Phonte - Anyone Hear any Good Hip Hop Releases from Him Lately?

2»

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Phonte has been one of my favorites from the last decade. Too bad he hardly gives a ? about Hip Hop anymore these days. Tigallo For Dolo was great on the last LB album, one of only two tracks I liked from that album (other than Curtains Close)

Tiggalo for Dolo:

Know what you mean, I'm unsure as to whether he will come with his solo back on the emcee tip... hopefully he will... but that song sums him up really:

"? be asking me “Who we got to ride with?”
    They saying “Come back Tay, we been craving”
    We need LB to come and save the rap
    But, truthfully, I don’t think the ? needs saving
    I think we got wives and sons that need raising
    New dreams to fill and for that, we need patience
    Twenty-one years old, I used to slang verses
    But ten years later, I am not the same person
    Whole new perspective, not the same purpose
    And sometimes I have to question if I even want it
    Not mad at the game ’cause it is what it is
    And not mad at the radio ’cause I don’t know what’s on it
    Be in my own universes when I be doing verses
    Burn ‘em down like the ? used to do to churces
    Back in the day in my town, ? "
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited July 2011
    Tigalo for dolo was nothing but truth spitting but that is what my man is great at. Just giving his life story's to his life supporters.

• The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited July 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Most definitely, I think he's a gifted songwriter and can appreciate his singing on levels, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of his fans want to hear him rap more...

And agreed, not a fan of 9th's production more recently, but can definitely respect them squashing the beef. It sounded an immature beef in the first place to be fair. More unwillingness than outright wrong doing on both sides.

Either way, hoping he'll be rapping more come September.

Yeah 9th's production can be repetitive over the duration of an album. I liked the dream merchant vol2 because he did mix it up a little bit but it can still be tough to sit through the whole album without skipping any tracks
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Yeah 9th's production can be repetitive over the duration of an album. I liked the dream merchant vol2 because he did mix it up a little bit but it can still be tough to sit through the whole album without skipping any tracks

Which is a shame and why I'm a much bigger fan of Phonte on 'Connected' as part of The Foreign Exchange... it's a shame he can sing, 'cos I think we would be three 4.5/5 star albums in with TFE.