Is it better to do a full-body workout in a day?

Options
BP OIL SPILL FACE
BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Weight Room
Here's my workout routine, when I'm at my house(depending on the day):

50 jumping jacks
50 jogs
50 jumping jacks
50 jogs
1 set of 5 power clean and jerks(135 lbs)
1 set of 5 power clean and jerks(165 lbs)
1 set of 5 clean and snatches(115 lbs)
2 sets of 10 deadlifts(210 lbs)
1 set of 20 jumping squats(115 lbs)
1 set of 10 wide-grip military press squats(while squatting, you do the military press at the same time-115 lbs)
1 set of 10 close-grip military press squats(115 lbs)
2 sets of 15 barbell curls(115 lbs)
50 jumping jacks
50 jogs
50 jumping jacks
50 jogs

This is all in order, btw.I do deadlifts every 3 workouts and I started limiting the power cleans to every 3 workouts, as opposed to every workout like I used to. Is this a great routine or am I overworking my muscles too much?

Comments

• BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I just added the jumping jacks and jogs into my repertoire a couple weeks ago.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Personally I don't like doing full body workouts that involve all bodyparts on a continuous basis.

Again, and speaking only for myself, I find that my intensity for various lifts goes down when I'm hitting the same muscle groups repetitively throughout the without giving them at least 2 to 3 days rest. I find it easier to make gains in strength and muscle with the following routine:

Monday: Back/Biceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Tuesday: Rest (Cardio), a few sets of ab exercises later (i.e, knee lifts)
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Rest (Cardio)
    Friday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Saturday: Legs (Squats and Calve Raises only), Abs
    Sunday: Rest

Monday on back day, my forearms, triceps, and shoulders are getting hit as supporting muscles with all the rows/deads/pullups/shrugs I do. So They get to recover 3 days until Friday when I hit these directly.
    Between weighted dips, inclines, flat, and narrow grip bench my shoulders and triceps already get hit pretty hard so I may only do 2 isolation exercises for triceps and shoulders. From Friday, they get 2 days to rest until the cycle repeats.
    Same with lower body except I max out RDLs on Wednesday give'm 2 days rest and max out squats on Saturday (and they get 3 days of rest until the next session).

QUESTION:
    I've never done power cleans because I could never find a place for them in my routine. Are they very impactful on the joints?
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Personally I don't like doing full body workouts that involve all bodyparts on a continuous basis.

Again, and speaking only for myself, I find that my intensity for various lifts goes down when I'm hitting the same muscle groups repetitively throughout the without giving them at least 2 to 3 days rest. I find it easier to make gains in strength and muscle with the following routine:

Monday: Back/Biceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Tuesday: Rest (Cardio), a few sets of ab exercises later (i.e, knee lifts)
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Rest (Cardio)
    Friday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Saturday: Legs (Squats and Calve Raises only), Abs
    Sunday: Rest

Monday on back day, my forearms, triceps, and shoulders are getting hit as supporting muscles with all the rows/deads/pullups/shrugs I do. So They get to recover 3 days until Friday when I hit these directly.
    Between weighted dips, inclines, flat, and narrow grip bench my shoulders and triceps already get hit pretty hard so I may only do 2 isolation exercises for triceps and shoulders. From Friday, they get 2 days to rest until the cycle repeats.
    Same with lower body except I max out RDLs on Wednesday give'm 2 days rest and max out squats on Saturday (and they get 3 days of rest until the next session).

QUESTION:
    I've never done power cleans because I could never find a place for them in my routine. Are they very impactful on the joints?

Good drop...power cleans is an olympic lift that can give you a lot of power. Check out some of the power clean videos on YouTube; that's a geat workout.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yea I'm not a fan of full body workouts unless u are a beginner or trying to lose fat.....
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea I'm not a fan of full body workouts unless u are a beginner or trying to lose fat.....

I'm a beginner.

Age 35. Been approx 15 years since lifted any weights for exercise.

So on my 7th session of full body workout exercises, but just some ? I found online, and I do them every 2nd day.

Feel good so far!

Not lifting very heavy, but feel l'm getting a good overall workout as next day and after it feel great. They're just the basic isolation and compound ? but with just dumbbells. Never gone to a gym, so is enough for me for now.
  • Adelsten
    Adelsten Members Posts: 5
    Options
    If you feel ok, then I see no problems with such schedule. However I prefer to separate my workout in some aspects for several days :)