Sources: Cavs eye trade to add 2nd pick

Options
will grimey
will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
I've never seen a team with the top 2 picks....That would be major if they bypass Irving and get Kemba & D Williams.....Gotta respect Cleveland's bitter hustle...

Already owners of the No. 1 pick in the draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers are trying to sweeten their position by securing the second pick as well, according to league sources.

The Cavaliers are in discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons about a three-team trade that would give Cleveland the top two picks of next month's NBA draft.

The Cavaliers would use the picks to select Duke point guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona forward Derrick Williams, the sources said.

In the trade being discussed, Cleveland would absorb Detroit's Rip Hamilton into the $14.6 million trade exception it received in last summer's LeBron James sign-and-trade with Miami, while also receiving the Pistons' No. 8 pick. The Cavaliers would then send that pick, along with their fourth pick, to Minnesota for the Timberwolves' second pick.

Cleveland would then buy Hamilton out of the two years, $25 million remaining on his contract, leaving the veteran shooting guard free to sign with another club as a free agent. Chicago would be one of the likeliest destinations.

Cleveland nearly traded for Hamilton at the February trade deadline with the intention of buying him out. In that scenario, Hamilton would have signed with Chicago after the buyout. The motivation for Detroit, which has been looking to move Hamilton for years, is mainly financial.

Whether the trade comes to fruition or not, the Cavaliers are all but certain to use the No. 1 pick on Irving, a favorite of the team's front office. The club's owner, Dan Gilbert, is a huge fan of Williams and sees him and Irving as building blocks for the future.

While one of the Cavaliers' greatest needs is at small forward, Williams, though viewed as a 'tweener, is seen by most league executives as a power forward. If the Cavs draft Williams and determine that he can't play small forward, they may deal power forward J.J. Hickson, who has good value on the trade market.

Comments

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Good for the bulls Rip aint what he once was but still a solid 2 guard, The cavs trying to develop there own big 3 and the Pistons and T-wolves will still be the Pistons and T-Wolves
  • will grimey
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah Rip would fit in....I think Dan Gilbert is so desperate to rebuild this team that he will make a grave mistake...
  • will grimey
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Damn Rip is 34....He'll still be a decent 6-7th man...
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont think richard hamilton is what the bulls need he will be 34 next season.

In hindsight joe johnson would of been perfect on the bulls
    This a good deal for the cavs tho

yea but not if he was trying to get the money atlanta gave him, i just want to know what happens to baron davis in all of this because to me when he wants to be hes a top 5 pg in the league, it takes him a while to get into nba shape tho and i doubt hes motivated in cleveland right now
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Possibly Trading JJ Hickson would be a very bad mistake, when he was a starter and logged big minutes he put up great numbers, his 13 ppg and 8 rpg were misleading because he wasnt the starter the entire season

per 36 minutes he averaged 17 ppg and 11 rebounds and 1 block

dude is 6'10 and 22 years old , that would a just a bad choice in my opinion getting rid of hickson.....that guy can hoop.
  • gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Possibly Trading JJ Hickson would be a very bad mistake, when he was a starter and logged big minutes he put up great numbers, his 13 ppg and 8 rpg were misleading because he wasnt the starter the entire season

per 36 minutes he averaged 17 ppg and 11 rebounds and 1 block

dude is 6'10 and 22 years old , that would a just a bad choice in my opinion getting rid of hickson.....that guy can hoop.
    if they move hickson they better get a soild sf back..(williams will be better then hickson)
    at the very least irving and willams gives the cavs fans hope and will put butts in the seats...

how about something like this/// hickson and filler to some how get iggy from the sixers..they've been tryna trade him for a while now and are targeting big man in the draft
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    LOL at old ass Rip Hamilton being the answer and why the ? are the Cavs trading up for the second pick for, this draft is weak sauce.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If this trade happens....................smh
  • bigpoppa1115
    bigpoppa1115 Members Posts: 174
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You must have not read the article because it said they want Irving and Williams. not that they would bypass Irving to get Kemba and Williams
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont think richard hamilton is what the bulls need he will be 34 next season.

In hindsight joe johnson would of been perfect on the bulls

This a good deal for the cavs tho

rip @ 34 playing for veterans minimum > Joe Johnson getting max money and averaging 17 points

great move by the Cavs though, this is a good draft for value when you start getting into the late picks but theres only 2 "star" potential guys in the lottery so if they can get em both that'd be smart. Cavs bad luck continues though, next years draft is gonna be way better than this years.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rip @ 34 playing for veterans minimum > Joe Johnson getting max money and averaging 17 points

great move by the Cavs though, this is a good draft for value when you start getting into the late picks but theres only 2 "star" potential guys in the lottery so if they can get em both that'd be smart. Cavs bad luck continues though, next years draft is gonna be way better than this years.

took the words out of my mouth...
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

most likely they will have a top 3 pick next year too
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    how hilarious would it be if BOTH dem ? was busts....?