Can musical preference be a deal breaker in a relationship?

Options
Like Water
Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
I was listening to Frank Ocean's nostalgia,Ultra album/mixtape (if you haven't heard it, dl it immediately) and the skit "? Talkin'" always makes me reflect on its blatant theme.

If you're not familiar with the skit, it's simply some back and forth with Ocean and some women. It sounds like the women are trying to find something to listen to out of his collection and they ask "You ain't got no Jodeci? What is a Radiohead anyway?" Ocean replies, "All you ? want is Jodeci."

I don't believe in the labeling of "smart people music" or "dumb people music", but I do believe that the music you listen to transcends into other facets of your life. I've always been one to put more stock into a woman's ability to at least appreciate the various genres of music, and at least in my experiences, I've had much better relationships with women who are more eclectic in their musical and entertainment preferences.

Don't hit me up with "I only listen to R&B." You do that and you're automatically placed in the "? ' Only" section. 9/10 the women I come across who only listen to R&B like Tyler Perry movies, Housewives of Atlanta, think they should take men advice from Steve Harvey and if they do read, its' some faggy little Terry McMillan or Zane book.

I don't necessarily need you to like everything I like but I don't need you giving me the bitter beer face and asking "WTF is that?" if I throw on Hybrid Theory.

So once again, "Can music be an indicator of how well a relationship will do?" And I do realize this may not apply to every man or woman. This is entirely subjective and based off of some of my experiences.

Comments