Masta Ace and MF Doom - MA DOOM! Son of Yvonne Dropping July 17th 2012 (A Year Late!)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Essence
It's sold out already via UGHH.com via pre-order, but Son of Yvonne is set to drop in a little over a week's time!!! CANNOT WAIT! Saw him live a month or two ago and he played the song below for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqnBYaBizQ4&feature=plcp

Who coppin'? I've copped but I have to wait until July 30th for dispatch, SMH!!!
RuffDraft wrote:
NEW TRACK PROPS LOU!
MA Doom: Slow Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2gYnX5s34

MA Doom - PBS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsWZaIpAOQQ

Liking the beat and the crazy concept somewhat, but it I hope they're not coming with this style for the whole album. I want some serious Ace as much as the fun loving Ace.

What you think?

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This is what Masta Ace was talking about at his tour, he was even performing a couple songs from the album!

Can't wait!
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    This is what Masta Ace was talking about at his tour, he was even performing a couple songs from the album!

Can't wait!

You went to see him? How was it, if so?

Looking forward to this release more than almost any other this year... still can't wait for Fashawn's though more so than any of the others! Blu's is up there, but Ace could always come with something brilliant, just great to see him solo again!
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    yo that the "Cookies" beat...
    that was a ? hot song!
    I ? with the "conceptual" ? ...
    I will mos def cop this if its real...

I don't think I've heard cookies?

I like the concept, but I hope it's a one off, when you look towards A Long Hot Summer and the concept that he was messing with there, that was like a whole 'nother level to this track. Masta Ace is one of the best at 'soul' music, his rhymes are as memorable as his concepts, but they're wasted, IMO, if they're about Spongebob lol.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    You went to see him? How was it, if so?

Looking forward to this release more than almost any other this year... still can't wait for Fashawn's though more so than any of the others! Blu's is up there, but Ace could always come with something brilliant, just great to see him solo again!

He recorded his concert on Ustream, it was pretty good!!
    it's on M3HipHop
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    He recorded his concert on Ustream, it was pretty good!!
    it's on M3HipHop

Props, I'll check for it :tu
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options

My bad, I have heard this, didn't realise that was the beat, I like this track a lot... could be a really creative album, just going to miss Ace on his hood tales.

Props on the vid.
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    PBS aint hood tales?

Not in the same way; stoop stories and observations... it's more a concept based around t.v. no song like that can be as relatable.
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    its a hood/crime tale just using muppets as characters...

I get that, but I can't take it seriously as a hood tale when it's muppets :lol:

Still can't wait for the album though and I do give him a lot of credit for those lyrics! He's one of my favourite emcee's so I'm just hoping the album delivers.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

Liking the beat and the crazy concept somewhat, but it I hope they're not coming with this style for the whole album. I want some serious Ace as much as the fun loving Ace.

What you think?

OH ? NO THEY DIDNT FLIP THAT BEAT, FOR YALL 2 YOUNG TO REMEBER in the early-early mid 80's after seasme street the electric company had this 2min commerical break kind of like that emergency test warning and this song will play during the break. LOL Yo i swear to ? as a little kid this song used to get me and my sister so hype that everyday and everytime this song comes on we used to playfight, LOL. When heard that song is was a automatic go.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sounds like its poorly mixed, hopefully its an unfinished version
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sounds like its poorly mixed, hopefully its an unfinished version

This and not sure what to think about this record compared to his others like "Unfriendly Game" and "Alphabet Soup"
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't post in The Essence much but i just found an article i think y'all may enjoy from HipHopDX.com

anyway here it is:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.16871/title.masta-ace-confirms-mf-doom-collaboration-album-ma-doom-is-complete

Home > News > Masta Ace Confirms MF DOOM Collaboration Album "MA DOOM" Is Complete
    Masta Ace Confirms MF DOOM Collaboration Album "MA DOOM" Is Complete

by Jake Paine

posted September 14, 2011 at 11:59PM EDT | 23 comments

Masta Ace Confirms MF DOOM Collaboration Album

The Juice Crew alum confirms another project finished recording week, as his upcoming works reportedly features Metal Face DOOM on the boards.

On Wednesday September 14, Brooklyn, New York emcee Masta Ace confirmed, via Twitter, that his collaboration album with MF DOOM is complete. Ace noted that he "handed in" the project, although label and release date information is still pending.

The project is said to be called MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne, playing off of both veteran emcees' names. Earlier this year, reports indicated that the collaboration features productions from DOOM and rhymes from Ace, as the pair leaked "PBS," which reportedly will not be included on the album.

Who's coppin??
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Will download. Big fan of both, Doom was supposed to rock a show up here last month but ended up having an imposter do a show 2 shows before anchorage so the promoter cancelled. ? me off.

The only Ace albums ive heard are disposable arts and a long hot summer. both classics imo. i think this album will be good but different hearing him on doom beats
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I don't post in The Essence much but i just found an article i think y'all may enjoy from HipHopDX.com

anyway here it is:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.16871/title.masta-ace-confirms-mf-doom-collaboration-album-ma-doom-is-complete

Home > News > Masta Ace Confirms MF DOOM Collaboration Album "MA DOOM" Is Complete
    Masta Ace Confirms MF DOOM Collaboration Album "MA DOOM" Is Complete

by Jake Paine

posted September 14, 2011 at 11:59PM EDT | 23 comments

Masta Ace Confirms MF DOOM Collaboration Album

The Juice Crew alum confirms another project finished recording week, as his upcoming works reportedly features Metal Face DOOM on the boards.

On Wednesday September 14, Brooklyn, New York emcee Masta Ace confirmed, via Twitter, that his collaboration album with MF DOOM is complete. Ace noted that he "handed in" the project, although label and release date information is still pending.

The project is said to be called MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne, playing off of both veteran emcees' names. Earlier this year, reports indicated that the collaboration features productions from DOOM and rhymes from Ace, as the pair leaked "PBS," which reportedly will not be included on the album.

Who's coppin??

Thanks a lot for the update!!! :tu

You coppin'?

I'm definitely coppin', I'm huge Ace fan; really can't wait for this one…. I'm glad PBS was left off the release though, as I wasn't really feeling it…

Big thanks for the thread; I've merged it to keep it all succinct as I like the forum to be; it was supposed to drop in June, slightly delayed lol.

Keep posting here :tu
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    When's it dropping then?
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the update!!! :tu

You coppin'?

I'm definitely coppin', I'm huge Ace fan; really can't wait for this one…. I'm glad PBS was left off the release though, as I wasn't really feeling it…

Big thanks for the thread; I've merged it to keep it all succinct as I like the forum to be; it was supposed to drop in June, slightly delayed lol.

Keep posting here :tu

I like both Ace & Doom. I'mma check it out when it comes out.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    When's it dropping then?

Don't know, doesn't look like that's clear from the article, but independent releases tend to come out quite quickly...
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I like both Ace & Doom. I'mma check it out when it comes out.

What's your favourite releases from them?
  • salamerican1
    salamerican1 Members Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Will download. Big fan of both, Doom was supposed to rock a show up here last month but ended up having an imposter do a show 2 shows before anchorage so the promoter cancelled. ? me off.

The only Ace albums ive heard are disposable arts and a long hot summer. both classics imo. i think this album will be good but different hearing him on doom beats

then you just Haaaaave to cop slaughterhouse. Dope as hell

Used to be a big fan of both of these dudes, but MF's delivery is just unbearable sometimes even with those quotables and masta ace.... He just started to sound like murs for a while there

I'ma cop this tho for old times sake. Maybe messing with MF did masta ace good
  • Wsrvr
    Wsrvr Members Posts: 46
    Options
    I hope its not on some mixtape ? where ace just rhymes over a bunch of dooms old slept on beats...
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    New sopg! Ruff whenever you get back if you could up the youtube in the top post thatd be piff. until then go to this site and youll get to hear a stream. Lots of other good ? on here too.

http://beatboxradioshow.blogspot.com/2012/04/ma-doom-masta-ace-mf-doom-slow-down.html

sounding damn good.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been a Doom fan for years but this is ? garbage. Even though he is in my top 5, this dude is lazy beyond belief. The PBS song is a recycled beat he used for a song named "Kookies" as another poster pointed out, he sends impostors to do his shows, and I just heard another "MA Doom" joint "Slow Down" and it's another recycled beat from the Special Herbs series. Dude needs to step it up and Masta Ace isn't doing any justice on the track either.

...oh, and one more thing....

WHEN THE ? IS ANOTHER MADVILLAIN ALBUM COMING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    I've been a Doom fan for years but this is ? garbage. Even though he is in my top 5, this dude is lazy beyond belief. The PBS song is a recycled beat he used for a song named "Kookies" as another poster pointed out, he sends impostors to do his shows, and I just heard another "MA Doom" joint "Slow Down" and it's another recycled beat from the Special Herbs series. Dude needs to step it up and Masta Ace isn't doing any justice on the track either.

...oh, and one more thing....

WHEN THE ? IS ANOTHER MADVILLAIN ALBUM COMING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    No word on a madvillain album. I hear that the beat for slow down has never been rapped on tho? hes released the instrumental but never let a emcee spit on it and release it? i could be wrong tho. Or theres prolly mixtape freestyles over the beat somewhere. That PBS song wont be on the album tho.

• RuffDraft
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Going seeing Ace on Sunday!! Can't wait!! I'll be dropping a thread with a review on it sometime next week.

Apologies I'm more absent recently, had 2 holiday trips and a tonne of work. I'll definitely get straight in the coming months and will always try to keep my ear out for the best albums to drop threads on :tu

Got Brother Ali and Grieves in a week too… going to be a good two weeks!

Nas tickets go on sale tomorrow, but I think I'm going to miss it; seen him the four last times he's been here.

@ Lou Cypher, do you live in Canada? Heading to Vancouver in the summer for 3 weeks. Looking forward to seeing the place; never been before.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Album set to drop July 17th in U.S. I got it on pre-order but it'll come when I'm in Canada, SMH! So I'm hoping to pick it up via download and if the reviews are good, I'm going to have to cop it twice and get the download too!

Can't wait.