Lets Talk About Your RESUME (Employed or Not)

Options

Comments

• Pura~Diabla
    Pura~Diabla Members Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2011
    Options
    unless u tryna to get a job as a graphic designer or something in that field, get rid of the pictures
    and it's 'tough' and 'crowd'

Lol, right. And even if he was, they would laugh their ass off at his use of basic clip art.
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *sigh*

"Tough Crowd"
  • stlien314
    stlien314 Members Posts: 68
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Bruh...how old are u?
  • Pura~Diabla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    LMAO @ Piggly Wiggly...I just noticed that.
  • geechee slim
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lmao...what the ? that gotta do with stocking cans at the Piggly Wiggly?
    TS what u type of job are u looking for? or ar u open to anything?

First off, Piggly Wiggly is this ? . High service, low prices.

And the job I'm looking for is in Customer Service of some type. On feet, on phones, office, school or diner. Hourly positions only, no SALES and MARKETING.
  • geechee slim
    edited May 2011
    Options
    stlien314 wrote: »
    Bruh...how old are u?

26, veteran, working for the past 10 years. Some college, some military I'd LOVE to go back to school and get the degree but I need a JOB first, feel me. School is not free. Especially when you got student loans to pay back like mine.
  • **2sweet**
    **2sweet** Members Posts: 205
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You don't have to list EVERY job that you've ever worked on your resume.
    For one only put the experience relevant to the job in which you are applying.
    Make your objective simple..for example if you want a Job as a receptionist.
    Make yout objective "position as a receptionist
    Please get rid of the pictures.
    And make it short and simple that's way more professional
    And I agree with the other posters about completely.deleting arbys.
    Oh and lastly give a very detailed description of your duties of the job that you have worked in the past that
    Are relevant to the position.

Sorry if this is not written so badly I'm posting from my phone.
  • bluntone
    bluntone Members Posts: 358
    edited May 2011
    Options
    that resume is doing too much. you want action words for the descriptions. "managed, assisted, mastered", etc.
    i'm mad we can tell your number from your resume. 843-302-6450?
  • geechee slim
    edited May 2011
    Options
    first thing i saw (besides them big ass pics)

my best friend from Monchs Corner SC and i stayed laughing everytime he mentioned PW so i appreciate u putting up with my cracks

Moncks Corner. But I'm Big on the Pig, I got a few shirts. You have to say it like PIG-UH-LEE-WIG-UH-LEE.
  • geechee slim
    edited May 2011
    Options
    bluntone wrote: »
    that resume is doing too much. you want action words for the descriptions. "managed, assisted, mastered", etc.
    i'm mad we can tell your number from your resume. 843-302-6450?

No, *cough* that ain't my number.
  • **2sweet**
    **2sweet** Members Posts: 205
    edited May 2011
    Options
    first thing i saw (besides them big ass pics)

my best friend from Monchs Corner SC and i stayed laughing everytime he mentioned PW so i appreciate u putting up with my cracks

and this is the best advice I think any of us can give u

@sweets- yup it was writen like u was typing w/ ya knuckles but it's ok, we love u

Lol @ typing with my knuckles...
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    my resume is kinda long
  • stlien314
    stlien314 Members Posts: 68
    edited May 2011
    Options
    26, veteran, working for the past 10 years. Some college, some military I'd LOVE to go back to school and get the degree but I need a JOB first, feel me. School is not free. Especially when you got student loans to pay back like mine.

ok bruh u should check out monster.com they have section on their that will help u with ur resume. U should also ask around in your city to find a place that's like a career center or some ? . they had one at the college i went to. just dont show nobody that resume u put on here. ? will laugh at u son! take them damn pics off!
  • Pura~Diabla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There's so many free resources out there....monster.com resume services is a waste of money IMO.
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

? why the ? you paying back college loans and you ain't got no degree?
  • Pura~Diabla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    like the unemployment office. they got ppl there that will help him improve his resume for free.

Exactly. That's the first place I thought of.
  • babafryo
    babafryo Members Posts: 679 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    no to the pics man, makes you look like an ?
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    * Your resume shouldn't be longer than one page...unless you have extensive experience
    * Your most relevant experience should be listed first
    * You should have multiple versions of your Resume....for each kind of job you want
    * Practice your resume out on jobs you're lukewarm on before you apply to the jobs you really want. if you get a call back/email/interview, you know your ? is right

Tidbit: most hr employees are only spending minutes on your resume. your resume needs to be able to be deciphered in less than a few seconds. if you going for an investment banking job, that internship at JP Morgan needs to be first. if you going for a consulting gig, that job experience at Bain & Co needs to be first. take advantage of the attention span of the person reviewing your resume & focus on the key parts of you.
  • geechee slim
    edited May 2011
    Options
    mrsoutcity wrote: »

I didn't know school was free. NOTHING is free. I been outta school since '07.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

Uh.. you still have to pay it back...
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I didn't know school was free. NOTHING is free. I been outta school since '07.
    major pain wrote: »
    Uh.. you still have to pay it back...

I mean why take college loans if you ain't going finish school.
  • rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I LIKE pictures, tho. But alright, I'll take them out. ANd I'll take out the Arby's part entirely.

DAMN, yall a tought croud.
    You may like pictures, but employers want a simple resume: no pictures, no colors.

Right.

Its too much. Nice, simple, professional.

This is from a person who has filled out resumes good enough to get me hired @ an engineering firm, and a utility infrastructure firm (my current job).

No bragging, just sayin'...keep it simple, not like you doing a Power Point presentation.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *sigh*

"Tough Crowd"

bro ure actually very lucky, if that CV was foreal, this "Tough Crowd" just saved u a lot of time you would have wasted by handing that CV out. Listen to what people are saying no matter how harsh it is ? there is some valuable advice in there
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There are so many resume templates that TS can use from online. With mine, all I did was find one that I liked, copied and pasted it into Word format and simply plugged in my information from there.

I agree that TS having pictures and other simple ? (sparkle/glitter effects) is way over the top and is probably THE best way to ensure your resume having a big fat red "86" stamped on it upon receipt.

If you're having problems with the body of your resume, see if you can get a copy of an old job description summary of any of your previous positions. That should at least get you headed in the right direction in getting your resume up to par.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I mean why take college loans if you ain't going finish school.

Huh? You dont take a loan at the end son. Every semester is paid up front, if thats how he paid for it, then he owes that money. Doesnt matter if he finished or not.