"The Greatest Rapper of All Time Died on March 9"- Canibus (R.I.P. THREAD)

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    "Mo Money, Mo Problems" was a huge hit and help to lanch both Puffy's and Ma$e's career into full drive. As great as Puff and Mase came on the track, Biggie once again stole the show with an amazing verse and a flow for the ages. The Track made history at the time dethone the longest running rap #1 single, "Ill be Missing You" which was a tribute to Biggie. The song also made Biggie the only artist in music history to have 2 posthumous #1 Billiboard Hot 100 singles. The single is certified Gold and Platinum. Watch the video here and also during a Jay Z Concert in California of all places, watch the crowd rap word for word Biggie's verse, Classic ? right here:

[Verse Three: Notorious B.I.G.]

Uhh, uhhh
    B.I.G., P-O, P-P-A
    No info, for the, DEA
    Federal agents mad cause I'm flagrant
    Tap my cell, and the phone in the basement
    My team supreme, stay clean
    Triple beam lyrical dream, I be that
    cat you see at all events bent
    Gats in holsters girls on shoulders
    Playboy, I told ya, bein mice to me
    Bruise too much, I lose, too much
    Step on stage the girls boo too much
    I guess it's cause you run with lame dudes too much
    Me lose my touch, never that
    If I did, ain't no problem to get the gat
    Where the true players at?
    Throw your Rollies in the sky
    Wave em side to side and keep your hands high
    While I give your girl the eye, player please
    Lyrically, ? see, B.I.G.
    be flossin jig on the cover of Fortune
    Five double oh, here's my phone number
    Your man ain't got to know, I got to go
    Got the flow down pizzat, platinum plus
    Like thizzat, dangerous
    on trizzack, leave your ass flizzat

BIG came incredibly strong on Mo Money.....this verse still leaves me in a tailspin till this day, as all his songs seem to do. Biggie, true to ? , is the ONLY rapper I have ever heard in my life that's never made a wack song.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    All Hip Hop has a feature story on their front page about CNN and the story behind "LA, LA" and how they did that record to DEFEND Biggie but Biggie wasn't happy about them doing the record. It's cool to hear them talk about Big telling then not to do the song at the time and how Biggie was going to be on the "T.O.N.Y" which was prodcued by one of the Hitmen, Nashiem Mavrick who also produced the Epic Classic "Who Shot Ya". But check it out, it was a great interview from CNN, "War Report" was released 3 months after Biggie died:

The_War_Report.jpg

http://allhiphop.com/stories/multimedia__video/archive/2010/03/03/22138787.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnSVwPyKLzQ
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Erykah Badu pays tribute to Biggie's Legacy on New Album:

Erykah+Badu+673.jpg

Erykah Badu - "I wish I wrote Biggie's song Warning"

(http://www.bet.com/video/997252 - Video)

Despite it's title, Erykah Badu's New Amerykah Part Two has almost nothing in common with it's 2008 predacessor, New Amerykah Part One: 4th World War. While 4th World War was an esoteric concept album about social and world politics, the theme of Return of the Ankh - love and relationships - is much more easily digestable. The album kicks off brilliantly with the stark and off-kilter "20 Feet Tall," where Erykah uses a metaphor to explore the subject of how her lover has become distant: "You, you built a wall, a 20-foot wall, so I couldn't see," she sings. "But if I get off my knees, I might recall I'm 20 feet tall."

And on the brilliantly funky "Fall in Love (Your Funeral)," Erykah uses some old Notorious B.I.G. lyrics to warn a suitor not to try stealing her heart: "There's gonna be some slow singin' and flower bringin' if my burgular alarm starts ringin'," she sings, echoing B.I.G.'s song "Warning" from his 1994 Ready to Die album. Biggie also influences Erykah's "Turn Me Away (Get Munny)." The song's sort of a mash-up of the 1981 Sylvia Striplin song "Turn Me Away" and the mid-'90s Junior M.A.F.I.A. song "Get Money," which features B.I.G. and Lil Kim on the vocals. But Erykah's lyrics are completely different from either of the two songs it's built upon. And while "Fall in Love" is a warning to stay away, "Turn Me Away" is an amusingly stalker-ish plea for acceptance: "I'll wait on your doorstep 'til you let me come in, Hey, I'll be your best friend," she sings.

Biggie did have a strong effect on "RnB" with all his callaborations with RnB singers. Erykah Badu joins a long list of RnB stars that was influenced by Biggie as well.
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sometimes they got it right, sometimes they got it wrong. But giving an album 5 Mics could be great if it ends up Classic or be horrible if it end ups not Classic. 1 short month after Big's death, The Source procliamed his 2nd album a Classic. 13 Years Later they couldn't be more right. Check out the original article:

life-after-death-5-mics.jpg
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Rapmastermind, you need help.
  • rapmastermind
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Happy what would of been 38th B-Day. Still the Greatest!. Biggie is a top trending Topic on Twitter again for his Birtday. Props to All Hip Hop for reconizing his B-Day on the front page. Here's Big's 1st verse from "Respect" which he raps about being the ? before NaS did on "Fetus":

Nineteen-seventy somethin', ? I don't sweat the date
    My moms is late so I had to plan my escape
    out the skins, in this world of fly girls
    Tanqueray and Hennessy until I cold hurl
    Ten months in this gut, what the ?
    I wish moms'd hurry up so I could get buck
    wild, juvenile rippin' mics and ?
    New York New York, ready for the likes of this, uh
    Then came the worst date, May 21st
    2:19, that's when my momma water burst
    No spouse in the house so she rode for self
    to the hospital, to see if she could get a little help
    Umbilical cord's wrapped around my neck
    I'm seein' my death and I ain't even took my first step
    I made it out, I'm bringin' mad joy
    The doctor looked and said, "He's gonna be a Bad Boy"

"Grab your D!cks if you love Hip Hop and F*ck You N!GGAS that shot Big Poppa" - Ice Cube
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    LOL!

The greatest rapper of all time?

Yea, the greatest at watering down the genre and making it disposable.
  • rapmastermind
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    LOL!

The greatest rapper of all time?

Yea, the greatest at watering down the genre and making it disposable.

"Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champange when we thirsty" - GOAT

http://twitter.com/#search?q=Biggie

(Biggie getting love on Twitter for his Birthday, people reciting their favorite Biggie rhymes)
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champange when we thirsty" - GOAT

http://twitter.com/#search?q=Biggie

(Biggie getting love on Twitter for his Birthday, people reciting their favorite Biggie rhymes)

Tell that big butt nurse with the blonde hair to come suck my d*ck.
  • rusty shackleford
    rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Big.. We stay missin' you.

& Happy Birthday to the love of my life... Me stay kissin' you..
  • rapmastermind
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Only bringing this back so the whole I.C. realizes everyone isn't a Biggie Hater. You can feel he's not the GOAT or not even like him but some people take their hate a little to far. It's pretty much established Big is one of the greatest ever. It's just sad that people hate that he's one of the most beloved and will remain one of the most beloved fiigures in this genre's history. Check out this great article that talks about Big being one of the great voices of this generation:

Biggie Smalls: The Voice That Influenced A Generation
    by Frannie Kelley
    August 2, 2010

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128916682

He recorded as The Notorious B.I.G. People knew him as Biggie Smalls, or Biggie. He was murdered when he was only 24 years old. Yet he's one of the most revered, emulated and biggest-selling rappers in the game. Biggie's voice doesn't sound like anybody else's. It's plummy, wheezy, humid. It sounds like it comes from deeper in his chest than other people's voices. He learned diction and phrasing from jazz saxophonist Donald Harrison, when Biggie was just a teenager in Brooklyn and still went by the name Chris Wallace. "The first time I spoke with Chris, the Notorious B.I.G., he was on the stoop," Harrison says. "I was passing by and he just said 'Hello.' We started talking and it grew into a friendship. He was a lot younger, but he wanted to learn about music. And that was magic words to my ears." Harrison wanted to make his neighbor a jazz musician. He gave him homework, made him learn how to ? a Cannonball Adderley solo and listen to Charlie Parker and Ella Fitzgerald. "We worked on various tonguing and speed and agility," Harrison says. "You have to slow things down really slow and take the time to phrase each note." Biggie started rapping with his friends Sam Hubert and Mike Bynum when they were 10 or 11 years old.

Hubert met Biggie in day care, and he became Big's DJ. "We tried to go to the studio at the age, I believe, of 13. My man Mike's dad dropped us off. It was crazy. People don't know that he really did take it serious at a young age," Hubert says. "Things kind of seemed to come easy to him, but that was from a lot of really being focused on getting as good as you could. So all of these things were part of Chris' early development, when he was MC CWest, and it was like he was on a quest to become the greatest of all time." Hubert says even after all that hard work and despite his obvious talent, Big lost focus for a while. "He was on course to just be a brilliant student, college grad, possible doctor, lawyer," he says. "But the pull of the streets — it grabbed him, and he went that route. By 16 he was already gone. Neck deep in it. So him and his mom had a big fallout because he basically stepped off the path." Hubert says there wasn't much Big's mom, a teacher, could do about his choice. "What are you gonna do? Go out to the corner every day and bring him in the house by his ear? It's not gonna happen." Big dropped out of high school after his freshman year. He reportedly began selling drugs, but he kept practicing. At least one person shot video of him free-styling on the street in Brooklyn when he was 17.

A local DJ named 50 Grand made a mixtape for Big that ended up in the Source magazine's Unsigned Hype column. Puff Daddy heard it and eventually signed Big to a deal. By 1993, he had a song in the movie Who's The Man? called "Party and Bulls—t." With the wit and presence evident on that song, Biggie put other rappers on notice. But what he had more than anything else was flow. That's how rappers pace the voicing of their lyrics. They choose a rhythmic pattern to match each beat. Rapper AZ met Biggie when Big was rapping on street corners. He describes flow this way: "Flow is like water. It's like current. It's the fluidity of your words — and how you can slow it up, pick it up, chop it up. You can take a slow beat and flow fast on it because it's the structure of the words. Or you could take a fast beat and really screw it up and make it slow. Flow is a beautiful thing." AZ says you can hear that on Biggie's song "Warning." "I don't care where, what part of the Earth you're from, when you listen to it, the dialogue is slow enough for you to digest it," he says. "When you actually tell a story and be descriptive, that takes talent."

Biggie so impressed his peers in the mid-1990s that almost every New York rapper has recorded a song that includes a shout-out to him. "Big influenced a generation. This whole generation took pieces and bits," AZ says. "Everybody took a piece out of Big that's on the charts right now. Everybody." And he only released two albums. On some of his songs, Big tells true stories. But on some of them he spins the kind of Homeric tales of street lore that can be heard in a lot of rap. There's violence in them, and guns and drugs. "The Chris I knew was a good guy," Harrison says. "He wasn't the guy who did all these things. He was really looking for love and acceptance at the end of the day. That's what he was looking for. And he paid a price for looking for love." Biggie was shot to death March 9, 1997, only 6 months after Tupac Shakur was murdered. The two rappers had been friends, and there's a lot of speculation that their killings were connected. Big's friends still have a hard time talking about the music that he made. After all, in a way, their friend lost his life because of rap. "I can't wear a Biggie T-shirt, you know that, right?" Hubert says. "The pain is deeper than just, than what you could imagine. It's not on the surface." Hubert says if Big had lived, the rap game would be very different today. He was so young — just starting to push the boundaries of his genre and tell stories about people whose voices don't get heard. As AZ says, at the end of the day, rapping is about bringing people into your world. That's what Big used his voice for.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    this thread is needed on the front page to balance out the hate
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    READY TO DIE & LIFE AFTER DEATH: PREMO EDITION (BLENDS BY JIMMY GREEN)

Here all those Classic Biggie rhymes over some Classic Premo Beats:

rtdpremoa.jpg

rtdpremob.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7m83fl

aladbiggiefront.jpg

bladbiggieback.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d2kaxm
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    didnt he say his favorite rapper was pac though? lol
  • DanknDrank
    DanknDrank Members Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    much respect to big but goat is your opinion, just like mines is the best died on sept.13
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    My Favorite Biggie Song from each album. Not the GOAT but... a legend

R.I.P Biggie
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DanknDrank wrote: »
    much respect to big but goat is your opinion, just like mines is the best died on sept.13

It's all opinion at the end of the day but the fact Biggie is even in GOAT discussions is a testament to his legacy. 2 of the Greatest Hip Hop Producers EVER have said many times that Biggie is the all out GOAT, (PREMO and PETE ROCK). I mean come on it don't get more Hip Hop than that. Tupac is Hip Hop's Greatest Icon no doubt but I believe Biggie is Hip Hop's overall GOAT Emcee from a skills standpoint. He was the complete emcee.
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I like biggie but that movie sucked ?
  • DanknDrank
    DanknDrank Members Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's all opinion at the end of the day but the fact Biggie is even in GOAT discussions is a testament to his legacy. 2 of the Greatest Hip Hop Producers EVER have said many times that Biggie is the all out GOAT, (PREMO and PETE ROCK). I mean come on it don't get more Hip Hop than that. Tupac is Hip Hop's Greatest Icon no doubt but I believe Biggie is Hip Hop's overall GOAT Emcee from a skills standpoint. He was the complete emcee.

i love biggie no doubt he's in that top 3 but i can't agree with preemo & rock, nobodys words has been able to reach me & give me goosebumps like pac, and i've been a fan of hiphop since the message
  • jonathand
    jonathand Members Posts: 3,144
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Rip to the real GOAT. I ? who didnt need to get shot, leech off an already established label and start a publicity stunt ass beef to be the greatest. Real lyricist. Them hating rappers didnt deserve to be in the same room with you. Thats why they hated you. ? who dropped a debut that actually sold. Diamond artist. Flat out, the best to ever grace a mic..
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    R.I.P the G.O.A.T
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    jonathand wrote: »
    Rip to the real GOAT. I ? who didnt need to get shot, leech off an already established label and start a publicity stunt ass beef to be the greatest. Real lyricist. Them hating rappers didnt deserve to be in the same room with you. Thats why they hated you. ? who dropped a debut that actually sold. Diamond artist. Flat out, the best to ever grace a mic..

Breh you and tommys hate for pac is on some ? haha.

this thread got nothing to do with Pac so dont bring him in here.
  • rusty shackleford
    rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    jonathand wrote: »
    Co sign.. & I love when these "dudes" say he aint do none of that ? he rhymes about... But never say that about Arnold Schwarzenegger & Wesley Snipes.. Like hiphop aint just another form of show business..

FOH.

RIP To The Greatest.. We Miss You.
  • LuckyFace
    LuckyFace Members Posts: 119
    edited March 2011
    Options
    R.I.P. brother
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    shout out to the LAPD for keeping it gangsta