Does anyone have a business degree?

Options
2»

Comments

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    A business degree is stupid too general...do something more specific a business degree is like a communications or psychology degree...only way I would suggest you get one is if you plan on getting a MBA or you can't hack accounting, finance, economics, etc
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I go to Howard U. Currently I'm a Sophomore Economics major. I got a 4.00 GPA & I'm weighing my options on if I should transfer over to the School of Business & do Finance. Alot of Investment Banks (i.e. Golman Sachs, JP Morgan, B of A) hire from Howard & Im not sure if they'll discriminate a ? because I'm not a finance kid & chose economics instead. After school, I either want to go into Banking, Consulting or go to Law School/BIGlaw. So yea....I'm in the same boat.

ButtahB....if you still post on here. I'd suggest you try

East Coast:
    * NYU Stern (Grenwich Village, NYC)
    * UPenn Wharton (Philly, Ivy League)
    * UVA (2 hours from DC, great public university)
    * Northwestern Kellogg (Evanston, Chicago neighborhood)
    * UMichigan Ross (20 minutes from Detroit)
    * Howard University (Washington DC, good for Wall Street & Consulting)
    * Morehouse College (Downtown Atlanta, same as Howard)

West Coast:
    * USC Marshall (Downtown L.A.)
    * UCLA (Malibu)
    * UC Berkeley Haas (15 minutes from San Francisco)
    * Stanford (30 minutes from San Francisco)

All these schools have good business or econ programs. If you interested in film making, you could double major at USC in the Business & the Film School (very famous school, huge network). Since you'll only be there two years, the loans wont ? you. I'd suggest applying to all the schools..........guessing you're black (read: minority), with a 3.65 & good test scores, you're definitely not a bad applicant.
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i graduated in 4 1/2 years with finance degree. i really didn't use it. after i graduated i got a job in an investment company ( mutual funds). i worked there for 5 years and decided to go back to school to get my mba in management and go from there.
  • DaCaliKing
    DaCaliKing Members Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Does anyone here have a regular bachelors business administration degree? I keep hearing that this degree isn't worth much anymore these days and that if you go the business route it should be in something more specific such as accounting, economics, and finance.

Basically just trying to get some advice on if this degree is worth pursuing. Is it difficult to land a decent paying job? and would it be worth it to pursue this type of degree and then immediately pursue an MBA after graduation?
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited May 2011
    Options
    MBA is also mostly worthless. The cat has been out of that bag for a long time. I would only recommend getting an MBA if the company you work for shuttles you into it(my story).

A bachelors in business mostly sets you up to be secretary.

If you want to do "business" stuff in a corporate environment, learn something much more technical and specific.

I would also NEVER recommend getting a business bachelors and then an MBA. MBAs are best paired with technical, industry specific degrees, so you can bring business savvy(lol) to something like computer science, engineering, whatever.

A masters in finance and similar programs are much more useful than an MBA, but it really depends on your mindset. If you don't really desire to do general business management, finance is a much better degree. Especially if you get one heavy on analytics.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ^^^^Co signature....An MBA is stupid everybody and their momma getting one...Finance, Accounting, Economics...thats where the jobs and money is at...an MBA in the business world is like a Bachelor's in Communications everywhere else