New PlayStation 3 Update Removes Linux Support

joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in IllGaming
Firmware disables "Install Other OS" system feature available in all pre-slim models.

March 28, 2010 - Sony plans to release a new Playstation 3 firmware update worldwide this week in hopes of combating potential software piracy.

System update v3.21 will disable the console's "Install Other OS" feature, which allowed users to install the Linux operating system. The feature is currently only available in PlayStation 3 models released prior to the "slim" redesign that launched in September 2009. The update will go live on April 1.

SCEA's corporate communications director Patrick Seybold notes on the PlayStation Blog the feature is being removed due to "security concerns."

"In addition, disabling the "Other OS" feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system," Seybold wrote.

Those who use Linux can choose not to upgrade, however, Sony lists several features that will no longer be available:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat

* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later

* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)

* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later
"For those PS3 users who are currently using the "Other OS" feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the "Other OS," as they will not be able to access that data following the update," Seybold added.

IGN has contacted Sony for additional details. We'll keep you updated if we hear more.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1080373p1.html

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    So if you choose to NOT upgrade, your PS3 is basically going to be unusable?
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2010
    Yep.........I think this has something to do with the guy that said he actually hackedone a couple months ago. I believe he sat down with Sony and showed them how it was done.
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited March 2010
    dam sony dont play that ? ....
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2010
    Best part about it is the hate being levelled at Sony for this move.

Every complaint starts with: "I've never used this feature BUT ...................... and a list a "if I did etc. etc." lol lol

Most of the people complaining never even knew the feature existed. And some of the complainers are people that have the Slim models that don't even have the feature to start with.
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Every complaint starts with: "I've never used this feature BUT ...................... and a list a "if I did etc. etc." lol lol

Most of the people complaining never even knew the feature existed. And some of the complainers are people that have the Slim models that don't even have the feature to start with.

well i have a 80gb mgs4 ps3 thatr has linux on it...i also got a slim that i dont use...guess its time to use the slim lol
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010

Pretty much, ppl complaining bout ? they never used. I could care less
  • music_man_2007
    music_man_2007 Members Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    I mean, no matter what kind of update it is if I have to download it to play my system then I am gone download it...
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2010
    well i have a 80gb mgs4 ps3 thatr has linux on it...i also got a slim that i dont use...guess its time to use the slim lol

What are/were the advantages of having linux? or other OS?
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
    What are/were the advantages of having linux? or other OS?

well for starters it basically becomes a pc after u install it....i browse on Firefox,run word processors,but most importantly i have a super nintendo emulator installed so im playin my favorite snes games from my ps3

linux is open source it alliows you to see all the code that makes it up.....which allows you to hack the ps3...im not that advanced yet to hack it but somebody said that a guy already did and im pretty sure it was through being able to see all the code from installing linux

long story short if you have a pc your better off installing linux on that to be honest i just wanted to see if i could do it lol i bought a wii for the same reason.....more than likely im gonna upgrade...i love my fatboy too much not to be able to use it no atl
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    So if you choose to NOT upgrade, your PS3 is basically going to be unusable?

one way around this would be to have two harddrives. on for your linux boot and one for your PSN account.
    it might be a little bit of trouble, but it would be the only way around this unless the hacker community finds a way around it.

psp hacker community>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ps3 hacker community
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    one way around this would be to have two harddrives. on for your linux boot and one for your PSN account.
    it might be a little bit of trouble, but it would be the only way around this unless the hacker community finds a way around it.

wii hacker community>>>>>>>>all
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    wii hacker community>>>>>>>>all

.negative.
    Terminator3-09.jpg
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2010
    well for starters it basically becomes a pc after u install it....i browse on Firefox,run word processors,but most importantly i have a super nintendo emulator installed so im playin my favorite snes games from my ps3

linux is open source it alliows you to see all the code that makes it up.....which allows you to hack the ps3...im not that advanced yet to hack it but somebody said that a guy already did and im pretty sure it was through being able to see all the code from installing linux

long story short if you have a pc your better off installing linux on that to be honest i just wanted to see if i could do it lol i bought a wii for the same reason.....more than likely im gonna upgrade...i love my fatboy too much not to be able to use it no atl

Damn....didn't know it could do all that. I heard about the emulators part and was interested in trying it out but guess its too late now.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    smh, Sony has issues man!! What the ? is wrong with them??

It's almost idiotic for them to do this, it was on an older system, leave it alone.
    You guys down at Sony are idiots, "combating potential software piracy" is a ? front man!
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
    hold up i just checked the date its released....maybe an april fools joke
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2010
    Next month, the PS3 will be ditching its Linux operating system support — something that the console has had since it launched in 2006. There must be a way to stop this, no?

On April 1, Sony will release the next firmware update for the PS3, bringing it to v3.21. It seems the sole purpose of this update is to remove the "install other OS" feature from pre-Slim models of the console. Hacker Geohot is already working on a fix, sister site Gizmodo points out.

Geohot, a key player in jailbreaking the iPhone, is totally hacked off by Sony's decision to remove Linux, blogging:

"When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher"

Those who are keen to try out Geohot's fix (at their own peril, mind you!), stay away from Sony's April 1 firmware update. ony is quick to point out the install is "optional", but then, if you refuse to upgrade, you'll no longer be able to sign into the PlayStation Network or play any PS3 games (or Blu-Rays) that require v3.21 (or higher). Not really optional!

Many, however, are pointing the finger directly at hackers themselves for Sony deciding to remove the OtherOS support from the PS3.

http://kotaku.com/5505243/hacker-working-to-save-ps3-linux-support
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Geohot Responds to Sony's Decision to Remove OtherOS Support

Don't update just yet, he says. A custom 3.21 firmware is in the works, one that retains OtherOS support.

Two days ago, Sony came out in a statement saying that they will abolish OtherOS support come April 1st with their latest 3.21 firmware update, which is, of course, mandatory (and unlike all the rubbish that comes with April fools, real). The news are something that many PS3 users aren't very happy with, as the OtherOS on the PS3 - Linux for most people, is used for a great variety of things - from Internet browsing to programming.

Naturally, this whole story couldn't properly unfold without the man responsible for the rather sudden update, George Hotz, better known as geohot, responding to the issue somehow - I'll remind you that he's the one to first ? open the Apple iPhone and now, the PS3, using Linux and provoking Sony's "security-over-features" response.

Summarizing his blog post in as few words as possible, he has said that the ones interested in his OtherOS exploit should not update to Sony's official 3,21 firmware and should simply wait for him to figure out how to both update to 3.21 and retain OtherOS support - through custom firmware, perhaps.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7641

smh at computer geek having nothing to do with their time
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    BIGRuss wrote: »

this is true. the PSP is so damn hackable from what I heard....
  • renagade410,
    edited March 2010
    hold up i just checked the date its released....maybe an april fools joke

thats a negative updating my ps3 as we speak smh
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2010
    thats a negative updating my ps3 as we speak smh

yep......as soon as I tried to sign in I got the memo
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    well....I wish I would have gotten a chance to experiance.....really just for emulators.....oh well......
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    <
    Him not worried about this updated, him have the 1gen PS3 which can be updated later and hacked....looks like this sucks for PS3 slim owners
    34ss8ow.jpg