Random AXe Drops June 14th who's Copping??

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
June 14th seems like a good day for Detroit hiphop...with this and the Bad and EVil Ep...

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    June 14th seems like a good day for Detroit hiphop...with this and the Bad and EVil Ep...

Don't know about copping seeing as my recent buys have put my money down quite a bit, but I'll definitely give it a listen and see if it's worth a cop!

Is this their first album? Black Milk should definitely make it nice, but I've never been that big a fan of Sean Price or Guilty Simpson... I'm into more chilled hip hop than that... but that's just me, I know from other members/boards that they're definitely well respected/talented.

Looking forward to that Bad and Evil EP!
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm a ? Milk fan so I will mos def get a copy. I haven't really messed with Sean P since Heltah Skeltah broke up, but i do like some of his work after they separated.
  • nujerz84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    IMO Sean Price Monkey Bars and Sean Price both albums were dope as ? .
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    I'm a ? Milk fan so I will mos def get a copy. I haven't really messed with Sean P since Heltah Skeltah broke up, but i do like some of his work after they separated.

Black Milk will be the reason I check out the project, too.

Monkey Bars is definitely one of the most respected releases in the underground, but I never really felt it like that... going to re-listen now :tu
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options

I might check out some tracks on those Sean P joints. I miss the BCC and I even had a subscription to there Duckdown youtube page. I used to be a huge Black Moon, Heltah Skeltah and OGC fan. I also like the 9th Wonder Buckshot colabo albums. I like Chemistry better than the Formula though.
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Black Milk will be the reason I check out the project, too.

Monkey Bars is definitely one of the most respected releases in the underground, but I never really felt it like that... going to re-listen now :tu

Black Milk is underrated on those boards man. He puts out some dope ass beats and he is decent on the mic also. The Midwest has really been putting out a decent amount of quality Hip Hop. You got Royce putting out decent ? , Black Milk, Kanye, Common, The Kids in the hall and even Big Sean isn't that bad. I didn't like Common's last album but I am hoping that he comes correct on the newest project
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Black Milk is underrated on those boards man. He puts out some dope ass beats and he is decent on the mic also. The Midwest has really been putting out a decent amount of quality Hip Hop. You got Royce putting out decent ? , Black Milk, Kanye, Common, The Kids in the hall and even Big Sean isn't that bad. I didn't like Common's last album but I am hoping that he comes correct on the newest project

Yeah, I've always thought highly of the mid-west due to Common and Kanye but Black Milk and Kids in the Hall (didn't realise Kids were from there) are nice too.

Common's last album was terrible. Really disappointing, I'll be hoping with you about the next project... can't complain though, his discography is impressive and he's given enough to hip hop already...
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I've always thought highly of the mid-west due to Common and Kanye but Black Milk and Kids in the Hall (didn't realise Kids were from there) are nice too.

Common's last album was terrible. Really disappointing, I'll be hoping with you about the next project... can't complain though, his discography is impressive and he's given enough to hip hop already...

Naledge is from Chicago, I don't know where double o from. Universal Mind control was hella wack, Finding forever was okay. But like you said Common is to busy doing movies or some ? because he has fell off a little bit.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Copped it for 1.99, lol!!

Solid album!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Naledge is from Chicago, I don't know where double o from. Universal Mind control was hella wack, Finding forever was okay. But like you said Common is to busy doing movies or some ? because he has fell off a little bit.

Yeah, exactly, props on the info. It's a shame Common isn't going for it in terms of his music, but we'll see what his next album is like. I wasn't a fan of Finding Forever though, I listened to it the once and was kinda dumbstruck by it...
    traestar wrote: »
    Copped it for 1.99, lol!!

Solid album!

Where!? LOL
  • nujerz84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Where!? LOL

I tunes Download on Amazon.com
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I tunes Download on Amazon.com

Crazy price, will listen to these, I'm buying Kendrick Lamar's on Saturday though for definite.

What's your thoughts on the release so far?
  • nujerz84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Crazy price, will listen to these, I'm buying Kendrick Lamar's on Saturday though for definite.

What's your thoughts on the release so far?

I only listened to the album all the way thru once... Lyrically its dope... Black Milk PRoduction is an aquired taste his beats aint wack but not mind blowing imo..still got give a few more listens
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    dope album. But I haven't had a chance to cop yet
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I only listened to the album all the way thru once... Lyrically its dope... Black Milk PRoduction is an aquired taste his beats aint wack but not mind blowing imo..still got give a few more listens

Cool cool, I'll probably listen and see what I think, if more independent releases even dropped at $5 I'd be much more tempted to support the majority of releases, but buying in bulk over at UGHH in the meantime every so often.
    satyrone wrote: »
    dope album. But I haven't had a chance to cop yet

How does it stack up against other records that dropped this year?
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hopped on the Amazon deal

still feeling this one out, but right now I can say much as I like alot Black's production

I think I perfer Sean P more on the boom bip and soul samples on 9th and Beatminerz beats
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    hopped on the Amazon deal

still feeling this one out, but right now I can say much as I like alot Black's production

I think I perfer Sean P more on the boom bip and soul samples on 9th and Beatminerz beats

Going to have to check this now as that's a few negatives for Black's production in comparison to the usual praise her garners...

Either way, is the Amazon one a temporary deal? As it's a really good price.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    seam p a cool dude my homie just did a track with him not too long ago...real humble dude
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    seam p a cool dude my homie just did a track with him not too long ago...real humble dude

That's cool. He got an album coming?
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cool cool, I'll probably listen and see what I think, if more independent releases even dropped at $5 I'd be much more tempted to support the majority of releases, but buying in bulk over at UGHH in the meantime every so often.

How does it stack up against other records that dropped this year?

i listen to it a couple of times but id say its up there. i mean nothing special about the record. its highly listenable to me tho.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That's cool. He got an album coming?

not sure if sean p does but the friend i was referring to do. I wouldve been posted him but didnt want ppl to think it was some sort of self promotion or just tryna expose a friend. I think i may upload the song with sean p as one of my two tracks for this months playlist
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Going to have to check this now as that's a few negatives for Black's production in comparison to the usual praise her garners...

Either way, is the Amazon one a temporary deal? As it's a really good price.

yeah Amazon had it for $1.99, not sure for how long tho.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    i listen to it a couple of times but id say its up there. i mean nothing special about the record. its highly listenable to me tho.

Alright cool, looks like it's £7 for the MP3 download here anyways, so I'll hold off for Lamar on Saturday.
    not sure if sean p does but the friend i was referring to do. I wouldve been posted him but didnt want ppl to think it was some sort of self promotion or just tryna expose a friend. I think i may upload the song with sean p as one of my two tracks for this months playlist

Props on that consideration as it's definitely the old I.C. way, which is how I like to run The Essence to keep it thorough, but definitely drop the track with Sean P on the playlist, may garner some fans :tu
    a.mann wrote: »
    yeah Amazon had it for $1.99, not sure for how long tho.

No longer the case in the UK, but props :tu
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This album is really tough. Too little at times, I wish some songs like Karate Kid were longer. But still, great beats and Sean ? Price always delivers an entertaining verse. Nothing groundbreaking, but the fans were not asking for that. A nice smorgasbord of hard beats and hard rhymes.