Eric Bolling, Fox Business host apologizes for 'racist' Obama 'hoodlum in the hizouse

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
A Fox Business host is apologizing for what critics insist are racist insults that he hurled at President Obama.

Conservative host Eric Bolling created a firestorm Friday by blasting the commander-in-chief's recent visit with Ali Bongo Odimba, the controversial president of Gabon, who has been accused of human rights violations and corruption.

"Guess who's coming to dinner? A dictator," griped Bolling, saying of the President, "It's not the first time he's had a hoodlum in the hizzouse."

He then showed a photo of rapper Common, who recently appeared at a poetry event at the White House despite an outcry from conservatives that his material included lyrics about killing cops and burning former President George W. Bush.

"What's with all the hoods in the hizzy?" the conservative host asked again on Fox.

His statements quickly drew ire from the left.

The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg described the segment as "open and revolting racism at Fox," adding "Bolling and his Fox supervisors may not be aware of this, but there are many independent nations in Africa, and the United States has diplomatic relations with nearly all of them."

Liberal group and Fox watchdog Media Matters insisted the network must take action.

"Calling the president of Gabon and Common 'hoods in the hizzy' is not colorful commentary, it is overt racism," said the organization's vice president, Ari Rabin-Havt, in a statement. "There need to be consequences for this type of rhetoric."

Kevin Magee, Executive Vice President of FOX Business, said, "I spoke with Eric and his producer yesterday and we all agree the line was crossed, thus last night’s apology. We now consider the matter closed."

Bolling, who had previously been criticized for ripping Obama on Twitter for "chugging 40s in IRE while tornadoes ravage MO," initially defended himself.

"Is ABC racist? Or USA Today? Or just me because I work for Fox?" Bolling tweeted on Sunday.

But on Monday evening, he took a step back.

"One editorial note. On Friday, we did a story about the President meeting with the president of Gabon," said Bolling.

"We got a little fast and loose with the language, and we know it's been interpreted as being disrespectful, and for that, I'm sorry

Comments