Blue Scholars - Cinemetropolis Out Now. Receives 8.5/10, John DeLorean Track Inside

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
blue-scholars-cinemetropolis.jpg&h=500?w=560

Blue scholars are a duo from Seattle, Washington. They started making noise around 2005 when they dropped self-titled release 'Blue Scholars', which was well-revieved here in The Essence at that time. They have since released Bayani and now in 2011, Cinemetropolis. It's available for download via their bandcamp but I'm hoping it'll become available via UGHH in the near future.

Track from Cinemetropolis:

Title track from their previous album, Bayani:

Always been a fan, particularly of their production but also for their conscious lyrics. Looking forward to checking this release out!!!

Shortened review:
as reviewed by Pete T.

"Cinemetropolis" doesn't really play like a celebration of cinema, because it feels like so much more—a celebration of Seattle, of music, of art, and of life itself. Right down to the most unassuming beat and conversational lyric, everything feels epic. With neither standouts nor lowlights, it's such a huge and lush project it's impossible to imagine a label marketing it. "Cinemetropolis" is a vision and potential realized for Blue Scholars, with Geo completing the transformation from a guy who wrote ridiculously dope verses to a bona fide master of celebrations and Sabzi cementing his status as one of hip hop's forerunners. Less personal and more universal than past efforts, it arrives at a sound for their hometown that reflects the city's progressive and worldly citizens. Before I run out of adjectives, I'll just say to peep this, for while the revolution may not be televised, Blue Scholars' will be cinematized.

Music Vibes: 9 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 8 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 8.5 of 10

Anyone heard it yet?