Hitting Your Traps

truth spitter
truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Weight Room
Most people I see in the gym only do front shrugs...holding the barbell in front of them..but u can also hit them from another angle by holding it behind you....I also do overhead shrugs holding the barbell above my head..so experiment and feel the difference

Comments

• babel
    babel Members Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I do front and behind. I feel like the behind shrugs are more effective.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    My traps and shoulders grow the easiest of all my body parts so I just do the front barbell shrugs.

The back ones are ok, but gripping the bar with sufficient weight while getting the reps up is a challenge in itself that I'm not interested in with all the sets I do on back day.

I usually hit my traps with front bb shrugs and reverse cable flyes with the cable harnesses at the top setting. At high reps this kills the upper traps and rear delts.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Good tip....I only usually hold the barbells like that when I'm doing stand up forearm curls.......
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    So I did the back shrugs for the first time. My mistake was trying to use the same weight I used for the front since I'm not used to the back shrugs. I did three sets but had to go down for a fourth set to see if my form would be better. It'll probably get better as I incorporate it more but I prefer the front shrugs.