What Do You All Think Would've Been MLK's Opinion on the Use of the N Word?

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I'm just curious. Especially after seeing that Boondocks episode and also how people wanted to abolish the word on MLK day. I know that Jesse Jackson, the NAACP, and others are against saying "? " and I think also saying "? " too but something just tells me that MLK would've either had a different opinion or the same one as his friend Jesse Jackson but more complicated.

I think that Paul Mooney, a long time advocate of the word, has unfortunately finally stated that he is against it. James Brown, ? Gregory, Spike Lee, and others however apparently were known to advocate the use of it. Come to think of it, I wonder how Malcolm X would've felt about it. Maybe they spoke on it when they were alive?

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    MLK used the N word.

I'm sure publicly he would have been against it. The N word has a weird dichotomous tenure among black people. While no denying it's historical negativity it has become ingrained into the lexicon where people use haphazardly.

I don't think MLK, would really be concerned about it's usage as much as the conditions that cause this self negating word to exist. If people change then I don't think the word will be used.
    Usually people don't use derogatory terms to describe themselves unless they don't think much of themselves.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    news flash ............

MLK did use the word as a term of endearmeant to close friends...

MLK also had a great sense of humor and got a kick out of people who take themselves too serious.
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    heyslick wrote: »
    Whenever I hear White boys calling one another '? this and ? that'....something is seriously wrong within society. BTW someone taught those idiots to talk like that or they learned IT from the originators of said insults. Black people tend to set trends and they could end it....but they seem to enjoy perpetuating things instead of fixing things.

Hypocrite and confused post. White people originated the term ******* not Blacks. Why don't you end the trend you started?
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter because if MLK was alive today real ? would be saying ? him too.

This is so true. If he was alive he would be getting shunned like he did in the last days of his life by government, pastors, and the black community.

Your nobody until somebody kills you.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    It wouldn't matter because if MLK was alive today real ? would be saying ? him too.

Don't forget that ether thinks Herman Cain is a prolific black leader.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    "? that ? would be in line to get topped off with some ill dome from a fat ? redbone ? in a public park and half the ? present would record it on they phones, ? "

MLK's mind would be completely blown by the way modern black people behave, especially in the South.
  • Plutarch
    edited June 2011
    ^^^ yup hehe

But I didn't know MLK used the term. I guess I need to step my up my knowledge on him.
    MLK also had a great sense of humor and got a kick out of people who take themselves too serious.

This, however, I sensed or knew about him. Like someone else said, I don't think the "N word" issue would've been on his mind. More important things like racial discrimination, Vietnam war, etc were moreso on his mind.

As for how real black people would treat MLK today if he was alive? I honestly think that he would be some kind of hero, a la Nelson Mandela and/or Muhammad Ali. But like today, many people would misunderstood him as an apologist or a compromiser, which is so unfortunate because MLK was truly a great man. I take it that many blacks would compare him to Malcolm and the Panthers and easily choose the both of them over him.
    Plus he feels that Thurgood Marshall can't hold a torch, to Clarence Thomas

What!? I hope that this is just one of your signature exaggerations/hyperboles 2012. How can anyone even say that? I'm going to go ahead and give ether the benefit of the doubt.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    ? !!! ? was sayin ? when that ? was alive.. ? u thought??
  • Plutarch
    edited June 2011
    CapitalB wrote: »

I know that bruh. Did you even read my original post? And how does this even answer the original thread question? Well, thanks for stating the obvious in an attempt to make yourself look smarter and cooler. Too bad you didn't really say ? .

Its like when people come into threads and dont read anything so then they post some bs and make themselves look stupid. I've been telling cats, step up on your reading game...
  • CapitalB
    edited June 2011
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I know that bruh. Did you even read my original post? And how does this even answer the original thread question? Well, thanks for stating the obvious in an attempt to make yourself look smarter and cooler. Too bad you didn't really say ? .

Its like when people come into threads and dont read anything so then they post some bs and make themselves look stupid. I've been telling cats, step up on your reading game...

well ? if they was sayin it when he was here and he aint say ? .. what makes u think he'll say ? now??
    and it aint too hard to sound smart respondin to a ? thread premise since we catchin feelings..
  • Plutarch
    edited June 2011
    Ok I was responding to this:

But now you're actually saying something but its still shaky to me.
    well ? if they was sayin it when he was here and he aint say ? .. what makes u think he'll say ? now??

First, it wasn't certain whether he said anything or not, which was also one of my original questions. And that question still hasn't been fully answered yet imo. So saying that he didnt say ? may be getting ahead of yourself. Second, the original thread question is merely a hypothetical one based on people's opinions of him, and today is very different from the 60s. Plus, like I noted in my original post, this is also tied to Jesse Jackson (who was a close friend of his) and the Boondocks episode in which he said the word, so I think that this question is very much valid.
    and it aint too hard to sound smart respondin to a ? thread premise since we catchin feelings..
    I dont think this is a dumb premise. I actually think it's a good and intringuing one, at least imo. And apparently, some others share somewhat of the same opinion.

So now everytime somebody disagrees with someone else, people are so quick to use the "catch feelings" comeback? That's pretty damn lame. As if I called you any names and wrote in all caps. Maybe you were the one that caught feelings? Anyways, I dont catch feelings, I'm well aware that this is only the internet homie.
  • CapitalB
    edited June 2011
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Ok I was responding to this:

But now you're actually saying something but its still shaky to me.

First, it wasn't certain whether he said anything or not, which was also one of my original questions. And that question still hasn't been fully answered yet imo. So saying that he didnt say ? may be getting ahead of yourself. Second, the original thread question is merely a hypothetical one based on people's opinions of him, and today is very different from the 60s. Plus, like I noted in my original post, this is also tied to Jesse Jackson (who was a close friend of his) and the Boondocks episode in which he said the word, so I think that this question is very much valid.

I dont think this is a dumb premise. I actually think it's a good and intringuing one, at least imo. And apparently, some others share somewhat of the same opinion.

So now everytime somebody disagrees with someone else, people are so quick to use the "catch feelings" comeback? That's pretty damn lame. As if I called you any names and wrote in all caps. Maybe you were the one that caught feelings? Anyways, I dont catch feelings, I'm well aware that this is only the internet homie.
    ? please ..? please... That ? was payin fo prostitutes with the churches money.. not only was he sayin ? im willin to bet he was callin these hoes ? too!

and on that note ? Jesse Jackson.. if he really had love for King he wouldve took that bullet.. cause he fo'damn sure aint doin ? ..
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011

they aint real ? then, they ?
  • Plutarch
    edited June 2011
    ? please ..? please... That ? was payin fo prostitutes with the churches money.. not only was he sayin ? im willin to bet he was callin these hoes ? too!

and on that note ? Jesse Jackson.. if he really had love for King he wouldve took that bullet.. cause he fo'damn sure aint doin ? ..

Nah I wasnt saying that I wasn't sure whether he said it or not, I was saying that I wasnt sure whether he said anything about saying it or not. And I know that he was shady with women. I'm not sure about him calling them hoes though lol. But it wouldnt surprise me.

I'm not a big fan of Jesse Jackson either. What you said about him is kind of what Game said about him in "Letter to the King" and there's some truth to both. All that aside, Jackson is a poor man's version of King. The time somebody as great as King comes around again will be a very long long time.