mmmhmm
    sold mad books...mmmhmmm

what has he done to improve the human condition? society? our everyday lives?

don't worry i'll wait....

u wont give a real answer though, because you know and i know the answer is NOTHING.

you will just continue to troll.

Is this the science version of "Sales aren't relevant" that we see in the Reason everyday?

Anyway, he's improved the human condition by helping to expand our knowledge of the universe, opening up myriad opportunities for further exploration and the improvement of all our lives through the various sciences.

That was easy.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Is this the science version of "Sales aren't relevant" that we see in the Reason everyday?

Anyway, he's improved the human condition by helping to expand our knowledge of the universe, opening up myriad opportunities for further exploration and the improvement of all our lives through the various sciences.

That was easy.

naw bruh....how has he improved our lives in PRACTICAL REALITY?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    My answer actually does affect our practical reality.

I guess you just have no patience and need to have a product in your hands RIGHT NOW, though.

What exactly do you want him to do? Invent a more nutritious bread? Don't move the goalposts. You asked, I answered, and now you're still unhappy because you're unwilling to even consider viewpoints besides your own. You're a willfully ignorant superstitious zealot.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Alkindus wrote: »
    We dont know the origins of our conscious and you will not find one single neuro scientist that can tell you what 70 + % of our brain is for(I'm guessing with human mind you mean our brain?)...most of the things we can label and know what their function is, is based on years of research and comparing with different species(we know which part of our brain makes it possible for us to see/acknowledge things) We know why our brain has it's shape, but we do not know how we got this conscious, we cannot explain why our brains make it possible for us to discuss the things we are now discussing. I'm saying we cannot say our brain dictates our thoughts and actions when we dont know what its for, the given that we can speak about it as if it is just a computer, like our body is just a machine as if we stand above our body, is food for thought not? There were legit german scientists years ago that claimed energy leaves our body the moment we die.

Hawkings is talking about gravity, but where did gravity come from? Nothing in this universe makes sense, nothing is truelly is logical, you cannot talk about what is 'likely' or 'impossible' when all things come from nothing. You cannot tell me something isnt likely when all of the universe came from something thats microscopic....? 's studying the universe say that there are as many galaxies and planets as there is sand in the sahara.....we cannot travel to these other galaxies......maybe that can only happen when you die? absurd theory indeed, but what the hell.

I saw louis theroux;s second doc he made about the church of jesus christ, so I understand why people want to diss religion and it's followers, but it's kinda whack that they ignore the given that consciousness is something personal, enlightment only comes through individuel study and once you reach such enlightment your conscious becomes/already is obsolete.....and you are ready to die.....some reach it by studying the law of moses, others while taking a ? ....

we will find out eventually

Lol @ you claiming no one knows so it's cool to make ? up.

The effects of gravity are at least observable. I'm cool with that.

Also the brain host the mind. All of our actions are seen in the brain in certain regions from speech, to thinking about what we are gonna eat for dinner. You can't separate the two even if you have a belief (unfounded) that you can. The brain does radiate on varying levels depending on the thought action, so the energy can be harnessed for use in external control situations.

PS you can escape proving something and at the same time force a position that someone else doesn't know something because you never bothered to find out for yourself. As i said. Prove it or admit you're making it up as you go. The possibility of anything in our realm are subject to the laws of physics.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    My answer actually does affect our practical reality.

I guess you just have no patience and need to have a product in your hands RIGHT NOW, though.

What exactly do you want him to do? Invent a more nutritious bread? Don't move the goalposts. You asked, I answered, and now you're still unhappy because you're unwilling to even consider viewpoints besides your own. You're a willfully ignorant superstitious zealot.
    I get a Ktulu vibe from you.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I get a Ktulu vibe from you.

So do I, I think it is KTULU.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited May 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    So do I, I think it is KTULU.
    Time will tell and so will the posts:eek:
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    well obviously is was a SUPER POWERED MAGICAL PERSONALITY WHO GETS MAD IF YOU EAT A HAM SAMMICH

believers are idiots

its filled with disease, thats why your not supposed to eat it. most things in the muslim religion are backed by science.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited May 2011
    OFWGKTA wrote: »
    its filled with disease, thats why your not supposed to eat it. most things in the muslim religion are backed by science.
    93f40194.gif
    .'.'.'.'.'.
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    93f40194.gif
    .'.'.'.'.'.

yes, what i say is fact. like science.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    93f40194.gif
    .'.'.'.'.'.

I knew that's what you looked like...

jk lol but ? a coffee, a monster feels so damn good when you take that first sip
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Alkindus wrote: »
    LOL yeah, was pointing out that hawkins logic was just as flawed as the argument of the believers, he said that gravity created something etc which therfor made the entire ? argument of religious bigots obsolete....but what created gravity? isn't gravity by itself something remarkebale and worth studying then? Don't you find it annoying that we cannot answer that question? without asking what created what before that etc and so on. Me questioning hawkins does not mean I believe in some white bearded dude lurking from the clouds lol.

nah you totally missed his overall point...and the point of scientist.

He is super open and willing to finding out the answers to all those solutions. But believes are 100% content that they know the end all be all of the universe.

? is hilarious to me, because believers are to hard headed to understand that their religions are nothing but socialized concepts. The ? you believe now...u wouldn't have believed 40 yrs ago, 80 yrs ago so on and so on. These new found "understandings" are just socialized interpretations. Hence why believers can have different views on religion that range from liberal to conservative to extremists.

Scientist/atheists/and logical ppl, would just like religious believers to get their stories/facts straight before they try to hit us with the ? .
    OFWGKTA wrote: »

and seriously...this "no eating food certain foods" ? is the WEAKEST part of religion
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited May 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    I knew that's what you looked like...
    jk lol but ? a coffee, a monster feels so damn good when you take that first sip

I have a gif that more accurately represents me.... well my dancing abilities anyway

Monster you say? Does it come in percolator form?
  • judahxulu
    edited May 2011
    Believers are stupid.

"Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking recently explained his belief that there is no ? ..."

Although he's at least 75% dead, there's nothing he can factually say about what happens to human consciousness after death.

Period.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Consciousness is a function of the brain, so we actually can make factual statements about how death affects it.
  • judahxulu
    edited May 2011
    Consciousness is a function of the brain, so we actually can make factual statements about how death affects it.
    Well maybe you know better than say the people that contribute to the Oxford Journal who say that consciousness as a brain function is an ASSUMPTION not a fact....

NOT.

Moreover, unless an individual dies andis somehow able to record or transmit their experience then we will never know.

You getting sloppy KKKTULU
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    SMH @ ktulu in this Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

Hawking can only speculate like the rest of us. There's way too much unexplained phenomena in this universe for us to dismiss anything as a possibility.

PEACE
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011

Other than that you live and you die, the consciousness can't tell you what happens beyond that.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    [QUOTE=@My_nameaintearl;2611119]Consciousness is a function of the brain, so we actually can make factual statements about how death affects it.[/QUOTE]

1 of the dumbest things you have said, but not the dumbest.
  • Go figure...
    Go figure... Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    stephen hawking is ur preacher
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Although I think Hawkings is lame for the quasi-theism he exhibits at times, I don't disagree with the quoted statements.

Mainly because he's not saying anything new or unheard of here.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited May 2011
    Stephen Hawking on time travel:

http://timelol.ytmnd.com/

Safe link, and no ads for all the adblock owners
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I agree with him, but he can't prove and I can't prove it. On the other hand, those that think that the afterlife exists can't prove it either. It all comes down to belief and I certainly believe that we have inferior understanding so I can still wrap my brain around there possibly being a single higher being or multiple ones, but us being saved by the higher being or higher beings is just a fairytale to me because we are not that important, but I salute those that make the next man feel important, that is very big of you.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    i knew this would be posted here...funny ?

hawkings secretly wants to die