Options
Lege|\|dary
Lege|\|dary Members Posts: 474 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Weight Room
I'm around 5'11 to 6'

I weigh around 150-160

I'm skinny as ?

I occasionally go to the gym and lift

i was wondering if their were specific exercises and diets that could help me gain weight healthily

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm around 5'11 to 6'

I weigh around 150-160

I'm skinny as ?

I occasionally go to the gym and lift

i was wondering if their were specific exercises and diets that could help me gain weight healthily

The simple answer is to eat between 4,000-6,000 calories a day. If that seems to much for you to consume in food, you can drink a weight gainer 2-3x a day which will help in achieving the total number of calories you need to consume daily.
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Make sure your workouts consist of compound moves, bench press, SQUATS, deadlifts, overhead press, bent-over back rows, power cleans (anything with a barbell)
    And you have to EAT alot...as the poster above me said.....but instead of a weight gainer...drink a gallon of milk everday for a month straight....guranteed to put on twenty to thirty pounds. Alot of people say eat alot of protein and carbs....but quite frankly if your diet has to be high in FATS....you will not be able to gain weight if u have no fat....fat becomes muscle....so u can't build muscle if you have no fat unless u trying to be lean, which in your case thats not what you want!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I support this movment

My ? do you see how much milk cost..lol
  • dreadedbwoy661
    dreadedbwoy661 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Make your own weight gainer using whey protein, put in frozen mixed berries, a couple cups of milk and a couple tablespoons of all natural peanut butter. Don't buy store bought gainer shakes, those are expensive and they have a ? load of sugar.

Gainer shakes have more calories than a gallon of milk.

Like above poster said, compound movements. I recommend madcows 5x5 plan. It's pretty much all compound movements and it's only monday, wednesdays and fridays. Make sure you use a workout journal. Occasionally going to the gym isn't going to cut it, you have to be consistent and stick to a routine.

Also, fat becoming muscle is a myth, if you don't believe me look it up.

If you want to gain weight you need calories. The true statement which should have been said is you will not gain weight without putting on a bit of fat. How much fat? Well it depends on your bodytype. I thought I was an ectomorph until I started eating like a horse then discovered I am a mesomorph.
  • Millions Knives
    edited March 2010
    Options
    yeah...milk is crazy high.....but drinking a gallon of milk a day since its high in fat....your guranteed to gain one pound a day....so if budget is a problem he could do it for a good two weeks out each month to satisfy his goals. Most good weight gainers are around 30 to 80 dollars. And the servings you get in it is extremely low for what the average person pays for.
  • ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I support this movment

My ? do you see how much milk cost..lol

exactly he said drink a gallon of milk a day,lol, shiiiiiiiiiiit thats a whole lot of money to be spending on just milk a day,
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    all i can tell you is eat lots and lots of potatos,steaks, and drink plenty of milk/muscle milk after or before you work out.
  • dreadedbwoy661
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Muscle milk has a ? load of sugar, drink that if you want to be pilsbury dough boy.

Depends on your goals, I like a clean bulk. If you want a ? bulk listen to some of the above posters.

I gave you a good weight gainer that consistently helps me add the pounds, ends up being cheaper than drinking a gallon of milk per day and also gets you more calories. My drink gives you about 760 per serving, drink that 3 times per day and you get 2280 calories compared with 1440 drink low fat milk and maybe 300 more drinking ? milk, in the end feeling bloated and getting the ? . I did the gallon of milk thing for almost 2 months, gained a hell of a lot more weight with a homemade gainer, I wasn't bloated and I didn't have painful ? . Your choice mang
  • Millions Knives
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Muscle milk has a ? load of sugar, drink that if you want to be pilsbury dough boy.

Depends on your goals, I like a clean bulk. If you want a ? bulk listen to some of the above posters.

I gave you a good weight gainer that consistently helps me add the pounds, ends up being cheaper than drinking a gallon of milk per day and also gets you more calories. My drink gives you about 760 per serving, drink that 3 times per day and you get 2280 calories compared with 1440 drink low fat milk and maybe 300 more drinking ? milk, in the end feeling bloated and getting the ? . I did the gallon of milk thing for almost 2 months, gained a hell of a lot more weight with a homemade gainer, I wasn't bloated and I didn't have painful ? . Your choice mang

My fault....I'm just now seeing thread starter said he wanted to gain HEALTHY weight. But what kind of whey protein u used for your homemade shakes.....for me I used Optimium 100% Whey Protein. And how much berries u put in your shakes BECAUSE I never heard about putting frozen berries in a drink, and is kinda curious to know the benefits.
  • Slap_Chop_Vince
    Slap_Chop_Vince Members Posts: 122
    edited April 2010
    Options
    kfc and chocolate chip cookies
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    all i can tell you is eat lots and lots of potatos,steaks, and drink plenty of milk/muscle milk after or before you work out.

• knivez
    knivez Members Posts: 57
    edited April 2010
    Options
    get your protein in brah

lift heavy at least 3 times a week.(where youre maxing out at 6-8 or 8-10 reps. meaning by that last rep you're struggling some but can still finish in good form) consume at least 200g of protein a day.you can consume more if you can but 200 is a good starting point. i recommend whey protien during the day or after workouts and cassein protien before you go to sleep. and up your maintenance to another 500-1000 calories. I'd start out at 500 and see the results before adding more. you can clean bulk. a lot of times guys will just eat any and everything to get big but that doesn't always work out too well. good luck
  • dreadedbwoy661
    edited April 2010
    Options
    My fault....I'm just now seeing thread starter said he wanted to gain HEALTHY weight. But what kind of whey protein u used for your homemade shakes.....for me I used Optimium 100% Whey Protein. And how much berries u put in your shakes BECAUSE I never heard about putting frozen berries in a drink, and is kinda curious to know the benefits.

100% whey protein, no flavor.

I put 2 cups of frozen mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries and blueberries), 2 tbs all natural peanut butter, 2 scoops whey, 3 cups low fat milk.

Berries have all kinds of benefits for you. A lot of people don't get the proper serving of fruits and vegetables in their diet, anti-oxidants, vitamis, various health effects of the berries, energy, prevent diseases, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure. Tons of information on the benefits of eating fruit out there.