Dessa (Doomtree Member) A Badly Broken Code (2010)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
a-badly-broken-code-dessa.jpg

Been a while since I stumbled across a female emcee whose album I can play throughout without skipping a track...

Doomtree member (P.O.S' group) Dessa is able to switch between vocals and raw lyrics, she's crafted a great album in 'A Badly Broken Code' (2010) but has been around since 2005. Originally she was a poet following her degree in Philosophy but was later convinced to join the Minnesota Slam Poetry Team. MC Yoni would school her on hip hop and introduce her to Doomtree (WHO UNKNOWINGLY TO HER, LIVED NEXT DOOR!) Crazy, she's dated P.O.S and despite that relationship not working out, is still a member of the Doomtree collective.

Anyways, this album is great and even though I'm only on my second listen I can wholeheartedly recommend it... some of my favourite tracks are below and I highly recommend checking them out :tu The production is atmospheric and ever-changing; yet because she's already a great lyricist (coming from the poetry background) her tracks really speak and are soulful.

She deserves mad props and I can't believe she's off the radar as such, don't sleep! :tu

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to check out another great female artist in Jean Grae via our Artist of the Month series :tu

Thoughts?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I hope people are going to recognise this thread and check the tracks out, this is another Eternia and Moss waiting to be picked up, IMO, it's of that quality, but completely different.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Im gonna give this a listen when i can, its officialy gone on the list.

It seems pretty good....
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Im gonna give this a listen when i can, its officialy gone on the list.

It seems pretty good....

Great disc, really impressed with Dessa... definitely underrated, she needs more listens from everyone really...
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Great disc, really impressed with Dessa... definitely underrated, she needs more listens from everyone really...

I used to have False Hopes by doom tree, but i lost it when i changed over computers.

but to be honest it never made a impression on me, i listened to it a couple of times though. cant really remember it.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    I used to have False Hopes by doom tree, but i lost it when i changed over computers.

but to be honest it never made a impression on me, i listened to it a couple of times though. cant really remember it.

I've never listened to a Doomtree project, but I'm a big fan of P.O.S. who is the leader of the group...

He released 'Never Better' a few years ago, if I was suggesting a CD for you to buy, that'd be up there with Evolution Fight. Pure brilliance.

Great video:
    Great video:
    Another great track from Never Better:
    This is from his previous album, Audition:

You'll probably be up on P.O.S... but just incase you're not :tu
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I liked this album but couldn't love it. At times it seemed too laid back, subtle, and "quiet". Wish she pushed it more forward on the MCing front. She got skills, and I hope to hear moer in the future, but I couldn't get into this one as much as many other underground fans did.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I liked this album but couldn't love it. At times it seemed too laid back, subtle, and "quiet". Wish she pushed it more forward on the MCing front. She got skills, and I hope to hear moer in the future, but I couldn't get into this one as much as many other underground fans did.

Man, I know what you're saying, but I really dug the fact that she brought it in that way, especially as someone from a poetic background, I felt the beats etc. fitted her really nicely and her stories/lyrics were really on point. I felt it a lot, I quite like her voice as well.