What sports moments are overrated to you?

Options

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    313 wayz wrote: »
    Most if not all of the baseball stats before baseball was desegregated. Can you imagine if some of the cats from the ? League were allowed to play Major League Baseball during the time that MLB was segregated?

most wouldn't have been able to hit the pitching
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    the way the media(espn) had all this coverage of basically lebron after the heat lost.....i mean i couldnt turn it on without the bottomline showin tweetes,quotes...clevelands reaction.....2 me they ran that ? way to much...dude team lost...congrats to the other team and keep it movin....

My friend is a Eagles fan and he hates the cowboys. yet he was rooting for the mavericks to beat the Heat. lol

I told him, "those same cowboy fans you dont like are wearing maverick jerseys." He didnt know what to say. lol

Its like everybody was either a Miami hater or on the miami bandwagon. Which I think the nba and ESPN wanted in the first place. Mission accomplished.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    most wouldn't have been able to hit the pitching

best pitchers were in the ? leagues tho
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The Jordan switch hands play vs the Lakers in 91- nobody was at the rim to contest it, it was an open lay up that he decides to get fancy with it
  • rakim ii
    rakim ii Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jordan switching hands vs. the lakers
    We have a winner folks
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jordan switching hands vs. the lakers

Beat me 2 it.....my son can do that move.....
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    that ? ass willie mays catch.
    ? underwhelming as ? .
    endy chavez in the playoffs ? was much better
  • Darius
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    that ? ass willie mays catch.
    ? underwhelming as ? .
    endy chavez in the playoffs ? was much better

cosign. at the time it was probably one of the best, but now a days catches like that are routine.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The Jordan layup is easily the most overrated moment IMO.
    And that John Starks dunk, he dunked on NO ONE, but they make it seem like he dunked on the entire Bulls roster.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This....

1297295125.jpg

...I mean, it was a big game (obviously) and a big play. But if you look at that catch, that's the kind of ? TE's in the game today do all the time. There are clutch plays and catches in *EVERY* game, so I never quite understood why that was so lauded. I think I saw 87 year old Tony Gonzalez do that like 5 times last year....

tony-gonzalez-prm.jpg
    x350.jpg

Especially when he was younger...

340x.jpg

The throw was better than the catch, and it was clutch as ? .
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Beat me 2 it.....my son can do that move.....
    your son cant even get up that high
  • Darius
    edited June 2011
    Options
    But even tho it's known by "the catch", it's the moment that seems to be more glorified. I don't usually hear it being talked about as an amazing catch. It was a great catch no doubt but it's when the catch was made is what made it famous
  • Jay Pee
    Jay Pee Members Posts: 761
    edited June 2011
    Options
    immaculate reception
  • magic_b
    magic_b Members Posts: 282
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have to co-sign the Jordan layup. The slow motion replay made it look more incredible than it really was
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    The throw was better than the catch, and it was clutch as ? .

But there's an equivalent to it damn near every game or at least once a year (as far as last minute drives are concerned.) It just seems to me like a "good, clutch, play". It wasn't even the Super Bowl. It was just a clutch play late in a playoff game. There's at least 3 of those EVERY season.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kobe bryant 81 points against sorry ass Toronto Raptors. They were dead last in rankings. that was overrated
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Figo wrote: »
    kobe bryant 81 points against sorry ass Toronto Raptors. They were dead last in rankings. that was overrated

I always felt that AND Wilt's 100 point game was overrated. If it ain't a playoff game or against equal or better talent -- that ain't ? in basketball. It just basically means one dude is shooting the ball ALL DAY. Big woop.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

I have to agree with this, I remember hearing people saying "Mike couldn't do that".
    Mike had plenty opportunites to do it but unlike Kobe, he got his teammates involved.
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Not a single moment, but Brady breakin Manning's single season TD record.

Topping off a 16-0 season and winning the last game of the season with the Record breaking TD is overrated how?
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    Topping off a 16-0 season and winning the last game of the season with the Record breaking TD is overrated how?

But the last game of the season was against the same team that beat them in The Super Bowl, that's what made that moment less than good imo.
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    But the last game of the season was against the same team that beat them in The Super Bowl, that's what made that moment less than good imo.

Dont remind me, but that record held weight for a long time. And was very hard to do
  • Jay Pee
    Jay Pee Members Posts: 761
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I said the immaculate reception.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    did anyone mention Mathew Staffords shoulder injury td GW
  • xtraill
    xtraill Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay ? wrote: »
    I said the immaculate reception.

I agree....

Other Steeler fans may hate me for saying that but it was only a playoff game and all it did was let them lose the next week to the undefeated Miami Dolphins in the AFC championship game.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options

i dont know man, its not like that moment is still glorified anyway, i forgot all about it. but 81 points is extrememly impressive