Phonte - Anyone Hear any Good Hip Hop Releases from Him Lately?

Options
The 3mcee
The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
edited July 2011 in The Essence
Have you guys heard any new music by Phonte from Little Brother. I'm looking for More Hip hop than R&B from the guy. I haven't even listened all the way through the last The Foreign Exchange album. I listened to snippets of it when it first came out on Amazon and it sounded like 100% R&B. It got nominated for a grammy I think but I wanted to know if it is all R&B

Comments

• f.e.d.s.
    f.e.d.s. Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Have you guys heard any new music by Phonte from Little Brother. I'm looking for More Hip hop than R&B from the guy. I haven't even listened all the way through the last The Foreign Exchange album. I listened to snippets of it when it first came out on Amazon and it sounded like 100% R&B. It got nominated for a grammy I think but I wanted to know if it is all R&B

fukk are u waiting for mayne?? Even if itz R&B itz better than 90% of the ? thatz out 2day
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options
    f.e.d.s. wrote: »
    fukk are u waiting for mayne?? Even if itz R&B itz better than 90% of the ? thatz out 2day

lol. Yeah I know I'm sleeping on that joint but i was expecting it to be like the first joint which was a good mix of R&B with Hip Hop. I like Connected a lot and it has a a lot of good joints on there. Raw Life is my ?
  • f.e.d.s.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    went to see F.E. when they came to Chicago last month...dope show. Don't expect rapping on "Authenticity", but itz a real soulful album
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options
    f.e.d.s. wrote: »
    went to see F.E. when they came to Chicago last month...dope show. Don't expect rapping on "Authenticity", but itz a real soulful album

Does it have any up tempo R&B are all just smooth laid back joints?
  • f.e.d.s.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    more-so smooth. It seems like a personal album 2 me

my personal favorites
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Don't forget that T.F.E also released 'Leave it All Behind as well' before releasing Authenticity.

Both releases post-Connected had their fans, but I personally prefer Authenticity... I think because I was waiting for an R'n'B album this time, where as 'Leave it All Behind' left a sour taste in my mouth...

Phonte on 'Connected' showed the perfect balance between R'n'B and Hip Hop, his raps were personable, insightful and infectious with all the talent they had around them... it's a shame that they took such a sharp turn away....

That said, tracks like 'Maybe She'll Dream of Me' stack up against other releases on 'Connected' so I can't be too disappointed.

As for the T/S, I'm assuming you checked out Little Brother's latest release?

lb-albumcover_44301.jpg

That was only last year, apart from that:

A Twitter Post, stated that he'd be releasing his debut album via F.E. Music on 13.09.2011; entitled 'Charity Starts At Home'. One would assume that it'd be more of a hip hop album, but there's no telling with him...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I saw a video after Phonte and 9th Made up. cant Post the video cuz i got a filter at work but look up something along the lines of "Phonte Speaks on Making up With 9th" its off the Wonder Years interviews. He says that Him and 9th are gonna be working together on his new album, and he says in that video or in a different video interview that it will be a rapping album. no release date or label yet tho.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I saw a video after Phonte and 9th Made up. cant Post the video cuz i got a filter at work but look up something along the lines of "Phonte Speaks on Making up With 9th" its off the Wonder Years interviews. He says that Him and 9th are gonna be working together on his new album, and he says in that video or in a different video interview that it will be a rapping album. no release date or label yet tho.

It's coming 13th September, he released it via his twitter, see my post above yours :tu

Think this is what you're referring to:

Phonte & 9th Wonder put aside their differences and make up after four long years.

Via Phonte’s Twitter:
    Phonte wrote:
    Took 4 years, 2 plates of food and 6 hrs. of convo, but we squashed it. I appreciate the love for me and @9thwondermusic, but us mending our rift had nothing to do with music and everything to do with manhood.

We may collaborate in time, but this is not the start of a LB reunion as neither of us have interest in doing so. Sorry to disappoint. Our friendship began as Phonte Coleman and Patrick Douthit long before a ‘LB’ or ’9th Wonder’ existed. This was about rebuilding that bond.

So in closing, happy new year to all our supporters past and present. Feels great to start the year on a positive note. One love.

Personally, I wouldn't care if Phonte didn't have a track with 9th in the future, I've kinda fallen out of love with 9th Wonder...
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited June 2011
    Options
    last hip hop would probably be his appearance on lil b the based ? 's base for your face
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Sep-00 wrote: »
    last hip hop would probably be his appearance on lil b the based ? 's base for your face

Haven't heard this:

Props...
  • Sep-00
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • Sep-00
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Haven't heard this:

Props...

no prob. i just added the link but didn't know how to do it like you added it.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    no prob. i just added the link but didn't know how to do it like you added it.

No problem, instead of posting the HTML link as you did, the video icon is on the same toolbar as the Bold Italic and Underline functions. It's the second from the right, (video reel icon), just click that and post the URL/www.youtube.com/.... in there... you'll get the video then :tu
  • Sep-00
    edited June 2011
    Options
    aiight. good looking
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    aiight. good looking

No poblem, the sample for that track is mad old, swear it appeared in Blade 1 with Wesley Snipes... good track.
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The base in your face track was alright but it just seemed Lil B was kinda out of place
  • The 3mcee
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's coming 13th September, he released it via his twitter, see my post above yours :tu

Think this is what you're referring to:

Phonte & 9th Wonder put aside their differences and make up after four long years.

Via Phonte’s Twitter:

Personally, I wouldn't care if Phonte didn't have a track with 9th in the future, I've kinda fallen out of love with 9th Wonder...

Good ? to hear that they handled there problems like men. Phonte doesn't really have to be on a 9th track for me to want to listen. I just want to hear him rhyme more and sing a tad bit less. thanks for the info though
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Good ? to hear that they handled there problems like men. Phonte doesn't really have to be on a 9th track for me to want to listen. I just want to hear him rhyme more and sing a tad bit less. thanks for the info though

Most definitely, I think he's a gifted songwriter and can appreciate his singing on levels, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of his fans want to hear him rap more...

And agreed, not a fan of 9th's production more recently, but can definitely respect them squashing the beef. It sounded an immature beef in the first place to be fair. More unwillingness than outright wrong doing on both sides.

Either way, hoping he'll be rapping more come September.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options

Props on this and nice Av :tu

Always a fan of Hi-Tek's production even if this beat is on Kweli's according to the link.

Phonte rappin', dope.
  • Black Dante
    Black Dante Members Posts: 10
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Props on this and nice Av :tu

Always a fan of Hi-Tek's production even if this beat is on Kweli's according to the link.

Phonte rappin', dope.

Yeah it's on Talib Kweli and Hi Tek's Revolutions per minute, i'm guessing its a leftover from Leftback.
  • Mellow Hype
    Mellow Hype Members Posts: 916
    edited June 2011
    Options

No i haven't. I heard that new Zans joint though.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Patiently waiting for a Phonte solo.....
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Patiently waiting for a Phonte solo.....

13th September :tu
    Yeah it's on Talib Kweli and Hi Tek's Revolutions per minute, i'm guessing its a leftover from Leftback.

Lol @ Kweli having a leftover from Left Back lol. Big fan's of both though, just the language.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Phonte has been one of my favorites from the last decade. Too bad he hardly gives a ? about Hip Hop anymore these days. Tigallo For Dolo was great on the last LB album, one of only two tracks I liked from that album (other than Curtains Close)