[DROPPED!] Kendrick Lamar Section 80 - Album of the Year, Thus Far?

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
According to MTV Section .80 is not entirely produced by j. Cole and that is a separate project...

When covering the New West, the name Kendrick Lamar will inevitably pop up. The Compton rapper has managed to convert mixtape and hip-hop blog adulation into a co-sign from Dr. Dre, who'll be contributing to his forthcoming Section .80 album.

Despite his high-profile admirer, Kendrick remains focused on his grassroots grind and is signed to independent label Top Dawg Entertainment. The 23-year-old and his fellow TDE labelmates — Jay Rock, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q, all high-caliber hip-hop prospects in their own right — joined forces and formed Black Hippy. The talented rap quartet share a love for deft wordplay over thumping beats (see "Zip That Chop That" and "Rolling Stone"), making them one of L.A. hip-hop's most highly anticipated crews. More amazing is that most of their music is created in a tiny studio.

"Sometimes it gets a little difficult because there's four or five of us, so we somehow manage to squeeze in enough time to get our work done as well as the Black Hippy material," Ab-Soul explained to MTV News.

Thankfully, cramped quarters haven't stopped them from creating music that they continue to get out to more and more fans as their popularity grows. "It feels real good to see our music touch everybody, not just my color, his color, all colors of people and different cultures," said Jay Rock, a former Warner Bros. Records artist. "For all of those people to come together and watch us do our thing and show us love, that [gives] us the energy to do what we do."

Kendrick is set to appear on the good Dr.'s Detox and also has a joint project in the works with Roc Nation rapper J.Cole. Jay-Z's first signing will be producing 90 percent of the as-yet-untitled album, according to Kendrick, who specified that it won't be just a mixtape.

But props from Dr. Dre, J. Cole and others, isn't going to stop Kendrick and his Black Hippy family from working even harder to build on the foundation they've already created.

"A lot of people will be like, 'You good now, Dre messing with you,' " Kendrick said. "No, we're not good now. We've got to go 10 times harder. Just because that man is further in his career doesn't mean he could say one word and further my career right that instant. I've got to have the music to back it up and prove myself still."

----

Can't wait for this now... both tracks I've heard from this are great... Kendrick's the new dawn. Can't wait for the Son to Rise.

All his releases under his real name have been great... he sounds influenced by Kanye on HiiiPower. A lot. Not to mention he uses lyrics from I think Power off Kanye's album. Not quite so sure why he shouts out Thug Life at the end though!

kendrick-lamar-section-80-cover.jpg

Tracklist:

1. ? Your Ethnicity (? . by THC)
2. Hol’ Up (? . by Sounwave of Digi+Phonics)
3. A.D.H.D. (? . by Sounwave of Digi+Phonics)
4. No Makeup (Her Vice) featuring Colin Munroe (? . by Sounwave of Digi+Phonics)
5. Tammy’s Song (Her Evils) (? . by THC)
6. Chapter Six (? . by Tommy Black)
7. Ronald Reagan Era (His Evils) (? . by Tae Beast of Digi+Phonics)
8. Poe Man’s Dream (His Vice) featuring GLC (? . by Willie B of Digi+Phonics)
9. The Spiteful Chant featuring Schoolboy Q (? . by Sounwave and Dave Free of Digi+Phonics)
10. Chapter Ten (? . by THC)
11. Keishas Song featuring Astro Bot (? . by Tae Beast of Digi+Phonics)
12. Rigamortis (? . by Willie B of Digi+Phonics, co-produced by Sounwave)
13. Kush & Corinthians (His Pain) featuring BJ the Chicago Kid (? . by Wyldfire)
14. Members Only (? . by Tommy Black)
15. Ab-Soul’s Outro (? . by Terrace Martin)
16. HiiiPoWeR (? . by J. Cole)

Props F & L! :tu

New official video: Tammy's Song (Her Evils):

Comments

• TB.Boy
    TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Damn the day before my birthday dope im coppin this
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm looking forward to this a lot; both songs are dope, especially Ronald Reagan Era (I've had that on replay since hearing it) so yeah, good stuff. Definitely good for the future of Hip Hop.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    TB.Boy wrote: »
    Damn the day before my birthday dope im coppin this

Good present, no doubt :tu
    I'm looking forward to this a lot; both songs are dope, especially Ronald Reagan Era (I've had that on replay since hearing it) so yeah, good stuff. Definitely good for the future of Hip Hop.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of that track as well, Kendrick seems to bring that earthy feel to every track he drops... great that he's still dropping tapes. His self-titled EP is still by far my favourite though... hoping this will be at least as good as O.D.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of that track as well, Kendrick seems to bring that earthy feel to every track he drops... great that he's still dropping tapes. His self-titled EP is still by far my favourite though... hoping this will be at least as good as O.D.

Yeah, he always has some form of quality in his songs. He's not lazy with it all either which is good for him and us haha
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, he always has some form of quality in his songs. He's not lazy with it all either which is good for him and us haha

haha yeah, no doubt. Just hope he doesn't waste his time in the studio with Dre working on an album that'll never surface lol.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    haha yeah, no doubt. Just hope he doesn't waste his time in the studio with Dre working on an album that'll never surface lol.

damn hahaha
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    damn hahaha

lol You know it's true...

Can't wait for this tape to drop, he's easily my favourite new artist of the past 2-3 years... and he has a lot of cross over appeal. His choice of beats is flawless and he just fits the tracks so nicely, probably going to be the release of July.

Good Kid in a Mad City (2012), can't wait for the first studio album and I'm hoping he sticks to his low price for his tapes too as it means more people are likely to buy, including me.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Dude is the TRUTH!
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol You know it's true...

Can't wait for this tape to drop, he's easily my favourite new artist of the past 2-3 years... and he has a lot of cross over appeal. His choice of beats is flawless and he just fits the tracks so nicely, probably going to be the release of July.

Good Kid in a Mad City (2012), can't wait for the first studio album and I'm hoping he sticks to his low price for his tapes too as it means more people are likely to buy, including me.

Haha, we'll see...

And damn, another good drop and I agree, his beat selection is top quality. More fire being released from Kendrick!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Dude is the TRUTH!

Drop it for the fun of it:
    Haha, we'll see...

And damn, another good drop and I agree, his beat selection is top quality. More fire being released from Kendrick!

Definitely, I think he's going to blow up at some point if he has the right break and can continue with his fresh drops... seems he's making noise in The Reason as well.

7 days to go...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Artwork released:

Prescription pills? Gun clip? Is Kendrick going back on his self here?
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Artwork released:

Very tight . . .
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Definitely, I think he's going to blow up at some point if he has the right break and can continue with his fresh drops... seems he's making noise in The Reason as well.

7 days to go...

Yeah, I can see it happening. All I've seen on here (both boards that is) is positive mentions of Kendrick which is good to see

Also I'm liking the cover...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I can see it happening. All I've seen on here (both boards that is) is positive mentions of Kendrick which is good to see

Also I'm liking the cover...

Yeah, it's true... he's generally bringing truth in his rhymes which I think all can respect, the difference between him and other underground artists is that he has a flow that is fresh and a beat selection that fits his flow perfectly but also sounds like something you could hear on a radio. Definitely an artist I hope does break through but also one who may break through and fail subject to his record label. Either way, I just hope he doesn't change what he's doing.

It's a strange cover, I don't know its likeness to the release, but definitely like it from an artistic perspective.
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Looking forward to this. I do think a lot of the stuff I have heard from him a tad bit melancholy so hopefully he will have a few more up beat joints. I like the Reagan Era song that you posted and Hiii Power is my ? along with that Temptations joint with J. Cole. I like this cats music and hopefully he will make an appearance on J. Coles debut album.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, it's true... he's generally bringing truth in his rhymes which I think all can respect, the difference between him and other underground artists is that he has a flow that is fresh and a beat selection that fits his flow perfectly but also sounds like something you could hear on a radio. Definitely an artist I hope does break through but also one who may break through and fail subject to his record label. Either way, I just hope he doesn't change what he's doing.

It's a strange cover, I don't know its likeness to the release, but definitely like it from an artistic perspective.

Yeah, I see what you mean there. I can see Kendrick sticking with his style because I'd say it's working well for him (if/when he gets into a more popular position as it were)
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. I do think a lot of the stuff I have heard from him a tad bit melancholy so hopefully he will have a few more up beat joints. I like the Reagan Era song that you posted and Hiii Power is my ? along with that Temptations joint with J. Cole. I like this cats music and hopefully he will make an appearance on J. Coles debut album.

Melancholy music is probably my favourite type of hip hop lol. So that's why Kendrick's been a breath of fresh air, definitely agree with you on that... although tracks like P & P show that he's not just that... melancholy = sad, gloomy and depressive and this isn't, although I know it's not upbeat as you refer to it... as such. Still gets me hyped though.
    If you haven't heard it or for reference to readers.

This is more upbeat as well, determined:

Sometimes think he'd ruin his style on something more upbeat though... it's one of his best assets the fact that he's found his sound so early in his career.... to me.

Hiii Power is dope!! Liking that a lot too, as well as Reagan Era, but not as much.

Would be a good look if he appears on J. Cole's album. Definitely.
    Yeah, I see what you mean there. I can see Kendrick sticking with his style because I'd say it's working well for him (if/when he gets into a more popular position as it were)

Definitely, he's a laid back dude in his interviews and on his tracks. You'd think he smoked, but he's just naturally chill.

4 days to go...
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Tracklist:

4. No Makeup (Her Vice) featuring Colin Munroe (? . by Sounwave of Digi+Phonics)
    9. The Spiteful Chant featuring Schoolboy Q (? . by Sounwave and Dave Free of Digi+Phonics)
    13. Kush & Corinthians (His Pain) featuring BJ the Chicago Kid (? . by Wyldfire)
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    so is this a free album or a retail album?? either way im coppin
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Tracklist:

PROPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GLC on a track :tu Can't wait now!! Not looking too much into the tracklist, but 16 tracks is great!
    satyrone wrote: »
    so is this a free album or a retail album?? either way im coppin

More of an EP, it's coming via iTunes and hopefully his bandcamp. Usually at a discounted price, but the last releases were pre-hooking up with Dr. Dre. Can see it being more expensive.

Album's coming next year, supposedly, entitled 'Good Kid In A Mad City'.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PROPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GLC on a track :tu Can't wait now!! Not looking too much into the tracklist, but 16 tracks is great!

Yeah it's exciting stuff! We'll just have to wait and here it now
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah it's exciting stuff! We'll just have to wait and here it now

Yeah, definitely, can't say it's my coolest moment to write props with 20 exclamation marks, but definitely a nice look in!! Props on the tracklist.

Looking forward to Saturday now, just have to see when it drops... going to buy off his bandcamp probably if there's a choice between that and iTunes and get it at 320kbps.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, definitely, can't say it's my coolest moment to write props with 20 exclamation marks, but definitely a nice look in!! Props on the tracklist.

Looking forward to Saturday now, just have to see when it drops... going to buy off his bandcamp probably if there's a choice between that and iTunes and get it at 320kbps.

Hahahaha

Dunno how I'm gonna get it yet, I'll decide on the date probably. I'm just looking forward to getting it
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hahahaha

Dunno how I'm gonna get it yet, I'll decide on the date probably. I'm just looking forward to getting it

Definitely, is Keisha's song going to be a pop at Kei$ha or whatever her name is?

Also, it seems he switched up the production team from O.D:

KendrickOD1.jpg

Digi+Phonics is all over Section 80, but not on OD.
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Kept it real indie!!!