RIP Nujabes - A true legend in the world of hip hop

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Essence
Nujabes Died in Car Accident, Confirms Label

Nujabes (born Jun Seba), a Japanese hip-hop producer, was killed in a car accident in Tokyo. Nujabes crashed when leaving the Metropolitan Expressway in Tokyo's Minato Ward.

Nujabes was 36 years old when he died. The car crash that killed Nujabes took place on February 26, 2010, the same day a magnitude 7.3 earthquake struck off the coast of Japan. Nujabes' death was only publicly confirmed by Hydeout Productions and by his friend and collaborator, Shing02, today; he was buried by his family in a private ceremony.

Nujabes: Producer and Scenemaker

Nujabes was the founder of Hydeout Productions, as well as the owner of two Tokyo record stores, Guinness Records and T Records. Nujabes (who came by his artistic name by spelling his real name backwards) also contributed music to the anime Samurai Champloo, an anachronistic tale mixing samurai lore and modern hip-hop culture.

Nujabes on last.fm

Nujabes was a private person, and so many, even those who worked closely with him, did not know he had died. The common Internet death rumors did not make it to the English-speaking web, and this is a rare case in which an artist's actual death notice preceded the rumors.

----

SMH. My favourite producer by miles, his music was so soulful.

First discovered him here in 06 or so... this is such a shame. RIP.

Comments

• renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited March 2010
    dam i recently just started getting into his music i think i found out about him from the song he had with cyne feather

thats a big loss to music right there probably my favorite foreign producer next to dela
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    got damn RIP man smh
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    crazy how I was just zoning out last night
    to his ? before i even heard the news of his passing

damn

what happened??
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2010
    ^^ he was coming off a motorway late at night and had a car crash, not many details will leak about it I don't imagine.

Nujabes seemed to live a very private life, just such a shame 'cos he was so gifted.

Good to see some of the oldies have returned to the forum.

This is kenna/Eloquent.

Been playing his music ever since hearing this news, damn.

Hope he's in a better place now... his soul never seemed to be here on Earth anyways.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    _R_i.p.

this is a major loss....dude was nice with it...
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2010
    the_r_ wrote: »
    _R_i.p.

this is a major loss....dude was nice with it...

Understatement, let's hope Emancipator, Fat Jon etc. take it upon themselves to carry the flag.

Can't believe we've lost the one though, Nujabes tracks were all infectious. I disagree with stating he was one of the best in Japan, I think over the past decade he has been one of the best, period.

Too many great songs...
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    daum, rip nujabes
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2010
    If his music wasn't so peaceful and settling this wouldn't be so sad.

The man just seemed to be into his music so much, appearing in his own record shops and just living the life he wanted. Few interviews, a terribly Japanese website not built for non-readers of the language. I had to respect his way of doing things and listened to anything and everything Nujabes or Nujabes influenced.

Sometimes, it just seems that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go.

I'm grateful that he had the time to do what he did whilst he was here. It's just a shame that we won't have another ten years of it.