Question for the fake pro-black posters on this site

Options
allreasoned_out
allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
You know who you are.

But just to be sure, if you support hip hop culture (I don't mean its essentials; I mean the culture that has come to be wrapped up with the valorization of violence, drug selling, anti-intellectualism, etc.) and yet count yourself as pro-black because you're anti-white, then I'm probably talking about you.

How do you reconcile your rhetoric with the fact that you support hip hop? Try as I might the most favorable attitude I can see a conscious black person taking toward hip hop is one of ambivalence. I don't think you can be serious about racial progress and think that hip hip is a wholly or mostly benign influence. At best, you're uncertain. And if you're uncertain then you don't go out and support these criminals and the culture that they enact.

From my point of view if you're actively promoting hip hop almost everything else you do or say is nullified.

Comments

• Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hiphop is a business in which i have no shares in, therefore, there is no reason for me to represent it nor promote it for free.

now people who dont be thinkin like dat, they the ones dat the hiphop people, dat be in da bizness, be gettin dey money frum.

And that's "Hip Hop." Just like religion; if you take the money out of the equation, then what would you have?

I'll be a fake pro-black. so what.
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This is great grandstanding, for appealing to racists and all, but where do you eventually place the proper blame for the state of hip hop??

Or, is that too much like...solving a real problem??

Especially in terms of Race?? As in, it is a racial issue...that hip hop record labels which put out self-destructive music to keep Black youth in a trap....are ran by White men.

You have problems with that??

How, these White men will only sign self-destructive rap acts, to...be put on MTV B.E.T. Clear Channel Comm. Jimmy Kimmel Jay Leno shows??

It's who's fault that mass-disseminators of music, frown upon/exclude rappers who present conscious educational and uplifting songs? Is that Black people's fault, too?? Or do you admit that it is the powerful racists, who engineer this 20-yr-old Movement?

Most of all.....do you think they do this, because they understand how allowing MTV B.E.T. Clear Channel etc...to play positive/uplifting hip hop music, will influence America's youth toward atonement? Positivity? Education? ....and since that is not the plans that this racist nation has for Black youth, then are we left to do like you do here, and continue blaming the victims for being victimized?

It's hard for me to take you seriously after the Jalen Rose threads, but I'll take this post seriously.

The ultimate cause of the destructive nature of hip hop is white supremacy, but not in the way that you think.

It was black people who were clamoring for a more destructive form of the music in the early 1990s (not that they themselves thought of it as 'destructive'). The white music executives were resistant, but the people wanted it. All of sudden people and groups like Kwame, the Fresh Prince and the U.M.Cs and the music they made started being viewed as soft. People wanted music that reflected their reality. And the record companies gave in eventually. Now they're surely part of the problem.

So why do I say that white supremacy is ultimately responsible? Because the hood itself is a creation of white supremacy. And without the hood black people would not have wanted the more destructive form of the music that started to dominate around 1992. This is just a sociological point about the accumulated effects of white oppression.

It's funny that you say I'm blaming the victims when I didn't cast any blame at all. What I said is that there is an incompatibility between thinking of yourself as "conscious" and supporting hip hop as a whole. Anyway, I hope it is now clear that I don't blame the victims. Moreover, even if we place the blame where it properly lies ultimately -- on white people -- that changes nothing about whether or not we should support hip hop. We shouldn't.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Question to you why are you on a hiphopsite if you detest.. hiphop..
  • Go figure...
    Go figure... Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ? they called common a gangsta rapper, i guess cuz hes black with a microphone????????

besides its all about the type of hip hop u like, and for what type of occasion.

if u listen to conscious rap while ur chillin, party rap while ur partyin and sum bass knockin ? while ur drivin then i dont see a prob.

but if its just the party ? n thug ? all day everyday theres a prob
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It was black people who were clamoring for a more destructive form of the music in the early 1990s (not that they themselves thought of it as 'destructive'). The white music executives were resistant, but the people wanted it. All of sudden people and groups like Kwame, the Fresh Prince and the U.M.Cs and the music they made started being viewed as soft. People wanted music that reflected their reality............

I dont think black ppl were clamoring for gangster rap persay but it was just something new and palatable to us then because we could relate to it, the dope game was in full swing while the hood was ravaged by murderers, pimps & drug dealers. That was our reality and identity then... until rap music became less representative to who we were. In came the Biggies and Jay Z's of the world. Now we stuck in a materialistic age of rap, where it doesnt represent us at all, we come from poverty for the most part aspiring to "get money" by any means but never being able to accrue true wealth like that 1% we always hear about. How did we get here? Yeah the man put us in this predicament, we used to ? fight for our own identity, now we comfortable and chasing "the american dream", the white mans way of life. We let this ? happen and is time to heal. Playing the blame game gets us nowhere.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You know who you are.

But just to be sure, if you support hip hop culture (I don't mean its essentials; I mean the culture that has come to be wrapped up with the valorization of violence, drug selling, anti-intellectualism, etc.) and yet count yourself as pro-black because you're anti-white, then I'm probably talking about you.

How do you reconcile your rhetoric with the fact that you support hip hop? Try as I might the most favorable attitude I can see a conscious black person taking toward hip hop is one of ambivalence. I don't think you can be serious about racial progress and think that hip hip is a wholly or mostly benign influence. At best, you're uncertain. And if you're uncertain then you don't go out and support these criminals and the culture that they enact.

From my point of view if you're actively promoting hip hop almost everything else you do or say is nullified.

And i can tell you dont know nonthing about hip-hop or hip-hop culture
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited May 2011
    Options

this is what i was thinking the WHOLE time i was reading
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You know who you are.

If you think the ? you hear on the radio is "hip hop" then anything you say or do is nullified and your opinion void.

the fucktastic ? played on the radio has been tainted by the white corporate elite, hence why the soul of hip hop has been completely ripped the ? out of the trash you hear all day on the radio. It's purpose is to keep people of all colors and creeds mentally ? . This is NOT Hip Hop!!!!!! Hip Hop is a movement, as told by the great KRS One. The ? exposed to the masses is not a movement.

I know this thread obviously wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to clear things up anyways. And I can't stand when people refer to maintstream ? Hop as Hip Hop.... it's not even close.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont think black ppl were clamoring for gangster rap persay but it was just something new and palatable to us then because we could relate to it, the dope game was in full swing while the hood was ravaged by murderers, pimps & drug dealers. That was our reality and identity then... until rap music became less representative to who we were. In came the Biggies and Jay Z's of the world. Now we stuck in a materialistic age of rap, where it doesnt represent us at all, we come from poverty for the most part aspiring to "get money" by any means but never being able to accrue true wealth like that 1% we always hear about. How did we get here? Yeah the man put us in this predicament, we used to ? fight for our own identity, now we comfortable and chasing "the american dream", the white mans way of life. We let this ? happen and is time to heal. Playing the blame game gets us nowhere.

co sign! __________________
  • Ladiesman
    Ladiesman Members Posts: 741
    edited May 2011
    Options

I co-sign this, and I'm patiently waiting for the answer.

I consider myself pro black and listen to hiphop. I see hiphop like films it's not real most of these rappers are just actors to me it's entertainment.

To be honest I ask the question to these pro black people what are you actually doing to address the problem, are you talking to the kids, teaching them the love themselves, helping your community, teaching kids their history?????, showing them how they can make legit money, teaching them to be men, hiphop to me is a bunch of men raised by women acting like a women, talking about jewrly etc c'mon now, because the defintion of being a man in the black community is messed up teach these boys what it means to be a man and you'll see things change.

I'm fed up of guys talking rubbish on forums with their Pan African flags and doing nothing to end the problem too many sitting their japping complaing about the white man, things don't get moved unless we move them, hiphop is a powerful tool which can be used for good yesterday I posted Kendrick Lamar hiiipower that's hiphop and got no comments why because it's postive????, also you got Jasiri X, Aisha Skemet, Immortal Technique, Dead Prez. If more black people bought their records they would be big, stop the excuses. Let me give you an example other than the black race, people hate Jews and have done since bible days, jews figured this out fairly quickly and have stuck together, now they got most of the money in the world, think how powerful we would be if we done the same.

Being pro black is a very complex situation every person has their own defintion, that's mine and if you really are serious bout making a change send me a message coz I'm down.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This thread was a waste of time. The T/S obviously doesn't have a clue.
  • Ladiesman
    Ladiesman Members Posts: 741
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »

Briiliant Post, that just said it all

They need to study music. I played in several bands before I began my career as a poet. There’s a big difference between putting words over some music, and blending those same words into the music. There’s not a lot of humor. They use a lot of slang and colloquialisms, and you don’t really see inside the person. Instead, you just get a lot of posturing.[12]
    —Gil Scott-Heron
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »

smh at whoever wrote these