Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty

Options
haute
haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Powder Room
So for those who don't know about the show,

Jessica Simpson and her friends basically travel the world to see how other cultures define beauty.

It's a pretty cool to see what kind of beauty regiments women go through to look beautiful

But what's more interesting is that no matter what culture every woman has a desire to be looked as beautiful.

How important is looking beautiful to you???
How does that need effect decisions you make about yourself?
And how do you define beauty?

I'll come back to answer later.........

Comments

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Personally, I dont take my physical appearance too seriously.

As long as my hair is combed, my teeth are white and I dont have acne....i'm good.

I was blessed with good bone structure and a nice frame so looking good is low maintenance for me.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i saw a preview of this show.... as much as I can't stand Jessica Simpson ... I think the consept is a great idea and I will be watching it.

I'm intirgued how beauty is seen differntly by diffrent cultures.

I think feeling beautiful is more important than looking beautiful. Because if you feel like ? on the inside it eventually shows. I define beauty as more than physical attraction and a pretty face... it's hearing my nephew tell me I'm make the best snowcones cause I'm the best Aunt in the world.. .or laying out on the beach with my son and just relaxing looking at a sunset and not saying a word or seeing an old couple hold hands and smile at eachother. Things like that are beautiful to me...it's way more than just a nice appearance.
  • betterthenu84
    betterthenu84 Members Posts: 861
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Oh wow I definitely haven't seen the previews for it, that would be REALLY interesting to see what other cultures standards of beauty really are.

Looking beautiful really isn't that imortant to me, its more on presentation as long as you present yourself well you are okay in my book. There really isn't a "NEED" per se for me as long as I'm clean I always feel beautiful. LOL

hmm I define beauty as a inner thing...you know confidence (swag) because if you really think about it there is no such thing as "beauty".
  • bknugga
    bknugga Members Posts: 107
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Good concept...but i heard clips from it, and she comes off as a hypocrite. She talks about how harmful our (USA) culture is to women's mental, with all the skinny images etc.

But, until recently, she made her living off of perpetrating those stereotypes through her videos and look. But now that she's made her money, it's ok to be fat?

Otherwise, i do give her props for showing beauty in other forms...
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well, all of my visual features are usually efforts that have more than one drive.

I keep my physique on point, not only because it makes me attractive, but because it's healthy and helps release stress.

I keep my hygiene on point, not only because it makes me attractive, but because it's healthy and refreshing.

I keep my wardrobe on point, not only because it makes me attractive, but because I'm extremely artsy and have an appreciation, interest and spell-bounding fascination with every and all things design, including fashion.

Well, you see where I'm going with this...

Everything is connected. Nothing I do is solely to be perceived as "beautiful"...
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @ Beam

I'm not saying a persons only reason to do things is about being perceived as beautiful, but to say that not a factor at all is a lie.

Because when people end up disfigured they dont become depressed because all of sudden their "inside" isnt beautiful anymore, they get depressed because they are not perceived a certain way, because they are treated different
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    @ Beam

I'm not saying a persons only reason to do things is about being perceived as beautiful, but to say that not a factor at all is a lie.

Because when people end up disfigured they dont become depressed because all of sudden their "inside" isnt beautiful anymore, they get depressed because they are not perceived a certain way, because they are treated different

I know.

I guess our history of disagreements has lead you to think that I'm always arguing. lol ^_^

I was just saying that I do appreciate beauty, but I also recognize that there are other benefits that come along with some of the things that are done to be perceived as beautiful.
  • MsSouthern
    edited March 2010
    Options
    So I watched the show last night. She was in Thailand

They ate bugs ... ewwww.

They talked about how in Thailand the women want to be pale and have little color on their skin. They feel it is better to be pale because it shows that you don't have to work and your skin is not exposed to the sun.

They also went and learned about the rings that elongate the womens necks and saw the ritual where a young girl asked for the rings. It was actually pretty interesting.

SMH @ Jessica for giggling during mediation. I thought the Buddist Monk was going to snatch her up ..lol
  • betterthenu84
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @Mssouthern

I think when this is ALL said and done she will see that a lot of cultures view lighter skin as beauty. In both my parents countries they have this issue. Its gotten so bad that skin bleaching is illegal and they will put you in jail for bleaching your skin. Its even worse in the Ivory coast and Senagal. I wonder if they'll show that.
  • jenspeter
    jenspeter Members Posts: 12
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jessica Simpson is very beautiful actress and American singer, I like her songs too. Yup skin bleaching is illegal in my country too.
  • lady_c
    lady_c Members Posts: 201
    edited March 2010
    Options
    So I watched the show last night. She was in Thailand

They ate bugs ... ewwww.

They talked about how in Thailand the women want to be pale and have little color on their skin. They feel it is better to be pale because it shows that you don't have to work and your skin is not exposed to the sun.

They also went and learned about the rings that elongate the womens necks and saw the ritual where a young girl asked for the rings. It was actually pretty interesting.

SMH @ Jessica for giggling during mediation. I thought the Buddist Monk was going to snatch her up ..lol

yeah i caught part of it and it was kind of sad to me when the little girl did the rings. bc they were saying they are heavy and they put pressure on your shoulders to stretch the neck and you can never take them off. so they go through that basically their wholes lives, being uncomfortable just to be beautiful bc someone said a stretched out neck is beautiful. i mean its not like they can stop the pain, like we can wear stilettos to be cute, but when we get home, them bad boys are coming off for some slippers lol
  • MsSouthern
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lady_c wrote: »
    yeah i caught part of it and it was kind of sad to me when the little girl did the rings. bc they were saying they are heavy and they put pressure on your shoulders to stretch the neck and you can never take them off. so they go through that basically their wholes lives, being uncomfortable just to be beautiful bc someone said a stretched out neck is beautiful. i mean its not like they can stop the pain, like we can wear stilettos to be cute, but when we get home, them bad boys are coming off for some slippers lol

lol... truth.com

I agree with you.... I was thinking how young that girl was to even want something like that. Or feel she needed it to be beautiful.

I saw this weeks episode from Paris... not as interesting as the first one. Although the story about the model with anexoria was sad. She was sooooo frail and sickly looking.

Next weeks looks good......
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Why would anyone want to bleach their skin anyway? People are so insecure
  • betterthenu84
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Why would anyone want to bleach their skin anyway? People are so insecure

People bleach their skin because its drilled into our heads that lighter skin is more beautiful. I mean really look at GnS..."I'll take a light skin shorty over a ? anyday" or "Light vs Dark" "Light skin stay winning" ? look at our music videos nothing but lighter skin women. Not saying they are not beautiful but it really should show you the images that media is portraying as beautiful. So for the misguided dark skin girl that thinks she's ugly she picks up bleaching cream because the world told her that her dark skin was ugly. smh