let's discuss the Epidemic of ? in Church

Options
sickbizzle
sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Social Lounge
all the way up to and covered up by the Pope. here's quick run-down of the latest:

Wisconsin

• Last week, the New York Times reported that from 1950 to 1974, Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy worked as a counselor at an acclaimed school for deaf children in Wisconsin, where he molested at least 200 young boys. Several bishops alerted the Vatican that Murphy had been accused of molesting children at the school, though his behavior was never brought to the attention of local law enforcement. Instead, Murphy was quietly transferred to another parish, where he worked with children for another 24 years.

• From 1981 to 2005, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who was elected Pope Benedict XVI n 2004, headed the Vatican department responsible for investigating and acting on such allegations, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

• When the Wisconsin bishops finally initiated disciplinary action against Murphy through a secret canonical trial in the mid-'90s, the accused priest penned a letter of protest to Cardinal Ratzinger. Citing his failing health and his earlier repentance for his actions, Murphy pleaded, "I simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood. I ask your kind assistance in this matter."

• Shortly after Cardinal Ratzinger received the letter, the trial was halted by one of his subordinates. Father Murphy died in 1998 as a fully decorated priest.

Germany

• After rumors first surfaced in January, this month a senior Vatican official disclosed that a German priest working in the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising, which Ratzinger then administered, was accused of molesting boys. (The church hadn’t yet released the priest’s name, but he has since been identified as Peter Hullerman.) Church officials approved a treatment course of therapy for Hullerman in 1980.

• Hullerman was subsequently permitted to resume pastoral duties — a move that Ratzinger approved, even though a junior official in the archdiocese took the substantive blame for putting Hullerman back into parish work — and into the path of more young children.

• Hullerman continued working with boys, and was convicted in 1986 on sexual molestation charges. Even so, he retained his position within the church until earlier this month. A man whose wedding was to be officiated by Hullerman revealed his criminal history to his congregation — and only then was Hullerman suspended from his work as a priest.

• The German wing of the church — which has stated a dedication to investigating all past cases of abuse by Hullerman and others — recently hired an attorney to investigate the ever-growing number of accusations. "The cases are growing every day," said Thomas Pfister, the attorney appointed by the German church to investigate abuse charges.

Ireland

• The Commission to Inquire Into Child Abuse, an investigative body commissioned by the Irish Church, recently ended its nine-year investigation of abuse allegations stretching back 60 years. The commission concluded that church leaders knew sexual abuse to be “endemic” but did little to stop it.

In a five-volume report, the commission has collected testimony from more than 2,000 witnesses, who detailed that church officials used ? , beatings, and other tactics of humiliation to maintain a “culture of self-serving secrecy.”

• Benedict XVI released a pastoral letter in response to the report, condemning the abuse of children by priests in Ireland as “sinful and criminal.” Catholic leaders read the missive before their congregations throughout the country — even though a writer for the Irish Times complains that the statement "ignores reality" by trying to deflect blame onto secular culture and moral relativism.

Recently, the Vatican has gone on the attack, accusing the media of an "ignoble attempt" to smear the pope and his church. In an interview today with MSNBC, Father Thomas Reese, a senior fellow at Georgetown Univeristy's Woodstock Theological Center, responded: "I'm afraid that in Europe they may be making some of the same mistakes that the American bishops made. It does no good to attack the media. This all sounds like excuses."

Additionally, more cases of abuse are currently percolating in other parts of Europe, such as Austria, Italy, the Netherlands and Switzerland.

how does this make you feel as a Christian?

If you've never had to rush a child to the ER to have lacerated intestines stitched back together; if you never had to hold a child who trembled and shuddered each time he/she had to go ? ; if you never had to wash the blood from their underwear or take them to ER to have their esophagus repaired; if you never looked into a pup tent covered in blood from slit wrists or had to chase a tormented child through the woods because they were trying to escape themselves and if you never had to cut a dead child down from a tree, you really haven't seen the reality of what these demon seeds from hell do to kids.

so this has been going on for decades, if not centuries, and the church just covers it up and nothing is done about it. how does that make you feel as a Christian? can you even begin to imagine the terrible suffering of countless children that has been inflicted by this religion? i know it's probably not much compared to the Inquisition - i mean they're not being brutally tortured like the old days - but still...

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Just because you are a Christian it doesn't mean someone with psychological disorders are cured.
  • sickbizzle
    edited March 2010
    Options
    this is a consistent pattern of priests ? children and then the church covering it up.. going on for decades.. hundreds of priests are involved and the cover-up goes up to the pope.

GTFOH tryin to downplay the issue like they all just happen to be victims of a pychological disorder. it's official now your religion makes you sympathize with child rapists and you will defend them on the internet with lame excuses.
  • Darius
    edited March 2010
    Options
    sickbizzle wrote: »
    this is a consistent pattern of priests ? children and then the church covering it up.. going on for decades.. hundreds of priests are involved and the cover-up goes up to the pope.

GTFOH tryin to downplay the issue like they all just happen to be victims of a pychological disorder. it's official now your religion makes you sympathize with child rapists and you will defend them on the internet with lame excuses.

lol, i'm not defending it, i'm saying that going to church doesn't get rid of sin. And the Catholic church is a totally different institution with a huge image to protect, naturally they'd try to cover it up, but that doesn't make it right at all, its sick
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited March 2010
    Options
    when they molest little boys they take their souls
    Catholic preits must have some secret belief or truth about that ?
    after all even Jesus loves the little children
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i dont understand why these priests are not allowed to be with women. its promoting the behavior.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    i dont understand why these priests are not allowed to be with women. its promoting the behavior.

thats a lie
    i knew a preist and he was married
    just didnt wear the ring to church
    at least thats what dude said
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Its a byproduct of an unnatural rule that Catholicism holds on to. Priest being unable to marry is the root of all this. Plus it must be so rampant that if they all were punished there wouldn't be any priest left to run the churches.
    Because of the scandals Catholicism has to be the fastest dwindling religion. I personally know people who were raised catholic but now want nothing to do with the Catholic church.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    plocc wrote: »
    Its a byproduct of an unnatural rule that Catholicism holds on to. Priest being unable to marry is the root of all this. Plus it must be so rampant that if they all were punished there wouldn't be any priest left to run the churches.
    Because of the scandals Catholicism has to be the fastest dwindling religion. I personally know people who were raised catholic but now want nothing to do with the Catholic church.

thats cuz some priest blessed them with a ?
    lol
  • Darius
    edited March 2010
    Options
    plocc wrote: »

Jesus was not married, he instructed people to live as he did, but essentially said that if you can't handle celibacy then dont live a life devoted to it b/c it will only lead to sin.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2010
    Options
    thats a lie
    i knew a preist and he was married
    just didnt wear the ring to church
    at least thats what dude said

its canons law..priest is married to the church.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    its canons law..

i seen a preist who was married and he said they can marry
    i'll believe a preist before i believe you
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    Jesus was not married, he instructed people to live as he did, but essentially said that if you can't handle celibacy then dont live a life devoted to it b/c it will only lead to sin.

was it Jesus who said that or was it Paul???
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i seen a preist who was married and he said they can marry
    i'll believe a preist before i believe you

lol..ok. do yourself a favor and read up on canon's law.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lol..ok. do yourself a favor and read up on canon's law.

i dont need to read that preist cant be married in some book that goes bacc who gives a fucc may years
    a preist with a ring on his finger with a pic of his wife told me they can get married
    straight from the mouth of a catholic priest
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Fire the Pope!

On the real he has had a history of of bad decisions.. he said nothing about Uganda.. he is handlign the current stream of ? in a "hands off way" .. .. Its pretty sickening.. hes not apart of the solution and doesnt seem real strong on it.. hes really good at play musical chairs though it seems..

Immoral behavior breeds this... not the fact that you cant be married in some cases.. But i think they need to modernize an "allow" priest to get married.. but... Pedophiles will be pedophiles there is no code of honor or some ? that binds anyone else from ? .. ? disgusting.. these ? should be stoned.. there is a special place in Hell reserved for these cats.. and they are serial crimes... that one dude ? 200 death boys.. ? crazy.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i dont need to read that preist cant be married in some book that goes bacc who gives a fucc may years
    a preist with a ring on his finger with a pic of his wife told me they can get married
    straight from the mouth of a catholic priest

if that is the case, he was probably married while serving in another Christian denomination 1st, then transferred over to Catholicism. Its def not the norm, which is why this thread was made. The majority cant keep their hands off of little boys, and its is because of the fact they are to be considered married to the church, and not have an individual spouse.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Fire the Pope!

On the real he has had a history of of bad decisions.. he said nothing about Uganda.. he is handlign the current stream of ? in a "hands off way" .. .. Its pretty sickening.. hes not apart of the solution and doesnt seem real strong on it.. hes really good at play musical chairs though it seems..

Immoral behavior breeds this... not the fact that you cant be married in some cases.. But i think they need to modernize an "allow" priest to get married.. but... Pedophiles will be pedophiles there is no code of honor or some ? that binds anyone else from ? .. ? disgusting.. these ? should be stoned.. there is a special place in Hell reserved for these cats.. and they are serial crimes... that one dude ? 200 death boys.. ? crazy.

yeah, the cover up is crazy. They dont let citiznes get away with this, i cant understand why they allow this to continue.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    if that is the case, he was probably married while serving in another Christian denomination 1st, then transferred over to Catholicism. Its def not the norm, which is why this thread was made. The majority cant keep their hands off of little boys, and its is because of the fact they are to be considered married to the church, and not have an individual spouse.

they touch boys cuz they want to
    not cuz they cant be married
  • phanatron
    phanatron Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

Roman Catholic priest cannot marry and still be priest. Anglican Priest can marry and often do marry.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2010
    Options
    they touch boys cuz they want to
    not cuz they cant be married

how do you know?
  • sickbizzle
    edited March 2010
    Options
    sorry but i completely don't buy the reasoning that celibacy leads to the ass/throat ? of children. why don't they ? off instead? if i was a priest i would just ? off until the day i die rather then ? a child.

maybe it's like being a priest is the number 1 career choice of pedophiles?
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    how do you know?

common sense
    ? cant get married but they aint out molesting little boys in the church
    thats like saying everyone who isnt married will go and touch little boys
    its not the case. marriage has nothing to do with it
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2010
    Options
    common sense
    ? cant get married but they aint out molesting little boys in the church
    thats like saying everyone who isnt married will go and touch little boys
    its not the case. marriage has nothing to do with it

im not subjecting this to a ? thing, tho i see thats where you carried it and got so defensive about it. My bad, its an illness, and my opinion is that these priests (who are unable to marry) violate these kids, because they know its wrong, and think they can get away with it because they are children. Whether it stems from being married or not, i cant say for a fact that it is, its just my opinion. If anyone else thinks of something otherwise, drop it.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Dog its not from not being able to marry at all. Like i said previously, pedophiles exists outside of the priesthood.. you know this we all know this.. .. idk you cant try to understand crazy and sick.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    We are all sinners. I don't understand why people think that just because somebody is a "priest" they are exempt from the curse of sin? It's really ridiculous to be honest. The curse of sin in is in our very nature. It can not be escaped in this lifetime, thus nobody ever reaches sinless perfection. Why do you people expect perfection just because somebody is in the clergy? False expectations like this is what leads to peoples downfalls. You put people on pedastool and treat them like a mini-? . But when they fail you, people are quick to run on the defense and smear the name of the same person that they used to worship. It's pathetic.

People need to stop placing and putting their faith in MAN. He will let you down every single time. Look to ? because only He is perfect and only He can save you. Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our faith. Only He alone is perfect and only He alone will be the judge of all mankind on the last day.