Masta Ace and MF Doom - MA DOOM! Son of Yvonne Dropping July 17th 2012 (A Year Late!)

Options

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just made a thread on this in the Reason... I really need to post here more often.

Just heard it, a lot of recycled beats, but still dope. You know Ace will make it hot of course.
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    Ms. Sweeetface Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely copping it.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    I just made a thread on this in the Reason... I really need to post here more often.

Just heard it, a lot of recycled beats, but still dope. You know Ace will make it hot of course.

@Lab Baby

You just heard what??? The instrumentals or the video I dropped?

You should post here more often, as should a lot of heads!!!

I'll check your thread, been following this since last year; never expected it to drop until I saw Ace a few months back and he did the title track, which was nice and said that it was coming soon… as far as I'm aware, he never got a verse from Doom, which is a shame, but I'm definitely hyped for this… Ace is the Masta.

@Ms. Sweetface, I like your sig, it's looking better centred :lol:
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

I'll check it, been following this since last year; never expected it to drop until I saw Ace a few months back and he did the title track, which was nice and said that it was coming soon… as far as I'm aware, he never got a verse from Doom, which is a shame, but I'm definitely hyped for this… Ace is the Masta.

He got a DOOM verse (albeit kinda sloppy) on Who You Think I Am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NouQQp53API&feature=relmfu

And BDK is on this... got dayum.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

I'll check it, been following this since last year; never expected it to drop until I saw Ace a few months back and he did the title track, which was nice and said that it was coming soon… as far as I'm aware, he never got a verse from Doom, which is a shame, but I'm definitely hyped for this… Ace is the Masta.

Dope, I am not checking any songs until it drops though lol.

I've updated my post above this one, I hadn't finished writing it, that was a fast reply… can't wait to hear the album though!!
  • Lab Baby
    Options

I've updated my post above this one, I hadn't finished writing it, that was a fast reply… can't wait to hear the album though!!

LOL, my bad... yeah, this ain't an album to be downloading. July 17th is gonna be crazy (Nas, Alchemist, Ace/DOOM)... even if I gotta rob somebody I'm coppin them joints.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

LOL, my bad... yeah, this ain't an album to be downloading. July 17th is gonna be crazy (Nas, Alchemist, Ace/DOOM)... even if I gotta rob somebody I'm coppin them joints.

Yeah… it's a shame that MA Doom is sold out though at UGHH. I've had to cop via Amazon, so I'll only get it around the start of August!!! Bit gutted, but at least I'll get it eventually… and like you say Nas will tie me over!!

'Bout time some dope music dropped… this should be ongoing now until Christmas…
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok... so I've been bumping this for a while... its just ok... he could've done a lot more with this concept... also, wheres that pbs track?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn i forgot this came out didnt see it on none of the blogs. I heard it was kinda meh, i know they just threw it together, doubt ace was in the studio with doom in person. Still gonna peep this tho. hope Ace drops another Long Hot Summer/Disposable arts tho, those were some of my favorite concept albums of all time.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Just meh? Just ok? Booooo wtf. Whats wrong with it?
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    ok... so I've been bumping this for a while... its just ok... he could've done a lot more with this concept... also, wheres that pbs track?

Is Son of Yvonne the standout track by some way???

Surprised PBS isn't on there if that's the case...
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Damn i forgot this came out didnt see it on none of the blogs. I heard it was kinda meh, i know they just threw it together, doubt ace was in the studio with doom in person. Still gonna peep this tho. hope Ace drops another Long Hot Summer/Disposable arts tho, those were some of my favorite concept albums of all time.

Surely Ace thought more highly of it, they overshot the release by a year. I thought he'd have really gone for it being as its been so long. Hope I enjoy it, copped it a while back but not at home yet to listen to it.
    Just meh? Just ok? Booooo wtf. Whats wrong with it?

Have you listened to it yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I havnt heard it yet. Ive only heard the 3 or 4 tracks that were posted in the Reason thread which were all dope to me. I wouldve bought it already if the ? was in stores.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this probably one of my favorite tracks...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0gVPTZB4U&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLFE7022135B66B9F0
    I feel like he didn't go in on any of the tracks really... still dope... oh and BDK verse was ill, but DOOM's verse was meh...
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    I havnt heard it yet. Ive only heard the 3 or 4 tracks that were posted in the Reason thread which were all dope to me. I wouldve bought it already if the ? was in stores.

Pick it up from Amazon or UGHH. From what I've heard in the review sections, it isn't worth the pick against Apollo Brown & O.C. or Oddisee's releases… that said, I purchased it early on pre-order.

Giving it a first spin as I'm back home now.

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't buying ? . I'm still waiting for for Madvillainy 2, and that ? Madvillain remix album doesn't count.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    I ain't buying ? . I'm still waiting for for Madvillainy 2, and that ? Madvillain remix album doesn't count.

It's a strange one because Ace has really lifted the album beyond a remix. It's still a solid album, despite the recycling.

Madvillainy two… there's a thought, how many years until we see that?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I copped it digitally

Its aight. Just that some of the beats were some old DOOM beats

Ace still nice on the mic though and his famous skit bloopers at the end were a highlight
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I copped it digitally

Its aight. Just that some of the beats were some old DOOM beats

Ace still nice on the mic though and his famous skit bloopers at the end were a highlight

The bloopers at the end were great, loved the kid trying to rap!

Apart from that, I still think it's a top ten release of the year because of Ace and the fact that I'm not the most ? MF Doom fan, so the beats aren't overly familiar to me…

I think he stuck to the concept reasonably well too, but it's not going to be one of his best releases…

Does anyone know if this was supposed to be a mix tape initially??? I just wish Ace was able to hit the studio more, alone & truly went in on some A Long Hot Summer ? . Because he is so truly capable of outpourings that reach that level.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like an EP to me
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Did some digging, apparently it was supposed to be a mix tape initially… but they're calling it an album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGF6DGhgrpg&feature=player_embedded
    Continues discussing Twitter, Doom's beats and Slow Down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgIq61yYRaE&feature=channel&list=UL
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i only found out about it 2day lol i made a thread on it in reason and someone pointed me here! i need to check the essence more!
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    @water ur seeds lol.

It was hyped over a year ago but then went really quiet. I think they'd have had more hype had they dropped it when it was originally slated. But it's still making lukewarm waves in the underground.

What do you think of it?

I think it's a solid release in fairness, not a classic like some of his other joints, but definitely not a sub-par album in relation to other releases this year.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @water ur seeds lol.

It was hyped over a year ago but then went really quiet. I think they'd have had more hype had they dropped it when it was originally slated. But it's still making lukewarm waves in the underground.

What do you think of it?

I think it's a solid release in fairness, not a classic like some of his other joints, but definitely not a sub-par album in relation to other releases this year.

havnt listened to it yet breda, saw it on ughh and bought it straight away lol... i got every ace album or colabo hes done, hes defo top 5 doa... i love that every album he drops has a concept or theme...
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    @water ur seeds

No doubt, definitely makes for a better premise (the concept albums). I think you'll be pleased, especially if you haven't heard all the recycled Doom beats and don't expect another ALHS or DA.

Let us know your thoughts :tu
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options