can a person be "saved" on their death bed?

needmorecash
needmorecash Members Posts: 253
edited June 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
i grew up on the Father, Son, Holy Ghost. . i know very little of other religions.

kind of simple, eternal life with the father when you repent, confess etc. .. .

those that follow that. . .do you believe that a person can be saved on their death bed. .

as far as other religions im not sure what your reward would be once you pass. . . do your religion or faith believe in heaven or

hell .. or if you muslim. . .will 70 virgins be waiting on you. . .and if so. .. would you have to live that "true" life your whole time

breathing or can you be saved on a death bed or whatever your faith calls it

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    saved on their death bed, when I went to church and I was a believer I was always told yes. Why say otherwise though? People would like to think that their loved one (friend or family) was saved hours before death or minutes before death, why would they want to think "Oh well they went to hell..." then become some depressed zombie. I think it's in everyone's heart as a believer that you can be saved on your death bed, because 1. They want their loved one in heaven and 2. ? is "all-loving" so why wouldn't he accept the last minute proposal. I'm not a believer in ? any more, I wouldn't do a last minute plead with ? at all. My thought is why would he want to save anyone the last minute? A person is only asking due to fear of hell, how many of those people actually BELIEVE? How many of those people's HEART is actually in it? It's a last minute out of fear situation, "oh ? , save me" type of speech/prayer. Is there faith, belief, love behind it or is it just fear in the end?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Hell is not eternal nor is it literal. You don't go anywhere after you physically expire. Those are conditions of life that we build for ourselves.

Heaven is continual and perpetuating progress with a peace of mind.

If you were a devil on your death bed then that is what you are. How can you prove what you are with no life in front of you to bear witness to what you say you believe?

Like baptisms, if you go down a ******* you come up one.
  • needmorecash
    needmorecash Members Posts: 253
    edited June 2011
    @and step. . . wish you would of spoke of what you do believe in if anything

@vibe86. . .you went from believeing in ? to not at all .. .thats f'd up. . . i really cant say i met folks like that. .. i know folks that changed religions but to go from believer to atheist is kind of wild to me. . .. you mean you seeked ? for a answer or something and never got anything in return . . . im like wow
  • texas_slab
    texas_slab Members Posts: 14
    edited June 2011
    Never mind i just re-read your post. I understand now. In Islam it says that it will do you no good to live your whole life sinning and then try to repent when you are about to die. The life that ? gives you is supposed to be a dedication to him. As far as heaven i dont like to get into the aspects because i truly dont know. But i think there will be women for me when i get there. I mean ? did make the woman for man as a companion. I also think that we will be high too as in a natural high but something that feels like an equivilant to the drugs here.
  • Go figure...
    Go figure... Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    i think its possible, but if ur heart has hardened over ur lifetime it will probably be hard to accept ? even if u wanted to.

i think this is one reason why the bible tells us not to harden our hearts.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Look at the thief on the cross. He believed and he was saved on his death bed. ? bless.
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    Look at the thief on the cross. He believed and he was saved on his death bed. ? bless.

Actually, the man believed prior to that, that is why he rebuked the other criminal who was making mockery and asked him Don't you fear ? ?. He acknowledged his wrong doing as all do have wrong doing. It was obvious his belief was intact prior and he recognized who Jesus was.

DoU, how do you justify those coming up on the last day and saying Lord, Lord, and he dismisses them as workers of iniquity? That is an inherent contradiction.

And here is something to think about. The devil believes also according to the book, but his resting place is the hell fire. Declaration of Belief is not sufficient.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2011
    And Step wrote: »
    Actually, the man believed prior to that, that is why he rebuked the other criminal who was making mockery and asked him Don't you fear ? ?. He acknowledged his wrong doing as all do have wrong doing. It was obvious his belief was intact prior and he recognized who Jesus was.

DoU, how do you justify those coming up on the last day and saying Lord, Lord, and he dismisses them as workers of iniquity? That is an inherent contradiction.

And here is something to think about. The devil believes also according to the book, but his resting place is the hell fire. Declaration of Belief is not sufficient.

I believe scripture states otherwise And Step.

"38Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left. 39And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, 40And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of ? , come down from the cross. 41Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, 42He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. 43He trusted in ? ; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of ? . 44The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth."
    Matthew 27:38-44

"Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe." Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him." Mark 15:32

Both of the thieves insulted Christ on the cross. But The thief that was saved finally came to a saving knowledge of Christ after he realized that Christ was truly the Son of ? . This was unknown to him prior to his crucifixion.

As for Matthew 7:21-23, this is applicable to all those who only made profession of Christ but never had possession of Christ. This is why Jesus Christ said ye must be born again. The thief on the cross that was saved was born again because He confessed with His mouth and believed in His heart that Jesus Christ was His Savior. It was an instantaneous transaction. The thief knew that he could not save himself. He knew that his only hope was in Jesus Christ. And that is the same type of faith that all born again believers have.

Yes, declaration of belief is not sufficient. That's why you must believe in your heart. The circumcision of the heart is what saves an individual. Possession of Jesus Christ is believing on Him. Profession of Jesus Christ is believing in Him. Both are necessary for salvation. Just as Romans 10:9-10 states.

"9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that ? hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    I believe scripture states otherwise And Step.

"38Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left. 39And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, 40And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of ? , come down from the cross. 41Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, 42He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. 43He trusted in ? ; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of ? . 44The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth."
    Matthew 27:38-44

"Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe." Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him." Mark 15:32

Both of the thieves insulted Christ on the cross. But The thief that was saved finally came to a saving knowledge of Christ after he realized that Christ was truly the Son of ? . This was unknown to him prior to his crucifixion.

As for Matthew 7:21-23, this is applicable to all those who only made profession of Christ but never had possession of Christ. This is why Jesus Christ said ye must be born again. The thief on the cross that was saved was born again because He confessed with His mouth and believed in His heart that Jesus Christ was His Savior. It was an instantaneous transaction. The thief knew that he could not save himself. He knew that his only hope was in Jesus Christ. And that is the same type of faith that all born again believers have.

Yes, declaration of belief is not sufficient. That's why you must believe in your heart. The circumcision of the heart is what saves an individual. Possession of Jesus Christ is believing on Him. Profession of Jesus Christ is believing in Him. Both are necessary for salvation. Just as Romans 10:9-10 states.

"9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that ? hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Which scriptures? Because Luke 23 sure doesn't. It states:

36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”

38 There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear ? ,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

This an altogether different account.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2011
    Which scriptures? Because Luke 23 sure doesn't. It states:

36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”

38 There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear ? ,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

This an altogether different account.

It's the same account. Jesus was on the cross for 6 hours so of course during that time various exchanges happened. Both of the thieves ridiculed Him like the other 2 accounts state. And this account in Luke details how 1 of the thieves came to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    It's the same account. Jesus was on the cross for 6 hours so of course during that time various exchanges happened. Both of the thieves ridiculed Him like the other 2 accounts state. And this account in Luke details how 1 of the thieves came to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

It is not. Luke account does not say they both mocked him. It clearly states one didn't and the other did. It clearly states only one did. Read it again.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2011
    It is not. Luke account does not say they both mocked him. It clearly states one didn't and the other did. It clearly states only one did. Read it again.

Whats your point And Step? Are you trying to tell me that ? is lying? I'm not even going to entertain a senseless debate. The scriptures are 100% accurate. The gospels tell a composite story of the events of the crucifixion. Now if you don't want to accept that fine. It makes no difference to me. ? bless.