The Official 2011 Bulking Thread

Comments

• truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    kAjUn wrote: »
    That is a lot of eating...........what's the heaviest you've ever been?

That's not my diet..not sure if u realized that..but the heaviest I have been is 180
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Real talk I've been thinking about trying the lean gains method instead of "? " bulking. I need to read more on it but it would be awesome to gain 10 pounds of mostly lean mass and not have to cut. I just wonder how long it will take me.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    All you bulkers out there... what do you think of this 16 week workout? I found this workout on triedandtruefitness.com :tu

Marvin Eder Power Training Workout (one of his workouts)

Squats
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Overhead Press
    Pulldowns (or chins)
    Dumbbell Curls
    100 sit ups or leg raises.

Perform the following exercises 3 times per week on non-consecutive days. (ie: Monday, Wed, Friday)
    Sets & Reps:

Weeks 1 and 2: 3 sets of 8 reps for each exercise before moving to the next exercise.

Weeks 3 and 4: Increase the weights and do 4 sets of 6.

Week 5: Drop the poundage a bit and do 3 sets of 10. Do not approach failure on any rep during this week.

Weeks 6-10: Increase the weights and do 5 sets of 5 for each exercise.

Week 11: Drop the poundage and do 3 sets of 10. Do not approach failure on any rep during this week.

Weeks 12-16: Increase the weight and do 3 sets of 3 for each exercise, then decrease the weight and do 3 more sets of 8 reps of each exercise. So you would start off with 3 sets of 3 reps on the squats, then decrease the weight and do 3 sets of 8 reps in the squat. Then repeat the set and rep scheme with all other exercises.

Weeks 1-4: Heavy lifting, heavy eating.
    Week 5: Light lifting, light eating.
    Weeks: 6-10: Heavy lifting, heavy eating.
    Week 11: Light lifting, light eating.
    Weeks 12-16 Heavy lifting, heavy eating.

Marvin Eder
    marvineder-278x300.jpg
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    WallH wrote: »
    All you bulkers out there... what do you think of this 16 week workout? I found this workout on triedandtruefitness.com :tu

Marvin Eder Power Training Workout (one of his workouts)

Squats
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Overhead Press
    Pulldowns (or chins)
    Dumbbell Curls
    100 sit ups or leg raises.

Perform the following exercises 3 times per week on non-consecutive days. (ie: Monday, Wed, Friday)
    Sets & Reps:

Weeks 1 and 2: 3 sets of 8 reps for each exercise before moving to the next exercise.

Weeks 3 and 4: Increase the weights and do 4 sets of 6.

Week 5: Drop the poundage a bit and do 3 sets of 10. Do not approach failure on any rep during this week.

Weeks 6-10: Increase the weights and do 5 sets of 5 for each exercise.

Week 11: Drop the poundage and do 3 sets of 10. Do not approach failure on any rep during this week.

Weeks 12-16: Increase the weight and do 3 sets of 3 for each exercise, then decrease the weight and do 3 more sets of 8 reps of each exercise. So you would start off with 3 sets of 3 reps on the squats, then decrease the weight and do 3 sets of 8 reps in the squat. Then repeat the set and rep scheme with all other exercises.

Weeks 1-4: Heavy lifting, heavy eating.
    Week 5: Light lifting, light eating.
    Weeks: 6-10: Heavy lifting, heavy eating.
    Week 11: Light lifting, light eating.
    Weeks 12-16 Heavy lifting, heavy eating.

Marvin Eder
    marvineder-278x300.jpg

I just peeped this on the website and yea it looks similar to what I'm thinking about doing. I think it would be the smartest way to go, especially if you gain fat easily. It's not like you have a bodybuilding contest you wanna join in a year or whatever so u can take your time and put on the lean mass. I say go for it. I might actually do this too :tu Good drop.
  • Mastery
    edited June 2011
    I just peeped this on the website and yea it looks similar to what I'm thinking about doing. I think it would be the smartest way to go, especially if you gain fat easily. It's not like you have a bodybuilding contest you wanna join in a year or whatever so u can take your time and put on the lean mass. I say go for it. I might actually do this too :tu Good drop.
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to get started with this workout and then go from there :tu Although I've decided to start lifting on August 1st, instead of July 4th (I wanna try to get my body fat level to 10% or below)
  • PLASTIC RULES
    PLASTIC RULES Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    WallH wrote: »
    The cardio IS for health reasons lol I'm not trying to be all big and bulky, yet get tired walking up a flight of stairs :td I need to keep my wind tight. I will start off at 3000 to see how my body responds, but as far as the cardio goes, any calories I burn from doing cardio, I was going to replace.

When I cut, I dropped straight to 1500, along with working out 5 times a week (some weights, but body weight exercises mostly, and lots of cardio).

Oh yeah, those clapping pull-ups by your boy (I forgot his name)... I knocked out 17 of those the other day non-stop :tu (my first time ever trying them)

word 17 clapping pullups in a row? ur going thru the full range of motion in a slow and deliberate manner (except when u explode for the clap) right?
  • Mastery
    edited June 2011
    word 17 clapping pullups in a row? ur going thru the full range of motion in a slow and deliberate manner (except when u explode for the clap) right?
    Yes sir :tu I watched that video Shad posted a few times to make sure I was doing them right :tu I do pull-ups all the time. The more I do them, the easier they get.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    im on the same tip trying to go from 170 to 185 hopefully in the next 2-3 months, i got the supplements down i think all of optimum nutrition products are great quality for a great price, i got the workout routine down ive been lifting a long time i just have to be more consistent and not get lazy, and im limited as far as what i can do with my legs due to a bad knee but i still can get good workouts in with the machines, but one thing i never did is monitor how many calories im getting everyday, i just went over a few of the foods i eat on a daily basis and realized 3000 daily is gonna be rough and probably expensive, plus when eating fruits or eating out its hard to monitor how many calories your eating, i seen a plate of pasta has up to 800-1000 calories and ive seen high calorie protein bars (but that can get expensive), its really just gonna take me eating more of the stuff i do eat throughout the day and adding stuff like pasta, cottage cheese, etc...

as far as protein goes ive always taken whey but i just added casein protein to the diet because it has a slower digestion rate so its better to take before bed but also combining casein with whey with your post workout shake has been known to get good results, so pre workout i go with whey only, post workout and any shake i might drink during the day i mix the two (more whey than casein maybe 75%/25%), and an hour or so before bed a casein shake
  • truth spitter
    edited July 2011
    Alright I have written up a 3 month bulk I will be doing starting September. I wanna gain about 20-25 solid pounds. More than half of those pounds will probably go to my legs. I'll post it up after I finish my nutrition plan as well.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    Sweet, good job. Just work out your legs and upper body so you are proportionate dawg.
  • truth spitter
    edited August 2011
    smh this thread should be deeper than this...all these threads about how to gain weight and nobody asking questions now...

well im almost done cutting..it was a trial and error experience most definitely..my very first cut so I'm happy with what I did...next time will be much better...for example I will actually do cardio on a consistent basis...
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Like your routine. I may have to try that so I can get some more bulk.
  • truth spitter
    edited September 2011
    Aight fellas this thread is dead but imma keep it alive with my updates I guess. I'm starting my bulk today, getting ready to hit the gym soon. Plan to bulk for 3 months and put on some solid mass then cut til spring and see where I'm at. My laptop is broken and I'm on my iPad so I don't know how to copy and paste my workout plan but it's similar to what Wall H posted.

Be back with my weight and feelings after my first workout. Today is back and biceps.
  • truth spitter
    edited September 2011
    Aight fellas this thread is dead but imma keep it alive with my updates I guess. I'm starting my bulk today, getting ready to hit the gym soon. Plan to bulk for 3 months and put on some solid mass then cut til spring and see where I'm at. My laptop is broken and I'm on my iPad so I don't know how to copy and paste my workout plan but it's similar to what Wall H posted.

Be back with my weight and feelings after my first workout. Today is back and biceps.

Weighed in at 163ish......good start.....felt good lifting heavy and taking long rest periods....I feel the consequences in my back already.....bout to stretch and eat something....shouts to million knives for sending me a post workout drink idea....even though he was supposed to send me a few more smh lol....tomorrow is chest and shoulders I believe
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I'm about 170 and damn near a quarter your size...

But yh I'm lookin' to put on some weight...Mega Gainer FTW
  • truth spitter
    edited September 2011
    I weighed in today at almost 167 pounds..that's almost a 4 pound increase since Monday....my weight will even out after a while though...a lot of that is water

I had legs today and I did squats for my first exercise...I started off light and felt like it was a good warm-up but afterwards my back was killing me...I couldn't even deadlift 135 lbs so I just did some leg extensions and calves then bounced...I got a icey hot patch right now...I gotta make sure my form is good cause I can't get injured seriously this year...I gotta get to my goals
  • PAPALAS
    PAPALAS Members Posts: 122
    edited September 2011
    i found some good supps called m1 and natadrol from lg science.. good ish...
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    PAPALAS wrote: »
    i found some good supps called m1 and natadrol from lg science.. good ish...

? stop playing with that weak ? and with out a good clean diet and eating like a horse that aint going to do ? . I hope your PCT is on point, all the money you wasted on that ? pro-hormone you could of got you some real gear.
  • truth spitter
    edited September 2011
    yea so on Monday(Sep 12) I was 168...last day in the gym was on Tuesday cause my back was acting up again...I'm going to take out squats, deadlifts, and any other exercises that irritate my lower back for the moment until it heals up 100%...
  • truth spitter
    edited September 2011
    Went back yesterday after almost a week out...lower back still irritating me so I will continue to avoid exercises that require it....stepped on the scale yesterday and I was 170...eeek....today is chest, shoulders, triceps....
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    gained almost half of inch on my arms but only gained a few solid lbs

weight keeps fluctuating

anyone of yall have progress in one area but not much else?
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited September 2011
    Went back yesterday after almost a week out...lower back still irritating me so I will continue to avoid exercises that require it....stepped on the scale yesterday and I was 170...eeek....today is chest, shoulders, triceps....

Truth, your lower back may be bothering you because it's most likely underdeveloped compared to your quads/glutes. Alot of people have this problem and have to work on it, myself included. Ease off the squat weight, and throw in some specific lower back exercises like lower back extensions. I don't know what your core routine is like, but make sure you're not neglecting abs either since you'll needs abs as much as a lower back to avoid that irritation. Then you can throw some heavier weight back on that bar.

Hope that helps.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited September 2011
    kAjUn wrote: »
    gained almost half of inch on my arms but only gained a few solid lbs

weight keeps fluctuating

anyone of yall have progress in one area but not much else?

This is typical as well. Some parts of your body will respond faster/better than others and that's genetic. OR you may have measured your arms wrong as many people don't follow proper procedure nor are they at least consistent with their placement of the tape.
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    This is typical as well. Some parts of your body will respond faster/better than others and that's genetic. OR you may have measured your arms wrong as many people don't follow proper procedure nor are they at least consistent with their placement of the tape.

yea i learned how to measure my arms off youtube vids lol

bcs i was doing it all wrong

but yea i think it's genetic

bcs i train my legs but they get toned and cut but not much mass too it

i see guys my size that are like 185-190 and i be like yo.....how we the same size but you weigh more????

oh yea my legs aren't as big as yours
  • truth spitter
    edited September 2011
    172 yesterday.....trying get back into the swing of things...back is almost 100%....still not doing squats just yet