Does anyone have a business degree?

Options
MGWIII
MGWIII Members Posts: 29
edited May 2011 in Strictly Business
If so, can you give me info on how long it took to get it and have u actually used it?

Comments

• lady_c
    lady_c Members Posts: 201
    edited March 2010
    Options
    MGWIII wrote: »
    If so, can you give me info on how long it took to get it and have u actually used it?

if you are getting your bachelors, it will take you the standard 4 years. but you may want to major in something more specific bc toooooo many ppl have general business degrees which will make it harder for you to get a well paying job esp if you dont have any experience.
  • MGWIII
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lady_c wrote: »
    if you are getting your bachelors, it will take you the standard 4 years. but you may want to major in something more specific bc toooooo many ppl have general business degrees which will make it harder for you to get a well paying job esp if you dont have any experience.

That is what i could not decide, i do have alot of management expierence about 7 yrs.
  • lady_c
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That is what i could not decide, i do have alot of management expierence about 7 yrs.

ok, are you trying to stay in a middle management type position? if so, then your experience is > than whether or not you get an associates or bachelors imo. if not, then i would advise on getting a bachelors but still try and switch up the major to another business type degree, depending on what you are trying to do - like finance, mktg, acctg, etc
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

Took me 4 years and 1 semester.

I have used it. I will say that having a mentor and someone who actually doing business successfully is probably more valuable.

When you say business are you speaking ownership or more on a management level?
  • MGWIII
    edited March 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Took me 4 years and 1 semester.

I have used it. I will say that having a mentor and someone who actually doing business successfully is probably more valuable.

When you say business are you speaking ownership or more on a management level?

I was thinking of middle management for now than ownership, the company i work for is somewhat small and i know that the owner want to sell when he retires. So i was thinking of taking finance and some accounting. He does teach me little by little.
  • MGWIII
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ok, are you trying to stay in a middle management type position? if so, then your experience is > than whether or not you get an associates or bachelors imo. if not, then i would advise on getting a bachelors but still try and switch up the major to another business type degree, depending on what you are trying to do - like finance, mktg, acctg, etc

thanks for the info, i was leading towards finance and accounting.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm a freshman right now and I pretty much need to decide before fall quarter registration whether or not I want to apply for all the business schools. If I do, my whole sophomore schedule is pretty much planned with pre-reqs. I took hella business and economics classes in high school and aced them all.. and just got a 4.0 in this lil intro to business class... it seems kinda natural to me, I was always the "hustler" type as a kid but I don't know what type of career I would end up with and how much I can make and if I would enjoy it or not. I'm also into film production so I kinda want to start my own film production company but I want to start under someone else. But if I do I already know I'll be applying to my current school's business school (U of Washington) and UCLA (my dream school), but what other schools have good business programs?? Not ivy league ? but something pretty good.. I have 3.65 ? now.. I ? up a lil first quarter but hopefully I can get up to a 3.8 ? before I transfer.. anyone have any recommendations??
  • melissamay
    melissamay Members Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    I'm a freshman right now and I pretty much need to decide before fall quarter registration whether or not I want to apply for all the business schools. If I do, my whole sophomore schedule is pretty much planned with pre-reqs. I took hella business and economics classes in high school and aced them all.. and just got a 4.0 in this lil intro to business class... it seems kinda natural to me, I was always the "hustler" type as a kid but I don't know what type of career I would end up with and how much I can make and if I would enjoy it or not. I'm also into film production so I kinda want to start my own film production company but I want to start under someone else. But if I do I already know I'll be applying to my current school's business school (U of Washington) and UCLA (my dream school), but what other schools have good business programs?? Not ivy league ? but something pretty good.. I have 3.65 ? now.. I ? up a lil first quarter but hopefully I can get up to a 3.8 ? before I transfer.. anyone have any recommendations??

are you trying to stay on the west coast?
  • melissamay
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Most business degrees require you to focus in a core area like accounting/finance/etc, but the most important thing aside from your major is getting internships, and getting different types of work experience. If you took AP classes, you may be able to skip some of the pre req college classes or basic core classes... How long it takes you to get your degree depends on - if you take summer school, open spots in classes you need, and how many classes you want to take a semester, and the number of classes you can skip. Not every college class you take is useful but the whole experience is, and certain classes will come up more in your career than others.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2010
    Options
    melissamay wrote: »
    are you trying to stay on the west coast?

Nope. It doesn't matter to me. As long as its a pretty big city. Like DC, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Chicago, NYC, etc..
  • melissamay
    edited March 2010
    Options
    There's a lot of good schools on the East coast, but I just thought about out-of state tuition, so it might not be worth it. UCLA business school is good too. But, you should think about where you plan on working/living after you graduate. Really if it's a state school that's decently ranked, it really doesn't even matter. If you're gonna spend the money on an out of state school it should definitely be nationally recognized and respected.

Honestly what matters is real world experience...so do different internships along the way while you're in school and you'll be ahead of the game.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2010
    Options
    melissamay wrote: »
    There's a lot of good schools on the East coast, but I just thought about out-of state tuition, so it might not be worth it. UCLA business school is good too. But, you should think about where you plan on working/living after you graduate. Really if it's a state school that's decently ranked, it really doesn't even matter. If you're gonna spend the money on an out of state school it should definitely be nationally recognized and respected.

Honestly what matters is real world experience...so do different internships along the way while you're in school and you'll be ahead of the game.

I live in weak ass Washington state and go to University of Washington in Seattle.. and what you said about settling is exactly why I want to go to school out of state because I feel like if I graduate out here I might be stuck forever. I prefer bigger cities like LA or NY and UCLA was kinda always my dream school and basically the out of state ? is a killer.. thats why I didn't even apply there from high school... but now I'm kinda just prepared to take on those crazy ass student loans.. it will only be 2 years (junior/senior year).. and yeah I've thought about internships but I kinda don't know how to go about it because I already work to support myself and all that plus school, its not much time for non-paid internships.. but definitely I feel like thats real necessary before you actually get out there.
  • lady_c
    edited March 2010
    Options
    as far as business school goes, where you go doesnt matter as much as it does for graduate school. as long as you go to an accredited university you should be good. but if you are planning on getting a mba or masters, you need to be more selective. moreover, you will need to get as high a gpa as you can so you can be selective for grad school.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Took me 4 yrs to get my degree in Business Management and I was thinking of getting my MBA but didn't wanna take the GMAT so I'm currently pursuing a Masters in Organizational Communication. I do use knowledge I gained from my degree in my work now- I do corportate event planning. But trust me with budgeting, working with the board of directors, etc etc....I'm happy as hell I got that degree.

But to be real with you, it means nothing nowadays. A masters degree is the new bachelors degree. You need ur MBA.
  • Hustlers Ambition$
    Hustlers Ambition$ Members Posts: 245
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well I have a question....

I'm currently in school for a business finance degree. Finance has always interested me and with it I plan on being a entrepreneur and opening my own business. I never really had an interest to work for a company for any extended period of time. I always wanted my own.

The thing is I would like to go back and get more credentials. (most likely part-time)

So my question is...what looks better for what I want to do, a masters degree or a MBA? I'm going to have own funds to start what I want as well(which is why I work so much....) but just hypothetically..... When you are marketing yourself to venture capitalists, investors,banks etc. What would look better?

I have asked this question to a number of people already, and have received a mixture of different answers....just thought I would ask a few people here....generate some opinions....
  • lady_c
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well I have a question....

I'm currently in school for a business finance degree. Finance has always interested me and with it I plan on being a entrepreneur and opening my own business. I never really had an interest to work for a company for any extended period of time. I always wanted my own.

The thing is I would like to go back and get more credentials. (most likely part-time)

So my question is...what looks better for what I want to do, a masters degree or a MBA? I'm going to have own funds to start what I want as well(which is why I work so much....) but just hypothetically..... When you are marketing yourself to venture capitalists, investors,banks etc. What would look better?

I have asked this question to a number of people already, and have received a mixture of different answers....just thought I would ask a few people here....generate some opinions....

it really depends on what youre trying to do with it, because a masters is more narrow, while an mba is broader. for example if you get a MAC (masters of acctg), you are basically getting a bachelors degree of acctg x 100, with a few electives, but mostly acctg courses. so an accountant, tax attorney, consultant, etc may benefit from getting a MAC.

mba programs usually have 2 different formats: 1. you earn a general mba, which is just take w/e classes you want after the required core electives. or 2. an mba that makes you choose a concentraion - in this format, you take your required core electives, then you take x amt of required classes related to your concentration, then you take w/e other type classes you want

a person whose career has a broader scope would do better earning an mba. this would be more for an entrepreneur, business owner, higher level exec, etc. since you are looking at improving your resume and or business plan for potential investors, i would say that an mba would be the route you want to go with. bc you are selling youself as a person who can make this business plan happen. if you can make them feel comfortable that you have knowledge of business as a whole in each arena (finance, acctg, econ, mktg, and bus admin/mgmt), then they may be more willing to invest in your proposal. obviously this is only one aspect of selling yourself though. you def need to have experience in the market that you are trying to start a venture in. but most mba programs dont accept you without relevant work experience anyways. also, id make sure your credit and background are clean as well, theyve been known to check on those things in addition to exp and education.

i had the same intentions as you, i got an mba and it has proved to be a wise investment.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2010
    Options
    as far as business school goes, where you go doesnt matter as much as it does for graduate school. as long as you go to an accredited university you should be good. but if you are planning on getting a mba or masters, you need to be more selective. moreover, you will need to get as high a gpa as you can so you can be selective for grad school.

I'm thinking about going out and working for a couple years.. maybe 3-4.. then going back for my mba when I have sufficient funds...
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've got my B.S. in Business Administration. took me 4 years...

when I was in school, I wasn't focused enough to earn a degree in Accounting, so I went with Business Administration instead. things didn't take off right away, but it helped me in securing a tight azz graphic design position around 2 1/2 years later...

if you're still in school, stay focused and make sure you network.

bolded for truth

im about a month away from getting my degree in management. took me 4 years. because management is so general, i would recommend having a particular area of interest that you would like to go in. that and networking can really help you put that degree to use
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    MBA is better IMO
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How do yall network though? Lol I know dumb question probably.
  • lady_c
    edited April 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    How do yall network though? Lol I know dumb question probably.

if youre in school, you can join organizations and or business fraternities. they make you maintain a certain gpa while also encouraging volunteerism. they have functions like meet and greets for local businesses where you can meet owners, managers, etc to get your name out there.

internships. i know some schools offer credits for taking internships, but try and make the best out of them when you take them, dont just do it for class credit. get in there and meet as many ppl as you can and do a good job so your reputation will stand. also, you may want to do multiple internships at various places.

get involved with the school alumni programs. the boosters are always willing to give first dibs to a fellow alumni.

talk to your professors out of class. remember, most of them have BEEN teaching so they know ppl that have gone on and been successful through the years. also, if you plan on going to grad school, they can be a good reference for you.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2010
    Options
    if youre in school, you can join organizations and or business fraternities. they make you maintain a certain gpa while also encouraging volunteerism. they have functions like meet and greets for local businesses where you can meet owners, managers, etc to get your name out there.

internships. i know some schools offer credits for taking internships, but try and make the best out of them when you take them, dont just do it for class credit. get in there and meet as many ppl as you can and do a good job so your reputation will stand. also, you may want to do multiple internships at various places.

get involved with the school alumni programs. the boosters are always willing to give first dibs to a fellow alumni.

talk to your professors out of class. remember, most of them have BEEN teaching so they know ppl that have gone on and been successful through the years. also, if you plan on going to grad school, they can be a good reference for you.

Yo I appreciate that. Never thought about how good internships can be for networking as well as professors... I'ma keep this all in mind cuz I need to start building my connects up soon. I know that ? is KEY.
  • paulme
    paulme Members Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A bachelor’s degree in business administration takes about four years of coursework and an associate degree takes about two years to complete. An associate degree is good for providing a boost to your career and preparing you for a bachelor’s degree if you want to pursue it at any point in time in the future. However, a bachelor’s degree is a better option if you are looking for entry-level managerial jobs. Take a look at the business administration degree offered by CollegeAmerica. Students have the option of completing this program on a fast track, which means you get to start working earlier than a traditional bachelor’s degree would allow you to.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    im in school for business marketing....im in a small town and interning opportunities are scarce especially since im trying to go to summer school....any suggestions?
  • Zeeofafb
    Zeeofafb Members Posts: 12
    edited January 2011
    Options
    im in school for business marketing....im in a small town and interning opportunities are scarce especially since im trying to go to summer school....any suggestions?

I have a 4year degree in Entrepreneurship.