How the hell is New York the mecca of basketball????

Copper
Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
the Knicks never win ? , New york doesnt have a dominant college team....and I cant think of a player that was born and raised in new york that is considered the best or top 5 of all-time....yet all I hear from new yorkers is that they hail from the mecca of basketball and about the rucker or madison square garden....and all the hyped up ball players that come outta NY never live up to thier potential....? should stick to dancing and harlem shaking with basketballs under thier shirts and leave competition to the rest..

jordan, oscar and bill russell are from the south
kobe and wilt from philly
bron, wade, bird magic are from the midwest

Comments

• OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Thats were it all started at the rucker. do some research before you start a thread on some ? .
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    When I think of NY basketball I don't even think of the NBA and the Knicks. ? be street balling on every NY city block corner. I still don't really think any City is the Mecca of basketball but for street ball NY is known for that.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Why do people think when they say the mecca there talking about the knicks?
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    venice beach and some parts of chicago are known for street ball but they dont claim to be the mecca....
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    It's the mecca of that "And 1/streetball" ? . But dat about it.

And they make MSG out to be some "holy ground" for the NBA, but it's most known for all the epic ? players ON THE OTHER TEAM did there. lol.

I guess that means Atlanta is the mecca of football since ATL got some fierce flag football leagues (trust me, I know, lol) and the Georgia Dome hosts every SEC Title game, several Super Bowls, and we all know what "other" teams have showed out against the Falcons there. lol
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Aside from New Yorkers (which should tell you something)....I havent heard anybody refer to NY as the mecca of BBall.
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    rage wrote: »
    Aside from New Yorkers (which should tell you something)....I havent heard anybody refer to NY as the mecca of BBall.

sports broadcasters say it all the time
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    lol @ u being the mecca b/c several players from other regions came thru and crushed ur buildings!!!
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    LOL NY thinks they're the mecca of everything. Hustling, basketball, rap, etc. ? have an overestimated sense of importance.

This...

And they make MSG out to be some "holy ground" for the NBA, but it's most known for all the epic ? players ON THE OTHER TEAM did there. lol.

And this...
  • rage
    edited May 2011
    sports broadcasters say it all the time

Like who?? Not trying to be an ? ...but I honestly have not heard people call NY the mecca of basketball outside of NYers. I mean its not like they are some kind of dynasty...they only have 2 chips and the last one was 38 years ago.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Like who?? Not trying to be an ? ...but I honestly have not heard people call NY the mecca of basketball outside of NYers. I mean its not like they are some kind of dynasty...they only have 2 chips and the last one was 38 years ago.

I hear it all the time too. I heard it about 5 times during that Knicks/Boston series when they played @ MSG and when Melo first went there. (Not to mention the numerous playoff games in the 90s.)
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011

There not talking about the knicks in present day.
    When they say NY is the mecca of basketball they mean thats were it started. Thats were the best street ballers started. Thats were they hold tornys every year. They play AAU games at the rucker.
    Also NY is a big basketball state. The knicks are more loved then the giants and jets.
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    To make it easy. Google the mecca of basketball and see what comes up. That should tell you all you need to no.
    ? not a game. Its life
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    u cant be the mecca if 1. basketball didnt start their or 2. the best dont come out to thier
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    mrballs wrote: »
    MICHAEL JORDAN was born in Brooklyn, NY son. Get your facts straight. Your argument is now dead

dumb ? . y dont u read.....I said born and raised...he was born thier and his family moved to NC within a few months of his birth....I knew some ? was gonna say that
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    do your research basketball was invented in canada

i didnt realize naismith was from canada.
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    dumb ? . y dont u read.....I said born and raised...he was born thier and his family moved to NC within a few months of his birth....I knew some ? was gonna say that

u right^^^
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    meant by a canadian in Massachusetts ma bad

lol. they balled on peach baskets. with some ? that was like half soccer ball half volleyball. i can imagine the final score being like 20-18.
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    nowhere in any of your posts do you say anything about born and raised. Stop trying to change ? up after the fact.
    ? ? ...u quoted my ? and it was clearly in the first and second line go back and re-read..?
  • rage
    edited May 2011
    OFWGKTA wrote: »
    There not talking about the knicks in present day.
    When they say NY is the mecca of basketball they mean thats were it started. Thats were the best street ballers started. Thats were they hold tornys every year. They play AAU games at the rucker.
    Also NY is a big basketball state. The knicks are more loved then the giants and jets.

It did not ? start there...this is a big misconception. A Canadian invented it, the first ever organized game was played at the Y in Springfield Mass, the first ever professional game was played in Toronto. Who gives a ? about streetballers? If NY wants to be the mecca of AND1 fine...so be it. But real professional basketball never started in NY, nor did the Knicks ever win anymore than 2 chips. Boston, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia all have much more of an impact than NY.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    nowhere in any of your posts do you say anything about born and raised. Stop trying to change ? up after the fact.

So what if MJ was born in Brooklyn he didnt learn to ball playing in NY so that ? holds no ground
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited May 2011
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    It did not ? start there...this is a big misconception. A Canadian invented it, the first ever organized game was played at the Y in Springfield Mass, the first ever professional game was played in Toronto. Who gives a ? about streetballers? If NY wants to be the mecca of AND1 fine...so be it. But real professional basketball never started in NY, nor did the Knicks ever win anymore than 2 chips. Boston, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia all have much more of an impact than NY.

na. ask any player in the league were they like to play at the most. Its MSG. why you think kobe, lebron, wade, and melo always go off when they play there.
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    hater thread
    GOAT gif.......