These parents are raising a child without telling it or anybody else its gender

Options
@My_nameaintearl
@My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
A Toronto couple are defending their decision to keep their infant's sex a secret in order to allow the child to develop his or her own gender identity.

Kathy Witterick and David Stocker have been widely criticised for imposing their ideology on four-month-old Storm.

The family were the subject of a recent profile in the Toronto Star newspaper.

In an e-mail, Ms Witterick wrote that the idea that "the whole world must know what is between the baby's legs is unhealthy, unsafe, and voyeuristic".

Ms Witterick, 38, and Mr Stocker, 39, have also been criticised for the manner in which they are raising their two sons Jazz, five, and Kio, two.

The boys are encouraged to choose their own clothing and hairstyles - even if that means wearing girls' clothes - and to challenge gender norms. Jazz wears his hair in long braids, and the boys are "almost exclusively assumed to be girls," Mr Stocker told the Toronto Star.

The child's grandparents do not know Storm's sex, the Toronto Star reported, and have grown weary of explaining the situation, but are supportive.

In an e-mail to the Associated Press news agency, Ms Witterick, a stay-at-home mother, said a four-month-old infant was still learning to recognise him or herself, and said it was inappropriate to impose a gender identity on the child.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13581835

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    defending their decision to keep their infant's sex a secret
    Associated Press
    BBC
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Spoiler alert: It's another boy.
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hmmmmm... Now, I wonder what color these people are? What race could they possibly be? I have no clue.
  • Pura~Diabla
    Pura~Diabla Members Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This is beyond ? ...they are setting that child up for future failure and ridicule.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This is beyond ? ...they are setting that child up for future failure and ridicule.

What are you basing this projection on?
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Once they hit puberty, they will be doomed...doomed
  • shawnbrown
    shawnbrown Members Posts: 2,256
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i think its a good idea... let them grow up and be themselves. not what the world wants them to be... if they can make you they can break you.. here in America, they manufacture ppl straight from birth
  • Pura~Diabla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What are you basing this projection on?

I'm basing it on the world we're living in. Everyone else is going to identify that child for what it really is...a male or a female.
  • Straight Cash Homie
    Straight Cash Homie Members Posts: 66
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The kid's ? name is Storm. If they have another one will they name it Gambit? Maybe Magneto. Perhaps Cyclops. These people are ? idiots. That's why I always say that ? granola eaters shouldn't be allowed to procreate. ? hipster morons.
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The kid's ? name is Storm. If they have another one will they name it Gambit? Maybe Magneto. Perhaps Cyclops. These people are ? idiots. That's why I always say that ? granola eaters shouldn't be allowed to procreate. ? hipster morons.

I like granola lol...
  • Pura~Diabla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lmao.....................
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That's their business.
    Wouldn't happen in my home.
  • tam
    tam Members Posts: 903
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I read about this yesterday..

i just thought it was a hermaphrodite
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    tam wrote: »
    I read about this yesterday..

i just thought it was a hermaphrodite

It never said that in the article.
  • lilhd47
    lilhd47 Members Posts: 833
    edited May 2011
    Options
    is it a boy or girl
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the baby is a boy...and yeah that child is going to be socially ? ... i read this article earlier this week and you can already see the difficulty with their older children saying they don't mind girl clothes, they just don't want to be mistaken for girls and even asking their parents to let people know they're boys...I see what the parents are TRYING to do but what they don't realize is that those children have to learn to live in the world as it is, where gender rules exists, and not in the world that will only exist in their parents home...they're setting their kids up for failure
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think you're proving the parents' point, blackrain. The kids are deciding for themselves.
  • missiamtheshit
    missiamtheshit Members Posts: 949
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i've officially heard it all.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think you're proving the parents' point, blackrain. The kids are deciding for themselves.

but they said they still won't enforce gender norms meaning no matter what the kids decide, the parents will treat them as if no decision has ever been made...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    They won't enforce the norms. They will let the kid decide what to wear, what games to play, etc.

Unless you're seeing otherwise somewhere in the articles about this situation, but I'm not.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    They won't enforce the norms. They will let the kid decide what to wear, what games to play, etc.

Unless you're seeing otherwise somewhere in the articles about this situation, but I'm not.

They'll be suicidal once they reach puberty...
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The baby is clearly a boy but the fact that his name is Storm is so bad ass.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    no huruma post? shocked..........
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ? I'd tell him if I ever met him
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A Toronto couple are defending their decision to keep their infant's sex a secret in order to allow the child to develop his or her own gender identity.

Kathy Witterick and David Stocker have been widely criticised for imposing their ideology on four-month-old Storm.

In an e-mail, Ms Witterick wrote that the idea that "the whole world must know what is between the baby's legs is unhealthy, unsafe, and voyeuristic".

Ms Witterick, 38, and Mr Stocker, 39, have also been criticised for the manner in which they are raising their two sons Jazz, five, and Kio, two.

The boys are encouraged to choose their own clothing and hairstyles - even if that means wearing girls' clothes - and to challenge gender norms. Jazz wears his hair in long braids, and the boys are "almost exclusively assumed to be girls," Mr Stocker told the Toronto Star.

The child's grandparents do not know Storm's sex, the Toronto Star reported, and have grown weary of explaining the situation, but are supportive.

In an e-mail to the Associated Press news agency, Ms Witterick, a stay-at-home mother, said a four-month-old infant was still learning to recognise him or herself, and said it was inappropriate to impose a gender identity on the child.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13581835

'Society' will teach them what gender they should identify with based on what they look like so while I respect the sentiment, it's pointless. They might be setting them up for serious conflict and rejection with/from their peers.