NAS "Life Is Good" (Official discussion thread) Release date 07/17/12

Options

Comments

• YoungChamp
    YoungChamp Members Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Options
    Track by Track analysis
    1. No Introduction - Great production, Nas on some nostalia goin in on his come up
    2. Loco -Motive - Strictly a track for the strapped in the 90's ? , and thats how he's spittin
    3. A queens Story - a filler track for me but nonetheless not even close to wack
    4. Accident Murderers - excellent message about how these young ones aint really on that killin ? ,but want to be so bad,Ross verse doesnt match the song
    5. Daughters - another song with a great message in regards to the pitfalls and triumphs of raising a daughter
    6. Reach Out - I love mary J on this track,old school feel with nasir
    7. Worlds an addiction - Incredbile by salaam, nas narrates the ills of the world, but still professes that hardly anyone is exempt from it (Best Track To me)
    8. Summer on Smash - Doesnt fit the album overall, but a decent radio track for nas with swizz, Miguel seems misplaced though
    9. You Wouldnt understand - Only track that I skip but on first listen its alright
    10.Back When - No Id never seems to fail me, Nas absolutely murks the second verse by the way
    11. The Don - Just a flashy track with a boom bap feel, nas is just on his ego tip in the verses but lets cats know he been doing it for years
    12. Stay - 1st verse relates to the women that he doesnt need but cant seem to let go,addicted to balling ? , and 2nd verse directed to the hating ? but constantly asking himself does he have love for the enemies
    13. Cherry wine - a smooth mellow track seems fit for open mic nights but amy winehouse stills the spotlight for me
    14. Bye BaBY - The guy sample is incredible, Nas goes in on the failed marraige and attacks those who lack the faith to wife their baby moms.at least he tried it.
    15. Nasty -the title says it all
    16. The Black Bond - Nas's ability to paint a mental picture is one that cant be rivavled.
    17. Roses - second best track to me
    18. Wheres the love - excellent way to the end the album.
    Bonus Track : Trust - shouldve been on the original tracklist,thats how good it is
    Overall Life Is Good is not a classic,nor is it Wack or alright by any means. It is Nas's Best Record since 2002's ? 's Son at least sonically. I Rate it 4/5 not 4.5/5 or 5/5 but a 4 mic album Go Cop it
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whoa @ trust.

Do yourself a favor, delete Summer on Smash and replace it with Trust
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a wack review: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20611066,00.html

I personally love to hear stories about back when it all got started...
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll check it out tomorrow
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't see the problem with summer on smash, it seems like people just need something to hate about the album.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    So Im the only person who havent heard the album yet???
    $ days and a wake up...

LIFE IS GOOD..
    July17,2012..

Yoooo... can someone please post a verse or two from the album??
    on the strenghth that me and a few other people are trying to wait until tuesday..

I still ain't heard it either. Already preordered my iTunes and Vinyl copy. Gonna pick up a couple CD's on Tuesday.

And lol @ Nas ever using Biggie lines.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    i don't see the problem with summer on smash, it seems like people just need something to hate about the album.

yeah it sounds really good in the whip too.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listened to the album 3 more times and still not feeling it.....this ? is easily forgettable, it's Hip Hop is Dead/Street Disciple/Distant Relatives status. And I'll reiterate, the lyrics is there but the production is ASS! Nas said something like "this is for ? stuck in the 90's", I'm the embodiment of the 90's and if this album was for me, I'm not impressed...and like I stated in a previous post, I expected a rejuvenated Nas spitting on some modern day ? . This album is a 2 out of 5....I got to cherry pick ? I like to put on my ipod....
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    It's killin me waiting till Tuesday to hear this ? man. It's Saturday. Some folks saying great production and others saying it's bland or forgettable. Damn, I think a lot of people want different things out of Nas so he will never satisfy everyone. I just want some hot ? .
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    @mumo_x Brother where you been?? See ya boys KD and Timmy couldn't get it done this year. Kobe still the GOAT.

Life is good though!
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @Mumo_X

Thanks that you call me ? ! You are the prophet ?
    320506387_c36c91a7ba_o.jpg
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    So anybody who's "downing the album don't know what the ? they talking about"? or maybe thats ? genuine opinion

other people are bein objective and aren't groupies like ya'll

• genocidecutter
    Options
    On track 7 pretty good so far
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    illedout wrote: »
    So Im the only person who havent heard the album yet???
    $ days and a wake up...

LIFE IS GOOD..
    July17,2012..

Yoooo... can someone please post a verse or two from the album??
    on the strenghth that me and a few other people are trying to wait until tuesday..

I still ain't heard it either. Already preordered my iTunes and Vinyl copy. Gonna pick up a couple CD's on Tuesday.

And lol @ Nas ever using Biggie lines.[/quote]

yea That Nas using biggies ? aint make sense..

we gotta get somebody to post some lyrics to hold us over until the album drops..
  • genocidecutter
    Options
    Just got done listening to the album. A solid 4/5 my favorite songs include are Trust and The Don. This is hands down the best non-horrorcore album I have heard this year.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is hands down the best non-horrorcore album I have heard this year.

LOL
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'm not saying anyone has to like the album as much as myself but I'm wondering what some people wanted from NaS. This is his 10th LP, 14th Total with compliations. Every NaS album sounds different from the previous. He truly does evolve. What him and Saleem was trying out on Street's Disciple was perfected on "Life Is Good".

"Street's Disciple" was really uneven, but this album is more balanced. The Production is some of the best NaS has had in a while. You heard it here 1st but I think NaS finally gets his 1st Grammy on this album. Also I always like Amy Whinehouse voice and knew we lost a true talent when she died. But listening to "Cherrywine" it really hit me how soulful she was. Her vocals were amazing. I think that should be the next single. I also think he should release "You wouldn't understand" cause it has a summer vibe windows down type record.

Also "Summer on Smash" is the weak link of the album but I understand NaS had to do it for the label. NaS always has 1 or 2 generic bad club records. He's from the same Era as Pac, Big and Jay. He has to do it. Some will criticize him for the club records but if he didn't make them all you would hear is "NaS don't do records for the club". Again commerical records aren't NaS forte but he does at the very least try to do the records to show versitility. But again every NaS album got 1 bad club record on it, lol. As soon as I heard S.O.S., I thought "Oh ? , here is make the world go round II" lol.
  • blazn101
    blazn101 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i agree with you @rapmastermind this is a good adult album. i don't know what other people want from Nas besides that..also i liked 'summer on smash' and think it's cool record that says life is good..
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    blazn101 wrote: »
    i agree with you @rapmastermind this is a good adult album. i don't know what other people want from Nas besides that..also i liked 'summer on smash' and think it's cool record that says life is good..

Yea Summer on Smash works for the type of record it is, but NaS just always sounds a little awkward on club records to me. He has some good ones. But I say it all the time, if "oochie wally" was a Jay Z record, it would of went #1 same with "You Owe Me" but cause NaS does it people call it wack. SOS isn't wack it just feels out of place.

I feel like "You Wouldn't Understand" does a better job at being the "Feel Good" song of the record. Also your right about this being a "Grown Man" album. No disrespect to my young fans, that doesn't mean you can't appreciate it but this album is from the mind of a 38 year old man who's been married and has had 2 kids. I'm 32, me and NaS aren't that far apart.

When "SD" dropped, NaS was 30. So I understand if a lot of fans who've been brainwashed by what's Hot Today completely don't understand this record cause they aren't use to substance, they are used to Fast Food Hip Hop. It goes right through you where as NaS makes the type of Hip Hop sticks to your bones.

• JYo79
    JYo79 Members Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @rapmastermind I think you wouldn't understand would be a great choice for the next single, he should add Az to the video version. This song remind me of sugarhill. As far as S.O.S its not bad for a club/radio record, especially with all this garbage that over the airwaves. Let's just be thankful it didn't have 2chaaaiinnss lol
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    JYo79 wrote: »
    @rapmastermind I think you wouldn't understand would be a great choice for the next single, he should add Az to the video version. This song remind me of sugarhill. As far as S.O.S its not bad for a club/radio record, especially with all this garbage that over the airwaves. Let's just be thankful it didn't have 2chaaaiinnss lol

Yea, I really like "You wouldn't Understand". Some may have called the beat a little generic but Buckwild flipped that Classic 80's sound with that record. As soon I heard the beat it reminded me of being a kid in the 80's while my mom's would clean up the house listening to Miles Jaye. Also ol' ? the hook vocals were good. To me that song has some chart potential. Like you said, Have AZ and NaS on the beach or some ish, just show them having a good time on a sunny day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8d7LQp034c
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    LIFE IS GOOD SAMPLE CREDITS:

"No Introduction" contains a sample from "Don't Cry" by Kirk Franklin
    "Loco-Motive" contains a sample from "L'Illustration Musicale"
    "Accident Murderers" contains a sample from "They Said It Couldn't Be Done" by Norman Feels, "The Bridge" by MC Shan
    "A Queens Story" contains a sample of "Étude Op. 10, No. 12" by Frédéric Chopin, "Peter Piper" by Run-DMC
    "Daughters" contains a sample of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Wayne McGhie & The Sounds of Joy, "Dust to Dust" by Cloud One
    "Reach Out" contains a sample of "Ike's Mood" by Isaac Hayes, "Once In A Lifetime Groove" by New Edition
    "World's An Addiction" contains a sample of "Something's Missing" by The Five Stairsteps
    "You Wouldn't Understand" contains a sample of "Let's Start Love Over" by Miles Jaye, "Eric B is President" by Eric B & Rakim
    "Back When" contains a sample of "The Bridge" by MC Shan, "Double Agent Jones" by Barry Moore Combo, "Live Routine" by MC Shan, "Raptivity" by Ronnie Gee
    "The Don" contains a sample of "Dance Inna New York" by Super Cat
    "Stay" contains a sample of "Seven Steps to Nowhere" by L.A. Carnival
    "Bye Baby" contains a sample of "Goodbye Love" by Guy
    "Where's the Love" contains a sample from "You Are What You Are" by William Ray
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'm not saying anyone has to like the album as much as myself but I'm wondering what some people wanted from NaS. This is his 10th LP, 14th Total with compliations. Every NaS album sounds different from the previous. He truly does evolve. What him and Saleem was trying out on Street's Disciple was perfected on "Life Is Good".

"Street's Disciple" was really uneven, but this album is more balanced. The Production is some of the best NaS has had in a while. You heard it here 1st but I think NaS finally gets his 1st Grammy on this album. Also I always like Amy Whinehouse voice and knew we lost a true talent when she died. But listening to "Cherrywine" it really hit me how soulful she was. Her vocals were amazing. I think that should be the next single. I also think he should release "You wouldn't understand" cause it has a summer vibe windows down type record.

Also "Summer on Smash" is the weak link of the album but I understand NaS had to do it for the label. NaS always has 1 or 2 generic bad club records. He's from the same Era as Pac, Big and Jay. He has to do it. Some will criticize him for the club records but if he didn't make them all you would hear is "NaS don't do records for the club". Again commerical records aren't NaS forte but he does at the very least try to do the records to show versitility. But again every NaS album got 1 bad club record on it, lol. As soon as I heard S.O.S., I thought "Oh ? , here is make the world go round II" lol.

these last two post sound like the nas apologist train man ..... forreal ...... ? can like what they want to like ...that dont mean others are going to rock with it ...it is what it is .... this ? blaz101 said "its a good adult album i dont know what people want" ..... lol whats that ? even mean bruh? an adult album? .... ? in here comin with some wild ? ....