13»

Comments

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
    anything ever written by Jane Austen
    Catch 22 by Heller

48 Laws of Power is too cynical for my liking. I don't think it's that applicable to contemporary times honestly.

The Alchemist was fantastic
  • BeardedFreak
    BeardedFreak Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Malcom Gladwell

He's arguably the greatest author of the 21st Century. I HIGHLY recommend all of his books.
  • el_bandido
    el_bandido Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    By what authority --ted noffs
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    The Alchemist...Amazin
  • outlawd
    outlawd Members Posts: 89
    edited January 2010
    drastic21c wrote: »
    i been reading the 48 laws of power, and i want to read alot more books this year.

im going to get to the art of war and the prince later, but do any of yall have any books that would be a good read.

something that is related to them??

i actually just finished the Art of War, which I must say was an excellent book. it drops jewels that u can use in everyday life.

I am reading Machiaveli the Prince now but i'd say a good book after those which stick to the same theme would be:

No Substitute for Victory: Lessons in Strategy and Leadership from General Douglas MacArthur
  • hotredz18
    hotredz18 Members Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    I've been reading a book that a friend of mine put me on to called Thicker Than Blood and its so far a great read!! I checked out their website and the Author seems very intresting but its a fiction book so I wonder how much of the book is based on his life and he's just not saying....

if anybody wants to check it out the site is www.thickerthanbloodbook.com
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure what books you are interest in, but one of my all time favorite is the book called Hagakure: The book of the Samurai.

I love this book. I think that it is simply marvelous. As an artifact of various thoughts on how one must conduct themselves as a warrior, the book is great fun. But please keep in mind that so much of what is recorded is selected, carefully edited, arranged for aesthetic purposes, and has very little value in an of itself as an historical document. We have accounts of accounts, second and third hand information and accounts, romanticizations of many incidents, compounded by generations of handlers who have their own mental impositions on such texts. But this is a wonderful dream. A marvelous dream. And dreams are OK. Dreams are great. I love a good daydream. And for a good one, and one that comes in bite-size passages, this is a great book. So get it and let your mind sift through the fallen leaves of samurai folklore and legend. Enjoy the beauty of the aestheticized past. It is a dream that has been dancing on the mists of our imaginations of the samurai warriors of old for centuries.
  • enhapsusessum
    enhapsusessum Members Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Any recommendations for books on synths. I know about Cakewalk Synthesizers book, but its limited to Cakewalks synths only.

Id like to know if anyone else can recommend books on synth progaming for sound design.

Thank you.
  • VSOP
    VSOP Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    "a mans search for meaning " by viktor frankl

life changing book that will put all your petty ? into perspective
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited May 2010
    Pet Sematary by Stephen King (nothing like the movie) sometimes dead is better

The Stand by stephen king

the boy who couldnt sleep and never had to (an interesting take on the science of sleep as a creative outlet)

Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (a stand for Native American culture and a testimony for why society is Coyote Blue)

and of course Candide by voltaire
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited May 2010
    mike- wrote: »
    ? still readin in 2010..

read a book read a book read a motherfcuking book. you think that song was just a joke?