Charles Hamilton

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Essence
I dont post too much in the Musical Conversation forum cuz there is alot of jack ? and its packed with posts but what is your guys' opinion on CH? Despite the guys rep for being crazy what did you guys think of his music? i really liked him tbh, Brooklyn Girls was one of the few mainstream singles that i liked listening to alot. He wasnt the most skilled MC in the world but he had some good ass tracks. like "outside" and a bunch of others. I even liked the And Then They Played Dilla mixtape he made that got a lot of people ? off. i didnt know all the crazy ? he did with it like saying Dilla was the executive producer and what not, but Dilla made everyone sound great haha. But anyways what about you guys? fans or no? why not? and Favorite tracks?

I wish this guy would get his head right and come back to make some ? . he had alot of weird ? but on the tracks he did good on i loved them.

Comments

• idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i swear i was the biggest fan of dude throughout '08 and early 09. i think he was a very skilled emcee if you ask me. His multi's impressed me alot for some reason. If the pink lavalamp was his debut, he would've been one of the greats IMO. I ignore all of the stuff about him being crazy and all of his antics, i just loved his music too much to care about any of that ? . As a producer, i ? with his ? alot. I like how he sampled modern hits and classics. I hope he gets his ? together and put out them classics again. Im probably the only one still rootin for dude. And with that Dilla situation, Charles tried to claim Dilla as the executive producer of his interscope debut album "Thid Perfect Life". Charles then got alot of backlash from the whole city of Detroit and they were ready to take his head off. That was dumb IMO, but he didn't seem to be in his right mind at that time smh.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dude has a drug problem, right?

LOL @ The Dilla story, I never heard about this....

I was a fan of The Pink Lavalamp, he has some great beats and shows off a really great flow on that album. Know it was well-rated on the blogs too, but I never felt dude on the level of the two previous posters... mainly because he doesn't have that 'relate to him' factor that say... a Kendrick Lamar has (who arguably has a very similar style).

I feel that his production was really nice though, definitely my style... but apart from Pink Lavalamp, the only thing I have is 'This Perfect Life', which I didn't listen to as much... maybe I need this Dilla tape.... even for the laugh factor, lol @ saying that, that's stupid.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited July 2011
    Options
    He is a good rapper that could have had a great career if he wasn't ? bonkers. I've heard a few tapes by him, favorites being The Pink LavaLamp and Normalcy. He has a fuckton of material out there so I might not have even heard the best yet, but having a fuckton of material out there means that there is a lot of music out there and a prospective fan might here the "wrong" tape and be permanently turned off from dude.

Dude makes some great personal and emotional rhymes. Reminds me of Blu and a little of Lupe I guess. Not sure the future holds for him since I think he is still in a mental institution (which is probably why he haven't got any new music from dude in a while). I hope he screws his head back on and is able to deliver some music that reaches the potential he has shown flashes of.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    He is a good rapper that could have had a great career if he wasn't ? bonkers. I've heard a few tapes by him, favorites being The Pink LavaLamp and Normalcy. He has a fuckton of material out there so I might not have even heard the best yet, but having a fuckton of material out there means that there is a lot of music out there and a prospective fan might here the "wrong" tape and be permanently turned off from dude.

Dude makes some great personal and emotional rhymes. Reminds me of Blu and a little of Lupe I guess. Not sure the future holds for him since I think he is still in a mental institution (which is probably why he haven't got any new music from dude in a while). I hope he screws his head back on and is able to deliver some music that reaches the potential he has shown flashes of.

What happened to dude to put himself in a mental institution?
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I like dude but I think he's too soft for the game.That ? knocking his lights out was his ticket to the bench.Dude should have just put music out and chill do shows ? the youtubes.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    He got out of the mental institute and when he got out he was confined to a wheel chair claiming that he had sharp pains every time he would take a step. last i heard of him he was in cleveland and was running wild in the bars causing fights so the cops were called. when he was getting arrested he assaulted the cop. dunno if hes out of jail or not because this was all after interscope dropped him. and after the Serius Jones round 2 battle. In that video its obvious dude was on drugs. I would love to see him get back on his feet and make some new ? as well.

@ Ruff. The And Then They Played Dilla tape is pretty dope. lots of beats off Donuts and Dilla's early Slum Village days.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    He got out of the mental institute and when he got out he was confined to a wheel chair claiming that he had sharp pains every time he would take a step. last i heard of him he was in cleveland and was running wild in the bars causing fights so the cops were called. when he was getting arrested he assaulted the cop. dunno if hes out of jail or not because this was all after interscope dropped him. and after the Serius Jones round 2 battle. In that video its obvious dude was on drugs. I would love to see him get back on his feet and make some new ? as well.

@ Ruff. The And Then They Played Dilla tape is pretty dope. lots of beats off Donuts and Dilla's early Slum Village days.

Props, sounds dope...

SMH at those issues he's gone through, hopefully he will come back but he sounds like he has had as bad a time as the R&B singer, Houston.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dude was dope can't believe people blew that Dilla thing up don't they realize hes battling addition and the craziness within his mind.

He needs to be surrounded by people that cares so he can put out some dope music again dude is like 23/24ish he still has time.

Would be dope if he got better and re released Perfect Life the way he wanted to in the first place as a finish product with the interviews and ? he wanted to do.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    Dude was dope can't believe people blew that Dilla thing up don't they realize hes battling addition and the craziness within his mind.

He needs to be surrounded by people that cares so he can put out some dope music again dude is like 23/24ish he still has time.

Would be dope if he got better and re released Perfect Life the way he wanted to in the first place as a finish product with the interviews and ? he wanted to do.

Definitely true about him needing good people around him, at 23/24, those are issues nobody should be dealing with (at that age).