Whats the best eating method...

Options
ol_buddy
ol_buddy Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Weight Room
Whats the best eating pattern when trying to gain weight?

Is it best to eat 3 large meals or split into like 5 meals throughout the day...

Comments

• Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    5 meals throughout the day. Drink tons of water. Eat clean carbs. A lot of oatmeal, cous cous, fruits are always good. throw in some refined carbs with white rice and pasta. Beans are your friend. wanna do 40/40/20. 40% carbs 40% protein, and 20% fats. Get your fats from fatty fishes, meat, nuts.

At least thats what I plan on doing when I bulk.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    50 meals throughout the day. Drink tons of water. Eat clean carbs. A lot of oatmeal, cous cous, fruits are always good. throw in some refined carbs with white rice and pasta. Beans are your friend. wanna do 40/40/20. 40% carbs 40% protein, and 20% fats. Get your fats from fatty fishes, meat, nuts.

At least thats what I plan on doing when I bulk.
    *Shaq face* 50 meals, huh? lol
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    *Shaq face* 50 meals, huh? lol

hahaha typo bruh.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    There is no best method. Fabion, that eat 5-6 meals a day isn't better than eating 3 meals.

It really depends on u and what fits into your schedule. If you're hitting 3,500 cals a day u could split it up in 4-5 meals if u can't eat big plates. I know dudes who can scarf down 1,000 cals in one sitting easily so they eat 3 big meals.
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    There is no best method. Fabion, that eat 5-6 meals a day isn't better than eating 3 meals.

It really depends on u and what fits into your schedule. If you're hitting 3,500 cals a day u could split it up in 4-5 meals if u can't eat big plates. I know dudes who can scarf down 1,000 cals in one sitting easily so they eat 3 big meals.

A lot of people can do that actually...if you consider going to a eatery and drinking 2 of their fountain cokes which could be anywhere from 140-220 calories a cup depending on the size. Along with the way things are prepared you could easily eat 1500 cals in one sitting if you are eating bad food.

But supposedly the science behind eating 5 meals a day is that you eat frequent enough (every 3-4 hours) until about 8pm or 3 hours before you go to bed so that your body gets used to getting calories at those intervals so it burns the food it gets right away but by the last meal of the day it's used to burning all it's food up so quickly that it does it again and you end up going to sleep after it's burned the calories off and not feeding it. As a result your body burns it's storage (fats).

Thats how it was explained to me at least. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and helpful tip is to try to keep yourself from drinking any of your calories unless it's meal replacement shakes or what not. Otherwise water is the way to go.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    im_lux wrote: »
    A lot of people can do that actually...if you consider going to a eatery and drinking 2 of their fountain cokes which could be anywhere from 140-220 calories a cup depending on the size. Along with the way things are prepared you could easily eat 1500 cals in one sitting if you are eating bad food.

But supposedly the science behind eating 5 meals a day is that you eat frequent enough (every 3-4 hours) until about 8pm or 3 hours before you go to bed so that your body gets used to getting calories at those intervals so it burns the food it gets right away but by the last meal of the day it's used to burning all it's food up so quickly that it does it again and you end up going to sleep after it's burned the calories off and not feeding it. As a result your body burns it's storage (fats).

Thats how it was explained to me at least. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and helpful tip is to try to keep yourself from drinking any of your calories unless it's meal replacement shakes or what not. Otherwise water is the way to go.

Yeah man that isn't really true. I bought into that when I first started working out..thinking I had to spread my meals out every 3 to 4 hours...but its complete BS...your body isn't thinking about meal timing lol...as long as u hit your macros and cals at the end of the day u are fine
  • ol_buddy
    ol_buddy Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    appreciate the input @ lorenzo, truth, & im_lux
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Calories are calories. It doesn't matter how you eat your still going to get them regardless.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    When your trying to gain size eat ? plain and simple what you do in the gym will be your true results. Just know cutting down will be a ? .