Why Do Southern Whites Still Fly The Confederate Flag?

Options
Kushington
Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
is there any legit explanation for that or is it just racism?

Comments

• bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Its the most socially acceptable and visiible way to express thier racist views and reminisce for an earlier time.

Thats why.
  • Godillah
    Godillah Members Posts: 176
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Same reason why gangs still fly flags.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What else would salty crackers cling to???
  • Straight Cash Homie
    Straight Cash Homie Members Posts: 66
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The reason many give is that they view the Confederate flag as a symbol for states' rights. Now, whether that's what they truly believe or whether they just say that to avoid being labeled racists, that's for the individual to decide. Personally, I think that argument is specious at best.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    they say "its not prejudice its pride".....Ive had conversations with crackers about this down here and they dont seem to understand that thier history eps. down here is one of prejudice
  • Kushington
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Godillah wrote: »
    Same reason why gangs still fly flags.

idk bout that cause gangs fight mostly within their own race while the confederate flag represents secession from america based on racial superiority

the confederate flag in and of itself is racist.....gangs aren't inherently racist
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    idk bout that cause gangs fight mostly within their own race while the confederate flag represents secession from america based on racial superiority

the confederate flag in and of itself is racist.....gangs aren't inherently racist

Most white gangs are
  • Kushington
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The reason many give is that they view the Confederate flag as a symbol for states' rights. Now, whether that's what they truly believe or whether they just say that to avoid being labeled racists, that's for the individual to decide. Personally, I think that argument is specious at best.

states rights in the south means NOTHING more than blacks need to "know their place". that flag is racist and some states have it in their state flag smh

to me it represents everything wrong with america, especially since southern states have the most blatant racial inequality and poverty
  • NastyNasty
    NastyNasty Members Posts: 747 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    states rights in the south means NOTHING more than blacks need to "know their place". that flag is racist and some states have it in their state flag smh

to me it represents everything wrong with america, especially since southern states have the most blatant racial inequality and poverty

But don't you know, black folks love to say: I'd rather live around racist whites cause atleast I know where they stand!

That's like saying, I'd rather live in the year 1850, cause at least I'd know where they stood.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    Its the most socially acceptable and visiible way to express thier racist views and reminisce for an earlier time.

Thats why.
  • bluntone
    bluntone Members Posts: 358
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thats why.

what he said
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm sure that some of them actually aren't racist and really do just believe in "state's rights". If the civil war had been fought to free the slaves then it would have been justified but it wasn't.
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I believe some might be racists. But some also are just thick headed and its the history so they still ? with it. I wouldnt do it though. Its not a good look.
  • bignorm73
    edited May 2011
    Options
    States rights is what white folks pull when something happens thats beneficial for blacks thats government instituted.

Like: Freeing Slaves and Segregation and Universal Health care.

Its the right to not do what everyone else does and have thier own backwards ass racist enclave
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    I'm sure that some of them actually aren't racist and really do just believe in "state's rights". If the civil war had been fought to free the slaves then it would have been justified but it wasn't.

this is true.......
  • bignorm73
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »

States rights had been eroding for 100 years. They did not take up arms until Slavery ending was apart of the discussion.

It was about slavery. They say it was not because they dont want to acknowledge theier ancestors died to keep a race of
    people oppressed and as property.

It would be like Germans saying years from now they did not put jews in concentration camps and the holocaust was fake/exaggerated.

OOPS.
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    States rights had been eroding for 100 years. They did not take up arms until Slavery ending was apart of the discussion.

It was about slavery. They say it was not because they dont want to acknowledge theier ancestors died to keep a race of
    people oppressed and as property.

It would be like Germans saying years from now they did not put jews in concentration camps and the holocaust was fake/exaggerated.

OOPS.
    abraham himself said it wasnt about slavery b...
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thats why.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • bignorm73
    edited May 2011
    Options

Barack says the tea party aint racist.

Presidents have to say ? not to embarrass the country.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why do northern whites still fly the confederate flag?
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Barack says the tea party aint racist.

Presidents have to say ? not to embarrass the country.

if u say so....why would white give thier life to stop slavery alot of notherners were not slave owners and didnt believe in it...but i dont think they would have gave thier lives to stop it.....they went to war to stop the south from forming thier own nation and to keep the colonies as one
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Cmon...we know the answer to that.
  • bignorm73
    edited May 2011
    Options
    if u say so....why would white give thier life to stop slavery alot of notherners were not slave owners and didnt believe in it...but i dont think they would have gave thier lives to stop it.....they went to war to stop the south from forming thier own nation and to keep the colonies as one

Exactly. And the south wanted to form thier own nation why?

To have slaves. Its the only thing that they would gain from not being apart of the uniion.

Thats whey theere was secession.
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    we will agree to disagree....but ur still wrong
  • cutthecrapolabuddy
    cutthecrapolabuddy Members Posts: 367
    edited May 2011
    Options

he also didnt care whether the slaves were going be free or not