Will Jay Electronica Do It?

Options
Illseed
Illseed Banned Users Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in The Essence
A lot of people are looking at Jay E to really bring it home in 2010. What do you all think? I like this dudes music a lot, but I am not convinced that the masses will get it and we'll all see soundscan and be a like "he flopped!" I think thats wack, but can you brint it home for the Hip-Hop crowd.

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Ill whaddup

Thumbs up if people actually get it and grab his album. And more importantly spread his music to the masses, but there's like thousands of underground dudes out there that should also convince the masses too!!
    I like Jay Electronica and think he may do it, but there's far too many more who represent Hip Hop more. Besides, Hip Hop really ain't about the record sales anyway!
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hopefully, yes
  • biggar
    biggar Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Options
    TS is right.
    Jay E has a style that the mainstream wouldn't understand or appreciate. But I kinda like that everybody and their momma wont be bumping it all the time.
    Its similar to Lupe. A lot of fans dont get the hidden meaning in the lines therefore they think the rhyme is weak when really its going over heads.

? the mainstream, leave the good rappers for hiphop.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Options
    biggar wrote: »
    TS is right.
    Jay E has a style that the mainstream wouldn't understand or appreciate. But I kinda like that everybody and their momma wont be bumping it all the time.
    Its similar to Lupe. A lot of fans dont get the hidden meaning in the lines therefore they think the rhyme is weak when really its going over heads.

? the mainstream, leave the good rappers for hiphop.
    This dude called me TS, that sounds hot for some reason!

But yea man, you're right as well

I was listening to Bobbito's Ruby Hornet Interview
    http://www.rubyhornet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5974:rh-tv-who-is-bobbito-garcia&catid=14:rh-tv&Itemid=62

And he was talking about when him and Stretch had their radio show for all those years introducing rappers like Nas, Jay-Z, Big L, Biggie, Pun!
    He basically was saying that at that time of a wider mass variety of hip hop, Stretch and Bobbito were basically a filter. They played joints that
    you would never hear again and train peoples ears in a sense of having that listener chose for him/herself what he/she liked by listening to something different every show.
    In comparison with this era to where radio stations especially Hot 97 would play pretty much everything and it's not necessarily good and people are accepting that.

He explains it better in the interview, but basically Jay Electronica is a step in the right direction if they do decide to play more variety. Whereas to me Idda know
    because that kinda reminds me of Little Brother getting their try at mainstream for a minute.
  • zkatsere
    zkatsere Members Posts: 11
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm all for Electronica and I pray that people will cop his album or at least give him the respect he deserves. I don't really see him dropping anything but a gem at this point.
  • Illseed
    Illseed Banned Users Posts: 7
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i'm rooting for this dude...he's also got big names behind him like diddy, mos def and others...and there's always just blaze!
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Jay has a tape dropping soon am I right?

He needs to drop something soon anyways (LP wise), his buzz has been at large for a while now and I'd really dislike him becoming another Saigon. It's great to see his creativity all over his mixtapes though and I'm a massive fan of the Eternal Sunshine mix that he did.

I think he can come with it though with the right backing, I'd much rather see him produce his own 'Boy Meets World' than to see him come with a much more publicised watered down release. We'll see what he brings, but dude is talented.

To answer the thread, he has just as much of a chance as anybody right now. He definitely has the backing to come with it and has been introduced through the Rock The Bells Tour.
  • The Embassador
    The Embassador Members Posts: 4
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's always good to hear real hip hop especially nowadays when theres rarely any real mainstream hip hop. you gotta look for it. I hope he does it big and is brought to the masses
  • Lord Sinistah
    Lord Sinistah Members Posts: 49
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yeah he gonna be able to do it, as long as he can get a full project out, meaning LP.......... I been listenin to him since about 07, and he's ill, his music is timeless and never ceases to amaze me from track to track, i don't peep soundscans and all dat cause i ain't no damn label staff person who's concern is who is selling how many records, but i can tell you when he drops dat LP whenever it may be, he can get my $$$ for it! Peace!
  • Uptownsown
    Uptownsown Members Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He finnaly gettin the shine he deserves his sound is very unique for a southern artist.
  • ninefiveninesix
    ninefiveninesix Members Posts: 72
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i think he's pretty nice and his joint has been a long time comin', but really......I don't think he'll get up into that mainstream level....and what if he does? Then before you know, people tryin' to make him do collaborations with dudes beneath his level.......Gucci and them.....so it's a double edge sword...you wanna see dudes come off and get their due, but a lot of times that seems like the beginning of the end....if he really blows, I hope he stays true to what he does and how he does it
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I pray and hope that he does. ive been listening to buddy for a while now
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The mainstream won't accept him
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Illseed wrote: »
    i'm rooting for this dude...he's also got big names behind him like diddy, mos def and others...and there's always just blaze!

look at this ?
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The problem is that ? from the south gonna jump on his back.? gonna want to be on his tracks and is going to ? everything up.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The majority of people who (actually) buy rap albums are white people (and girls). Will white people buy his stuff?, probably not, I don't really see how they can really relate to what he's saying. Will I buy Jay Electronica's stuff, Yes. Can he change the route of hip-hop?, No, because white people run the industry...The only person who has enough influence to "change" hip-hop for the better is Jay-Z, and you see what he's doing, trying to make more money, changing his genre of music from hip-hop to hip-pop etc.
  • fresh.k
    fresh.k Members Posts: 465
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jayelectramandanmuhammadasalaamicarasoulaasuponawataallahthroughyamonita
  • j-boogie the cancer
    j-boogie the cancer Members Posts: 552 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hopefully if ppl support him like they say they will.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited April 2010
    Options
    he would if people backed em up.. so wont happen..
    according to rap standards.. you gotta meet the requirement - 10 gunshots and survive, at least 2-5 years in prison, a couple pending cases, able to rap to a techno beat, and call it a signed millionaire!!
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I hope so. Dude is crazy nice.

That track 'Exhibit C' is the ? .
  • he_was_quiet
    he_was_quiet Members Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    *Bishop's Voice" THIS ? SCARED! "Exhibit C" came out 12/2009. Whats taking this ? so long?!