Hobo Junction Crew vs Hieroglyphics Crew

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
Growin up in the Bay during the 90's was a lovely thing so much damn great hip-hop, the culture was beautiful and it was changing in the early 90's Too Short, Mac Dre, MC Hammer, E-40, 415, SPICE 1, DIGITAL UNDERGROUND, RBL POSSE, RAY LUV was holdin it down but when the early-mid 90's came it was bubblin Tupac Shakur, Celly Cel, Rappin 4tay, Master P, C-Bo, Brotha Lynch Hung, The Hitman, Get Low Crew, Herm Compliations, Paris, The Dangerous Crew.

But then an explosin hit these new breed of emcee's exploded The Luniz, Mystik Journeymen, HOBO JUNCTION CREW and THE MIGHT HIEROGLYPHICS.

Oh did i mention KMEL not only we had the world famous Davey D Street Soliders and Trace and Frenz but we had The World Famous WAKE UP SHOW that started on KMEL on friday nights that played straight hip-hop and local hip-hop. You had people like 2pac, Paris drop by and spit bars.

But what put The Wake up Show and Underground bay area hip-hop on the map is the Legendary battle between to teenage crews out of Oakland.

THE HOBO JUNCTION CREW - Saafir (originally from FRESNO), The Whoridaz (King Hassan & Mr. Taylor )Big Nous, D.A., The, Eye Cue, James Carson, Mahasin, Plan Bee, Poke Martian, Rashinel, Reggie Gibson, Third Raill Vic

The Hieroglyphic Crew - DEL THE FUNKY HOMOSAPIEN, Casual, Pep Love, Domino, Domino and Souls of Mischief

Now before i post the battle we have to know why it happen.

It's happen on some Oaktown business, aka Town ? these kids was still in High School and the other reason is THE SAME THING THAT HIP-HOP DEAL WITH TODAY those from the hood and those from a Upper-Middle Class.

HOBO JUNCTION IS FROM WEST OAKLAND straight from the Hood

Hieroglyphics - Some is from Oakland Hills a very rich area, some came from a well off family of lawyers and ? some went to private high schools the only one from the hood is CASUAL.

So how it really started was some of hiero folks from East Oakland got into with Hobo folks from West Oakland

Comments

• waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options
    that battle was a classic.

i had a ? audio cassette that i must have listened to a billion times cause it was one of the dopest hiphop moments i have ever heard.

the story behind it, as far as i know, is as follows: saafir is pretty much insane. he appeared on causal's album and was down with heiro, but never returned the favor by putting one of them on his projects and overall he never reciprocated the love heiro showed him. why? cause dude is pretty much insane. not a bad guy, just does weird things and doesn't explain them. it goes under the radar when you are multi-talented (remember he was in menace II society) and charismatic (pretty much every west coast artists has shown love to saafir). but the way he handled the heiro situation was just weird.

or was it? i feel like he viewed heiro as a step on the ladder towards getting his music out and took advantage of their obvious ambitions, but never really respected them cause saafir was hood and heiro was burb. so he kicked it with them and made sure he got a spot on an album, then dropped them once he got what he wanted. plus he is pretty much insane.

so the akwardness of the situation eventually caused beef between heiro and hobo junction. apparently saafir went on the wake up show trying to dead the beef one week, then sparking it back up the next. on the audio i have, one of the heiro crew speak on it before the battle: "last week he was coming correct and trying to apologize, and the next thing we know he's back on the show selling wolf tickets about a battle." so things came to a head and the battle was organized.

you remember that break-beat that is used for the biggie/2pac "freestyle" that has circulated all over the place? that's the beat playing while the hosts and a few crew members discuss the reason for the battle. then the battle starts over that beat... man i get goose bumps everytime i hear that beat cause it reminds me of the hobo/heiro battle.

casual is coming off the top the whole time, sort of fades in and out in terms of ripping it and eventually starts whining about how saafir is using writtens. now without delving into the age old debate of writtens vs. freestyle, what appears to happen here is that saafir baited casual into a battle knowing he could prepare. eventually the different crew members get involved. man for man, hobo couldnt hang with heiro cause pep love got his and on the whole heiro camE nice. but there was one dude other than saafir that was MONSTER. it was obviously a written, but so on point in every line in terms of specifically dissing heiro as a crew and individuals... dude said some ? like "you get no love so dead the pep talk" to pep love... he killed it.

the illest part was that about 20 minutes into the battle, a fight breaks out in the studio and they have to cut to commercial. we're not talking about some ? mtv studio that you could house katrina victims in. this studio had what sounded like 15+ people in it and shouldnt have had more than 6 people in it at one time. it wasn't ill in the sense that i like violence, but imagine rhymesayers and def jux going head to head in one room for over an hour with legitimate beef... pretty ill scenario.

i feel like saafir lost head to head cause he was constantly wavering about how seriously he was taking the battle and as a result appeared inconsistent with his verses. the written ? was crazy ill, dude had such a weird sense of humor and pulled a lot of personal cards. but my whole feeling on these kinds of battles, like when sole dissed el-p and everlast dissed eminem, is that when you're just trying diss someone to get a reaction cause you need some pub... even if you win the battle you lost the war.

anyway sorry for the long and choppy response but this battle was definitely in my top 3 hiphop experiences and it's worth checking if you can find a copy. and no, godfing dammit i can't find mine.
  • waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Saafir is a strange dude... hahaha that freestyle/written was mad funny.... kept wondering why you kept stating he was a little bit crazy, was going to ask... but I no longer need to...

Casual wasn't really touching him on that freestyle as you state... no presence either in comparison. Saafir went in though...

Always liked the members of Hieroglyphics, never heard of his 'beef' before though, props on the drop :tu
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    damn some classic ? . brought me back imma have to listen to these hard. i remember hearing them back in the day. props for bringing all this ? up. bay hip hop fell the ? off since the 90s
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    informative ? . i'd bet hiero won in the long run cuz i've only heard of hobo junction thru this battle and only heard of saafir outside of this battle as a member of the golden state warriors
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    damn some classic ? . brought me back imma have to listen to these hard. i remember hearing them back in the day. props for bringing all this ? up. bay hip hop fell the ? off since the 90s

Maybe paled in comparison, but I love the new emcee's outta tha Bay, Fashawn, Blu, Eligh etc. What's not to like about them?!
    SHAYDEEEE wrote: »
    informative ? . i'd bet hiero won in the long run cuz i've only heard of hobo junction thru this battle and only heard of saafir outside of this battle as a member of the golden state warriors

Yeah, plus heiro have some incredible artists in their line up... easily the most successful of the two from my knowledge.
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Maybe paled in comparison, but I love the new emcee's outta tha Bay, Fashawn, Blu, Eligh etc. What's not to like about them?!

Yeah, plus heiro have some incredible artists in their line up... easily the most successful of the two from my knowledge.

you know the ? better than i do. if i were to listen to an album by a hieroglyphics member tonight just to get up on their ? a little more what would you recommend. i already have deltron3030 and montezumas revenge
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    you know the ? better than i do. if i were to listen to an album by a hieroglyphics member tonight just to get up on their ? a little more what would you recommend. i already have deltron3030 and montezumas revenge

Props on the del release in particular, some people's favourites in here...

I'm assuming you have Souls of Mischief '93 'Til Infinity??? Think most rate that over montezuma's revenge...

There's Casual's Fear Itself as well :tu
  • waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options

You should also try Opio's "Vulture Wisdom" and Souls of Mischief Trilogy: Conflict, ? , Resolution is slept on
  • waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • waterproof
    edited June 2011
    Options