R.A. The Rugged Man

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
Does anyone listen to this dude? i was listening to Jedi Mind tricks - Uncommon Valor, and he just kills that track, ive had his album Die Rugged Man Die for awhile but never got around to listening to it until recently. Its good, but the songs ive heard him on as a featured artist he definitely shines more than the artist hes collabing with. He even has a song with Biggie and has quite the history in the music biz. What are your fave Rugged Man Songs?

Comments

• stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Does anyone listen to this dude? i was listening to Jedi Mind tricks - Uncommon Valor, and he just kills that track, ive had his album Die Rugged Man Die for awhile but never got around to listening to it until recently. Its good, but the songs ive heard him on as a featured artist he definitely shines more than the artist hes collabing with. He even has a song with Biggie and has quite the history in the music biz. What are your fave Rugged Man Songs?

Man im gonna monitor this thead haha. cause im the same as you.

His verse in Uncommon Valor is probably one of the best in hip hop history.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    R.A. the Rugged Man is one of my favorites!!

I've heard of him over the years through collabs, but this dude sick with the rhyme scheme!!
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Uncommon Valor for all who haven't heard it yet:

Great track and agree with previous posters who state it to be one of the best tracks of 2006 (Appeared in The Essence Playlist of the Year 2006).

As for RA The Rugged Man, he's not an artist that I pursued following hearing him on the likes of SoundBombing Volume's 1 & 2 as well as Hell Razah's Renaissance Child.

I like him as an Artist when he guest features, but he's similar to Jedi Mind Tricks for me, I can respect their skills and their albums to a degree, but they'll never be in heavy rotation, I don't have that need for the ? lyrics, even if I really enjoy his skills and bounce on the track, but his lyrics are fun when taken in a light way, but taken literally, they're very street, to put it mildly, e.g.
    Strictly ? for papers and live life to bust nuts
    We're ? killers, let's be realistic;
    We probably gon' be punished - we ? ? by the 100's
    Why me? Wanna fight me? Try me
    Why these people don't know me - don't like me
    Society, they wanna see me dead I stick out
    You see me in the public, I probably pull my ? out
    Smack the ? out of women, see me knock your ? out
    Do somethin tough guy, who the ? wanna die?

I can't relate in the same way I relate to most Indie Artists...

Song:

From SoundBombing Volume 2.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Another RA The Rugged Man track with Biggie as well:
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    My GAWD Uncommon Valor is harsh!! Damn that was good!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    traestar wrote: »
    My GAWD Uncommon Valor is harsh!! Damn that was good!!

First listen? I think it was song of the year lyrics wise in '06. The storytelling was compelling and vivid and the way that he described death and a collection of people's in heaven in comparison to earth and the further damage that affected his family post-vietnam was just incredible viewpoint writing and delivery, flows incredibly too.
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    First listen? I think it was song of the year lyrics wise in '06. The storytelling was compelling and vivid and the way that he described death and a collection of people's in heaven in comparison to earth and the further damage that affected his family post-vietnam was just incredible viewpoint writing and delivery, flows incredibly too.

Yes it is, lol
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Dude is nice when he just has to lay a verse. But he's ? garbage if he has to carry a song by himself.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Rugged Man will suffer from the same as AZ. having one Amazing verse and never being able to top it.

I Heard that Biggie duet a while ago, its good, but for me its not amazing. not touching uncommon valor.

Im suprised its not more mainstream, cause biggie features normally attract listens.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Yes it is, lol

Always good finding tracks that we've missed!

You should check out some of the older downloads in the Essence Essentials stickied thread :tu
    OFWGKTA wrote: »
    Dude is nice when he just has to lay a verse. But he's ? garbage if he has to carry a song by himself.

Have you checked out some of his albums???
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Rugged Man will suffer from the same as AZ. having one Amazing verse and never being able to top it.

I Heard that Biggie duet a while ago, its good, but for me its not amazing. not touching uncommon valor.

Im suprised its not more mainstream, cause biggie features normally attract listens.

Apparently it's a rare find, so probably unknown to most, similar to the 'unreleased' 2pac tracks...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    OFWGKTA wrote: »

Cosign the bolded. That uncommon valor verse was dope though.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    He did dope on the Celph Titled album with Buckwild. Not his best verse but still great!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    He did dope on the Celph Titled album with Buckwild. Not his best verse but still great!

Great album :tu I think everyone agrees he's good on features, but nobody has mentioned listening to one of his albums yet...
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    ive had his album Die Rugged Man Die for awhile but never got around to listening to it until recently. Its good, but the songs ive heard him on as a featured artist he definitely shines more than the artist hes collabing with.

Die Rugged Man die. Highlights of the album are Black and White, Lessons, Chains, Midnight Thud. all other songs were alright. not a huge replay value
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Die Rugged Man die. Highlights of the album are Black and White, Lessons, Chains, Midnight Thud. all other songs were alright. not a huge replay value

I'll check the tracks that you named, props :tu I'll admit I was never interested enough to check his solo stuff..
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    one of my top 5 MCs
    check out this corny video:
    my personal R.A. song:
    there use to be a bunch of vids on youtube about where he explain every song on Legendary Classics Vol. 1 got made. ? dope.

now there's clips like this
  • just.might.b.ok
    edited June 2011
    never mind, this ? still up:
    im gonna rip all of them later
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Props on the drop Just, I'll check them out :tu
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    one of my top 5 MCs
    check out this corny video:

Alittle bit, but that was funny as hell!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Alittle bit, but that was funny as hell!!

'Come here I wanna show you my MySpace' LOL

The start isn't funny, the rest was though... damn @ them guns lol.
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    'Come here I wanna show you my MySpace' LOL

The start isn't funny, the rest was though... damn @ them guns lol.

What with the kids, hahaha!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    What with the kids, hahaha!!!

It's messed up!!!! hahaha
  • bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    i LOVE R.A.!! muthafucka is MAD grimy and hasn't gotten the props that he DAMN sure deserves. i haven't heard his album yet but i might have to cop that sucka one of these days.

one of my favorite lines by him was that freestyle on the 1st soundbombing:

"the 450lb. big ? ass eater/ask m.c. hammer have you seen her..............."

man if she's 450 lbs. she'd be hard to miss!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    i LOVE R.A.!! muthafucka is MAD grimy and hasn't gotten the props that he DAMN sure deserves. i haven't heard his album yet but i might have to cop that sucka one of these days.

one of my favorite lines by him was that freestyle on the 1st soundbombing:

"the 450lb. big ? ass eater/ask m.c. hammer have you seen her..............."

man if she's 450 lbs. she'd be hard to miss!

Hahaha dude's definitely been around for time, posted that track on the first page if I remember correctly :tu
  • just.might.b.ok
    edited June 2011
    lol google "R.A. the rugged man Dvd" and see the first youtube vid that comes out