Herman Cain doesn't want to be called "African American" anymore

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I dont know about most of ya but i'd feel weak if I didnt embrace the african blood in veins ....

african american isn't acceptable .... ok call me african .
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    No surprise there, what'd you expect from a black republican of all things.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    (ThyBlackMan.com) Republican Presidential Candidate Herman Cain has announced that he doesn’t appreciate the idea of being labeled an “African American.” During an interview with Bloomberg, Cain said that he prefers to be called an “American,” stating that the word “African” on the front of his racial identity limits him and inaccurately describes who he is.

That seems reasonable and true to me, even though I don't see the big deal. And especially for this reason, he should be able to do whatever the hell he wants to do.
    “African-Americans/Blacks/Negroes have no true sense of identity,” Gaynor wrote. “If you’re African-American, you’re more than likely far removed from the African continent and culture.”

False. Or at least not necessarily true.
    For some reason, Cain seems to think that by connecting himself with those who enslaved his forefathers, he is somehow attached to the heritage of his blue eyed brothers and sisters. But the reality is that when he denies his genealogical roots, he is disrespecting those who carried the blood that runs through his veins. Personally, I’d be ashamed to have a great grandchild who decided to negate my connection to him simply because he knows nothing of his history. Instead, I would expect him to do the research necessary to learn where he comes from, rather than pretending that he came from someplace else.

Dogmatic ? . Another example of an individual forcing his arbitrary opinions on another individual.

If an American black has "no" connection or wants no connection to Africa, that's his choice. Let him do him, and you worry about doing yourself. As for me, I dont care either way about being labeled an African American. I know it's just a label and we must endure labels, especially here in America. But all in all, I define myself regardless so it doesn't matter what anyone calls me.