Underground ThrowBack ~ A Piece of Strange - CunninLynguists

Ishi
Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Essence
Dropped in 06 has been getting alot of play from me lately Album cover is amazing has some dope tracks on it from start to end.

cun3.jpg

Here are some tracks you should peep if you haven't heard the album

Cunninlynguists-Since When

Cunninlynguists - The Light

CunninLynguists - Remember Me (Abstract/Reality

How do yall feel about the album/what are some of your favorite tracks?

Comments

• MrMinted
    MrMinted Members Posts: 44
    edited July 2011
    I have wanted to get in to these guys and felt Never Know Why but a find some of their material (Other albums as well) a bit hit and miss. Put me up on some of the real bangers from their discography?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Check out "Wonderful" "Nasty Filthy" "Appreciation"

id post vids but im at work and theres a filter lol

My favorite track off APoS is "What'll You Do"

the sample on that song is used PERFECTLY and matches the content Deacon spits. you can just feel the emotion off of the sample alone im ? its such a short song. I also like "The Gates" alot.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    MrMinted wrote: »
    I have wanted to get in to these guys and felt Never Know Why but a find some of their material (Other albums as well) a bit hit and miss. Put me up on some of the real bangers from their discography?

Check them out at my Artist of the Month about them, just click on this writing and it'll take you there :tu

They're definitely a strange group because they vary their style a lot and come across as though they smoke far too much weed tbh, but they're incredible and their hits wayyyyy outweigh their misses, saw them live not so long back either, great show.
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    My favorite track off APoS is "What'll You Do"

the sample on that song is used PERFECTLY and matches the content Deacon spits. you can just feel the emotion off of the sample alone im ? its such a short song. I also like "The Gates" alot.

What'll You Do is always a track that makes my compilations for people I'm putting on to the Underground, it is such a short song but together with Where Will You Be? fits together nicely, I always see it as a two parter.

The Gates was once my favourite hip hop track ever, the story is incredible and the concept, but it wouldn't work with any other beat!!!

As for A Piece of Strange, it speaks for itself, it's incredible. Rated by many as the album of 2006 as well. Except from my Artist of the Month:

CunninLynguists third studio album featured Goodie Mob's Cee Lo Green, Immortal Technique and ToneDeff. Kno's production was featured for the full album and eradicated any naysayers that were still around with regards to his production as he experimented further with his samples and sound. Widely regarded as the groups best album, A Piece of Strange was released worldwide and received exceptionally positive reviews with URB stating the album as "A piece of beauty".
    Some of the best tracks from "A Piece of Strange":
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    ^^ Good drop Ruff knew you would come threw we have similar tastes ha.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Ishi wrote: »
    ^^ Good drop Ruff knew you would come threw we have similar tastes ha.

What were your thoughts on Oneirology?

Here's the concert I went to:

Went to see them last night, great show, small venue but was pretty packed with around 150 people...

Pack FM opened up after a 2 hour DJ set that was a bit repetitive and could have leant its hand more towards the independent crowd, picked up in the latter stages as the DJ started to play hits from the Pharcyde and ODB - Shimmy Shimmy Ya!

Pack FM then came out and was well-received, he warmed up the crowd by crowd surfing and various chants, quite funny as well with his '? hate rappers' that he portrayed throughout his set, naming some acclaimed underground acts such as Atmosphere before saying 'what the ? is a Rick Ross?' lol.

As he left the introduction to Oneirology kicked in and they began to take us through their hits, including KKY, Seasons, Lynguistics and Mexico... they put on a great set, comical on stage with Kno's self-hate racist jokes about himself 'I'm white, so I can't stay on the beat' whilst Mary Jane continued to get love and attention throughout the night with some funny faces from Deacon and Natti about their love for her and eating it...

After the show, my only complaint was that they didn't play 'The Gates' nor did they finish with a great track, in fact, as a CL head, I can only assume the last track was from one of their Strange Journeys (which I wasn't as fond of) as I didn't know what it was... nevertheless, I was thankful they made the journey and put on a great show, Kno even entered the crowd and was around 10 feet from where I was stood... but I took some pics on my iPhone, they're attached below (admittedly not great quality):
    IMG_1327.jpg

^^^^^^^^Kno in the crowd^^^^^^

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Next up, Black Star, Rakim and De La Soul...
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    What were your thoughts on Oneirology?

Here's the concert I went to:

Went to see them last night, great show, small venue but was pretty packed with around 150 people...

Pack FM opened up after a 2 hour DJ set that was a bit repetitive and could have leant its hand more towards the independent crowd, picked up in the latter stages as the DJ started to play hits from the Pharcyde and ODB - Shimmy Shimmy Ya!

Pack FM then came out and was well-received, he warmed up the crowd by crowd surfing and various chants, quite funny as well with his '? hate rappers' that he portrayed throughout his set, naming some acclaimed underground acts such as Atmosphere before saying 'what the ? is a Rick Ross?' lol.

As he left the introduction to Oneirology kicked in and they began to take us through their hits, including KKY, Seasons, Lynguistics and Mexico... they put on a great set, comical on stage with Kno's self-hate racist jokes about himself 'I'm white, so I can't stay on the beat' whilst Mary Jane continued to get love and attention throughout the night with some funny faces from Deacon and Natti about their love for her and eating it...

After the show, my only complaint was that they didn't play 'The Gates' nor did they finish with a great track, in fact, as a CL head, I can only assume the last track was from one of their Strange Journeys (which I wasn't as fond of) as I didn't know what it was... nevertheless, I was thankful they made the journey and put on a great show, Kno even entered the crowd and was around 10 feet from where I was stood... but I took some pics on my iPhone, they're attached below (admittedly not great quality):
    IMG_1327.jpg

^^^^^^^^Kno in the crowd^^^^^^

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Next up, Black Star, Rakim and De La Soul...

I liked it they came through with the lyrics. Kno came through on production it was smooth, dark and lax but at times felt like some songs lingered especially when i gave it another listen a few nights ago at night.

Overall i was feeling it loved the artwork and just the idea of Oneirology itself

Great concert by the way it sounds like something i would loved.

That's another thing I'm looking forward to in college in calii i need to hit up some concerts always wanted my first concert to be a MF doom.

Nice pictures too iphone quality wasn't that bad lol

What was your favorite track on it?
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Ishi wrote: »
    I liked it they came through with the lyrics. Kno came through on production it was smooth, dark and lax but at times felt like some songs lingered especially when i gave it another listen a few nights ago at night.

Overall i was feeling it loved the artwork and just the idea of Oneirology itself

Great concert by the way it sounds like something i would loved.

That's another thing I'm looking forward to in college in calii i need to hit up some concerts always wanted my first concert to be a MF doom.

Nice pictures too iphone quality wasn't that bad lol

What was your favorite track on it?

Definitely a nice concept album, was a really good concert, but they never performed The Gates, which was really annoying... as that's the one track I hoped for all night.

lol. Yeah, I should take a better camera next time though!

I think 'Stars Shine Brightest' was my favourite track, mainly because I thought Natti killed the first verse and stole the best verse on the whole album:
    Natti wrote:
    You can only see the stars when it’s Don Cheadle black
    when the chips are down who dips and who reacts?
    folding under pressure ain’t get us to where we at
    when all hope’s lost you battle to get it back
    in fact, dark times are when heroes shine
    without them sour grapes there would be no wine
    let your ego dine, adversity for breakfast
    zero pride, in settling for less then
    fighting tooth and nail, no matter who prevails
    instead of wishing on a star grab a comet by the tail
    your ship ain’t coming in, then you got to make a sale
    catch the wind and make it sail and hit the ground runnin’
    til ya heartbeat sound like a battle drum thumpin’
    those talking ‘bout failure ain’t talkin’ ‘bout nothin’
    you may weather the storm if you don’t stop punchin’
    reach for the stars and you might just touch ‘em

@ Bolded, that was the dopest line I'd heard in months... don't know if that was just me, but it was a line that gave me the shivers, dope group.

Find their recent interview in Germany here.