The George Costanza Workout pt. 1

Options
Millions Knives
Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Weight Room
Would you believe you can actually get a great workout, build muscle and develop an incredible physique just by doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what everybody else in the gym is doing?

I call it the George Costanza principle.

Here’s why:

There was an old Seinfeld episode where George – completely fed up with the way his life is going – decides to simply do the exact opposite of what’s he’s always done.

So when he sees a beautiful woman in a restaurant, his usual response would be to do nothing. But this time, he walks right up to her and says, “My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.”

The woman swoons.

Later, he lands a job interview with the owner of the New York Yankees. And instead of sucking up, he comes right out and tells the owner he’s doing a terrible job. To which the owner immediately says, “Hire this man!”

The reason I’m telling you this is because recently I noticed something at my local gym.

I noticed that certain exercises and pieces of equipment were always busy and two or three people waiting in line to use them. While other exercises and pieces of equipment were NEVER busy and never had anyone waiting in line.

And it dawned on me that you could actually get a great workout just by doing the opposite of what everybody else was doing and focusing on the often-ignored exercises.

Let me show you, using examples I’ve spotted at my own gym:

Comments

• Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    #1: Crowded, Over-Used Exercise: The Leg Press

The leg press always seems to be busy. And it’s easy to see why. Even raw beginners can use 300, 400 or even 500 lbs right off the bat.

Leg exercises are never “easy”. But the Leg Press is certainly one of the less-demanding leg exercises.

And while there’s always someone pumping away on the leg press, there’s a power rack in the corner that rarely gets touched.

So by following the George Costanza opposite principle, we’ll pick the barbell squat for exercise #1.

#2: Crowded, Over-Used Exercise: Bench Press

The bench press is probably the most popular exercise in the world. And as a result, it can be tough to find an open bench during peak hours at most gyms.

Luckily, you don’t need to wait. Because there’s an old-fashioned, often-ignored exercise that will work your pecs, shoulders and triceps just as good as the bench press. If not better.

I’m talking about dips. Start with bodyweight and when you get strong enough, start adding additional resistance by tying additional weight plates around your waist. (The dip belt is another piece of equipment that gathers dust in most gyms).

#3: Crowded, Over-Used Exercise: The Lat-Pull Down Machine

I think most guys know the Lat-Pull down machine is not a great exercise by any stretch of the imagination. But it’s easier than the alternative so most gym-goers will end up on this machine.

So what’s the Costanza alternative? It’s the dirt simple, tried-and-true pull-up. The Pull-up will pack meat onto your upper back and biceps better than the lat pull-down machine. Why? In short, because pull-ups are harder and harder exercises are usually more productive in terms of building strength and muscle.

Again, start with bodyweight and add resistance by tying more weight around your waist.

#4: Crowded, Over-Used Exercise: The Ab Machine

Most gyms have some kind of ab machine. And it’s almost always crowded because, let’s face it, everybody wants abs.

But nobody ever got abs just from knocking out a few reps on an ab machine.

So here’s an “opposite strategy” that actually makes more sense. Find a spot on the floor where you can anchor your feet. Grab a 25lb weight plate, hold it above your chest (with arms extended, like your grasping a steering wheel) and do sit-ups.

Aim to work up to a 45lb plate and when you can do more than 45 pounds, start using a barbell with weights. (Same way, holding the barbell over your chest with arms locked and extended.)

The End Result?

So let’s recap what we’ve got here. Instead of waiting for the leg press you will do barbell squats. Instead of wasting time wishing for an open bench press you will do dips. Rather than standing in line for the lat pull-down machine, you will do pull-ups. And you’ll finish it off with some weighted sit-ups.

What do we have here? For one, we’ve got a workout routine constructed from “unpopular” exercises. Second, even though this workout routine consists of just four exercises, it works out all your muscles from head to toe.

Don’t let the simplicity fool you. This routine will pack size and strength on any hardgainer.

Here are some suggested set and rep information should you wish to give this workout a try.

Squats: 3 sets of 10. (When you can complete all sets and reps, increase the weight 5lbs for the next workout.)

Dips: 3 sets to failure. (Do as many reps as you can in each set. If you can do more than 10, start tying weight to your waist. When you can do 20 reps total or more over all three sets, add more weight. Example: If you are doing dips with 25lbs strapped to your waist and you do a set of 9, a set of 6 and a set of 4, that’s 20 reps so next time strap 30lbs to your waist.)

Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure. (Same instructions as with dips)

Weighted Sit-Ups: 3 sets of 12. (When you can complete all three sets with 12 reps, increase the weight).

Perform this routine 3x a week for 6-8 weeks or until you stop making progress. (Beginners may be able to use this routine for months and months before progress slows.)

There you have it. A simple, basic (but brutally effective) workout program based on nothing more than George Costanza’s opposite principle.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Threadstarter is a legend among legends with this thread. *thumbs up* Only thing is, I don't workout at a gym since I have a mini-gym in the basement.
  • babel
    babel Members Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I had a feeling you were going to say barbell squats. I avoided them thangs at all costs for years! I don't mind them now.